Scanning

According to Jon’s blog on scanning workflow (http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/blog/piezography-technical/scanning-workflow/), we are to scan from dmin 255 to 0 dmax.

Firstly, I’m using a V370, but it is sophisticated enough to allow me to set these points. However, what is not explained in Jon’s workflow is the use of both input and output levels. Epson doesn’t really explain what is going on very well either, and knowing what Epson and computer techs actually do, can anyone really know what these are doing? So, should I be setting both input and output levels to 0/255, or just the output to the 0/255 and set the input according to what I see on the histogram?

Larry

I suspect that Jon’s workflow assumes you’re using Vuescan. It’s the QTR & Print Tool of scanning. Supports nearly every scanner, heaps and heaps of options, lifetime license. UI takes some getting used to.

That makes sense. So, is there a significant advantage to using Vuescan over the Epson software? Is it worth spending $80 on Vuescan?

It is so totally worth spending 80 on Vuescan. It’s a pain in the butt to learn but it has major advantages over other software. RAW scanning is one. double-exposure/gain-control is another.

cheers,
W

Vuescan is a brilliant piece of software, and a screaming bargain, just like QTR and Printtool. Support is brillisnt. I don’t think that Ed Hamrick ever sleeps.

1 Like

OK, VueScan it is. Actually it’s $90. Actually, it’s $90 USD.

But our Canadian $ is catching up to yours down there! (or is your $ dropping down to ours?) I may be able to afford some ink in that case! Oh wait, I’m spending it on VueScan.

Sorry about the ramble. Some of the old photos I’ve scanned have SO much detail. Even for scanning at 1200 dpi, the image pixelates before the original print. Some of those 100 year old black and whites are INCREDIBLE! I actually wish I had enough memory to scan at higher resolution. I could if it were a smaller picture, but this one was an 8x10 approximately.

Can’t wait to see one of these with piezo.

Larry

There is a trial of some sort available. There’s some sort of $10 discount on, = $US80. Expect a learning curve, although nothing that would baffle a science teacher.

And it’s a one off payment, with free upgrades forever. You can even switch between Win and Mac with no penalty.

With the Professional Edition, but not the Standard.

Whoops, I bought my copy years ago for a Nikon 2000.

Thanks Brian, Jeff,

I’ll have to look for that $10 off. I already downloaded the trial, but when I purchase it, I’m not going to waste my time with the standard version.

It’s not yet clear to me what advanced features are not available in the standard version, but I might as well get the professional version anyway.

Larry

VueScan appears to not use the terms dmin or dmax. You’re right, there’s lots to learn.
Larry

I noticed that Vuescan seems to not be able to scan to the very edge of the platen. In fact, it seems to not be able to get the last 1/2 inch at least, from one side and the bottom. I’m using an epson V370.

Also, in Jon’s workflow, he recommends setting the white and black points for scanning. I noticed, when using Vuescan to make a raw TIFF, setting white and black points seems to be irrelevent when scanning RAW mode. Is this correct? That would leave setting the white and black points to Photoshop. Would this be the better route to go? (I’m scanning old photographs).

Does the V750 allow white and black points to be set on the input tab of VueScan? (There is no option as far as I can tell to set these points for the V370).

Larry

Hi Larry.

I am just looking at Vuescan with my V750 and the only mention of black or white points appears to be under the Color tab.

Regards.

Michael

Michael,

The black and white points are, I believe, the sliders to adjust the dmin and dmax that Jon referred to. However, this adjustment appears to not affect the actual scanning itself, just how the scan is saved.

What do you have on your Input tab?

Larry

Hi Larry.

Have attached a screen shot.

Michael

Hi Larry.

Have tried to attach a screen print but, so far, have not been able to get it to work.

Anybody able to help an old man?

Michael

Well, there’s this:
http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?152-How-to-attach-images-to-this-forum

Screenshots can be tricky. I don’t know what Microsoft has done, but screenshots don’t copy and paste well. It’s almost easier to take a picture of your computer screen, save a JPEG to your computer, then follow the instructions from the link Brian gave.
Larry.

Gotta use Safari to upload images.

I’m working on updating this forum to better software but have to make sure all the permalinks are preserved.

W