Trouble with quad software...Epson 1400

Hey now:

I am just getting my feet wet with Piezography. I am using an Epson 1400 with the appropriate ink. I have had great success using another custom BW ink and am very excited to see prints with the Piezogarphy ink.

Except it isn’t working. Frankly, I’m not even certain that I have the ink carts loaded into the printer in the proper order.

Anyway, some assistance would be welcome.

Hi Runner6~

Proper shade placement is necessary to get correct/good output.
To check if your inks are installed in the correct positions, please print the QTR ink separation image thru QTR calibration mode. Instructions for printing this image can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?144-Print-Ink-Separation-Image-thru-QTR-Calibration-Mode

Have you read our Piezography manual? If not, you can find it hehe: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?130-The-NEW-Piezography-Manual

Are you printing from Mac or Windows?
What operating system version?

Let me know and I will help you get set up and happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks Dana. I am not finding the Inkseperation.tiff

Never mind, I’ve got it.

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;4861]Hi Runner6~

Proper shade placement is necessary to get correct/good output.
To check if your inks are installed in the correct positions, please print the QTR ink separation image thru QTR calibration mode. Instructions for printing this image can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?144-Print-Ink-Separation-Image-thru-QTR-Calibration-Mode

I now have this printed. How do I interpret it? I am using a Windows PC.

Attach a photo or scan of your Ink Separation print by following the instructions for attaching a photo, which you can find here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?152-How-to-attach-images-to-this-forum

It’s very important that you read our Piezography manual to use it Piezography inks and QuadTone RIP correctly for optimal output.

~Dana

I am unable to upload the file. I have very small jpg (less then 300kb).

Ok then

From your attachment, it looks like your LC ink is darker than your C, and I can’t see much of a difference between your C and M inks. Please examine the print and compare to the ink shade placement chart to determine if your inks are in the correct positions or not.

Is there an easier way to determine placement? I’m no expert, clearly, but isn’t there someway to determine the order based on the number of the cart? I filled the black cart with the number 1 bottle, the cyan cart with the number 2 bottle, and so on.

No?

Can you tell me, as I look at the carts in the printer, is the cart on the left Ink#1? I need to have a reference before I start moving the carts around.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Also, the chart you referred me to is K7, I am using an Epson 1400, K-6. Perhaps there is a difference?

K6 is K7 without shade 7 and the chart you printed tells us the inks are not in the correct positions, or have not been shaken prior to using, or have been contaminated accidentally, or the same ink is in two locations. So you are confirmed to have an incorrect installation.

The easiest way to determine shade placement is to read the installation manual for your printer model here: http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/technical-support/ This will reference each shade to each color position. This will match your ink shades up to the Piezography K6 curves. Without this perfect match the system will not be usable. So it is critical to follow the instructions for installation of the shades. That same installation of shades is available when reading the instructions for filling the carts. It is in several locations.

Moving the carts around is difficult in that prying off chips and gluing them back,etc may damage the pin readers, etc… It is not recommended. It would be better to start over with fresh carts and do it correctly. Trying to rinse the carts with distilled water may still not remove darker ink from some of the parts of the carts. Using anything other than distilled might introduce chemicals and matter into the inks as well as print head. Definitely not recommended.

BUT you must read our manual for using our system and it is also available at the above link. It is called the NEW Piezography Manual. We are not compatible with the QTR workflow in the QuadTone RIP manual. Do not follow their instructions when using our system.

So a lot to read before you get started…

Okay. So I am reading the instructions that came with the ink. There is a table with respect to placing the ink and, I presume, the carts. Black ink cart with shade number 1, etc. I am presuming that the shade number 1 refers to the number on the bottle of ink: PZK7-NU-110-1. Please tell me if this is correct. And if so, this should mean that the black ink cart goes into the slot in the printer that corresponds with the color strip on the printer, in other words, the same slot that the Epson black cart went into.

Shade location table:
“Color” position in printer Piezography Ink Shade used in this position
Black Shade #1
Cyan Shade #2
Light Cyan Shade #3
Magenta Shade #4
Light Magenta Shade #5
Yellow Shade #6

I’m pretty sure this is what I did.

yes, this is correct.

Shade 2 has been installed in the light cyan position instead of shade 3
Shades 3 appears to be missing
Shade 4 appears to be in both the Cyan and Magenta positions - if it is shade 4 it is correct in the Magenta position

[QUOTE=jon;4881]Shade 2 has been installed in the light cyan position instead of shade 3
Shades 3 appears to be missing
Shade 4 appears to be in both the Cyan and Magenta positions - if it is shade 4 it is correct in the Magenta position[/QUOTE]

It’s certainly possible that I loaded the carts incorrectly, although this isn’t the first set of BW ink I have used with this printer and I made every effort to be extraordinarily careful. I will be taking another look.

Here is a chart I just did. 2 sets of these look exactly the same.

[QUOTE=Runner6;4876]I filled the black cart with the number 1 bottle, the cyan cart with the number 2 bottle, and so on.

I need to have a reference before I start moving the carts around. [/QUOTE]

Shade 1 is correct in the Black cartridge
Shade 2 is incorrectly placed in the light cyan cartridge
Shade 3 (I believe) is not in any cartridge…
Shade 4 appears to be in both the Cyan (incorrect) and Magenta (correct) cartridge OR perhaps Shade 3 bottle was not shaken and a lighter dilution was drawn from it before placing in the Light Cyan cart.
Shade 5 is correct in the Light Magenta cartridge
Shade 6 is correct in the Yellow cartridge

You need to replace the Light Cyan, Cyan cartridges for certain. But it is not a matter of swapping them - as the Cyan cartridge appears to have shade 4 in it or a non-shaken dose of Shade 3.

It’s a little complicated in trying to remedy this. Personally I would get another set of carts and fill them correctly and compare to the chart. You will be able to re-use some of the current carts as seconds - so that when a cart empties you can replace it rather than refill it - and do the refilling later.

Once the inks are correctly installed - you must follow our specific workflow with QTR and not use any of their suggested methods or advanced settings - or it will disrupt the use of the K6 curves. Read our manual.

Let us know if you need further help on this.

added: I posted this prior to seeing your second chart - so this refers to your first attempt.

You are still not correct in the placement.

Can you get some qTips and make a swab of the ink from each of the bottles and post us a pic so we can see what is in the bottle?
You are shaking the ink in the bottle before drawing some out, correct or not?

Jon thanks for hanging in there with me on this. I don’t understand how shade three can be missing. I have used ink from the bottle marked shade three.

On a side note, I have followed the instructions to the letter with respect to using QTR. The shade chart is a pretty nice looking print.

[QUOTE=jon;4885]You are still not correct in the placement.

Can you get some qTips and make a swab of the ink from each of the bottles and post us a pic so we can see what is in the bottle?
You are shaking the ink in the bottle before drawing some out, correct or not?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am shaking the ink. I have to do some things this morning but I will send q-tip images as soon as I can/ Thanks

From left to right: Shade one through six, each bottle shaken. The paper is Hahnemühle museum etching