P8000 New Install - Ink System Error #1537

Hi All, just installed new CCPro inks in a brand spankin’ new P8000 and powered it on and after charging the ink delivery system (I guess that is what it was doing?) for a couple of minutes, I got a Ink System Error #1537 on the LCD. It said to power off and back on again to see if the error code would clear. It did not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Dear @pbanko some P8000s have reportedly had ink pressurization issues (with OEM carts, we haven’t seen this yet with ours so this is the first notice). What I need you to do is place the Epson carts in and then replace one at a time w/ the CCPRO carts. If you place one in and get the error again we will replace it immediately. If you get this error with non-oem there may be an issue with the pressure system on your printer.

-Walker

Thanks for the help Walker! Please forgive me but I could use more specific details. The Epson OEM carts I have are empty. Will they work? Once the Epson carts are loaded in, I assume I turn the printer on? Then, start replacing one at a time with the CCPRO carts (with the power still on)?

Phil

Hmm. Empty as in “this cartridge needs to be replaced” or empty as in “this cartridge is too low to do a head cleaning.” If the latter than it will be fine. Good chance it will be fine in both cases.

Yes. Sorry for the inconvenience there.

best,
Walker

Ok Walker, here’s what I’ve got. Found out that there WAS ink in the Epson OEM carts but they give you so little that you can hardly see it! LOL

Replaced the CCPRO carts with the Epson OEM. Turned on the printer and it charged up the ink and got itself ready to print. Nice. Then began to replace each OEM cart with a CCPRO cart, one at a time as you suggested. Got a “Ready” after each cart install. All the carts got installed and everything looked like we were primed for action. Nice. About 45 minutes later I glanced up and saw the same error message I originally got - 1537. Not nice. I don’t know how long it took for the error message to pop up as I wasn’t paying attention.

Any thoughts as to what’s next?

Phil

Ahhh. I think you need to re-seat the fill hole plugs. They need to be set very firmly into the hole. One is leaking air.

When you put the printer back into service, listen carefully for a few mins. If you here a little fan “whirring” every minute or so, you still have a leak somewhere (annoying). But do the above first.

-Walker

Walker, I re-seated all the plugs (I didn’t find any that seemed like they weren’t secure) and made double-sure that they were firmly set. Turned the printer on and it immediately went to the fault code again. Listened for a whirring fan for a good 5 minutes or so and didn’t hear anything. Then I replaced all the CCPRO carts with the Epson carts and turned the printer on and all looks good with them.
I should mention at this point that when I followed the video instructions IJM provided for filling your carts the instructions said to firmly depress the area where the chip gets inserted and after nearly busting my thumb I examined that area more closely and it looks like the carts went through a design change and you no longer have to do that? I also used scotch tape on the back end of the chip to keep it seated as was suggested. I don’t think either of these things would affect the pressurization (if that is indeed what is happening) but I thought I should say something.
What’s next boss?
Phil

First, I’ve been out sick all day. We’ll be sending you replacement (backup) carts tomorrow. Four should do it.

What you will need to do is listen to how long the printer takes to initialize when you replace each cart. The one that takes the longest is the one losing pressure.

You’ll get an RMA notice by email tomorrow. I’m going to need to test that cartridge to make a fix. Sorry for the trouble.

best,
Walker

Also, FYI, this is the thread about the same issue happening with OEM.

I personally think it’s an issue with the ink bays. Others have had to add spacers in their ink bays to get OEM chips to contact properly . . .

Well, it’s probably a combo of ink bay alignment and tolerances of cartridge mold making. We’re getting you out replacement carts regardless and will follow up after.

-Walker

No worries about the “trouble”! By the sounds of it, the OEM carts are having (or had) issues as well. Fortunately, I don’t have a job waiting for the printer yet. I’m just grateful for all the help.
Tomorrow I’ll do a timed test on the existing CCPRO carts and see what I get.
When the time comes I assume I can just move the ink from one cart to another by pouring using the fill plug and a funnel and then re-priming?
Hope you feel better!

Yes. That is the way.

-W

Hi Walker, I’m finally back to the studio and have the 4 replacement cartridges you sent. Could you please clarify the methodology you’d like me to use to identify the bad cart(s)? I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “when you replace each cart”.
Thanks!

Phil

One or two carts is bad.

Put the IJM carts in (the ones filled with ink) one at a time. Each time close the ink bays the cartridges pressurize. Time how long the initial pressurization takes. The one that is a problem will take longer and will probably throw and error. Fill the replacement cartridge and continue.

Let us know the cartridge(s) that you had to pour into new carts and we’ll comp you another 110mL of ink each for the trouble. I’m so sorry about this. I’m pressure testing so many carts right now. :frowning: So far haven’t found an issue.

-Walker

Thanks for the detailed instructions Walker! Ok, went through the procedure a couple of times and if the whirring fan noise that comes on right after the bay door closes is the pressurizing of the cartridge, then I couldn’t detect any major differences between them. All seemed to be right around 4 sec, maybe 4.5 secs from the time I heard the fan noise start to when it stopped. Then immediately it would jump to out of ink error messages since I was doing just one cart at a time?

Did you do this procedure? Your Epson carts show low but not entirely “out of ink” no?

1. All epson carts in,
  2. take out left most Epson cart, add IJM cart.
  3. Close and wait and verify.
  4. Do the next, etc.

_Walker

Ok, just tried your last method and may have found the culprit! All carts were taking 12.5 secs or so to pressurize except for the LK which took 5 seconds longer which I verified twice. So I’ll replace the ink from that cart into a new cart and see what happens. Sound right?

YES! Let me know if this fixes it.

And we will send you a bottle of LK to help things along.

best,
Walker

…aaaaaand I think all systems are go! I’m going to try running first prints through the printer and then head out for the weekend and we’ll see if it all holds up for Monday. Once I saw what I was supposed to do and what to look for I’m a bit embarrassed about asking for such specific directions but hey, I’m a newb. Now I know more about pressurization of carts. I’m sorry about you having to school me but I really appreciate it Walker.

Phil

Looks like everything is holding, Walker. Thanks again!

How do I send the 3 new carts to send back to you (you sent me 4), and do you want the bad one?

Phil

keep’em as backup. We can call it even if that works.