P800 Chipless firmware works in North American models

Hey everyone. I have confirmed that the chipless firmware from chiplesssolutions dot com actually works on the US (North American) version of the Epson P800. That means we no longer need to use decoder boards for third party ink!!! yay!!!

I will be posting a full video/image/text tutorial on our website soon. One thing to note, this may not work on all P800s. Epson my find a way to block the firmware update process on newer printers but for now it works. Another note, this is not software we will be selling in any way. Not our product. It is the customer’s initiative and right to use the chipless firmware and not ours.

warmest regards,
Walker

Here’s the instructions:

Walker:

Do you feel confident enough in this chipless firmware solution to use it at Cone Editions?

Bruce

Yep. We are

Best,

Walker

Thanks! I haven’t been able to find a P800 to buy anyway (other than at full list prince).

Bruce

Hi Walker,

I just pruchased a refurbished P800 and was very intrigued with this way of using 3rd party cartridges. Basically it seems to be similar to when the 3880 chips are replaced, you just monitor the cartridges for refilling correct? What would the advantage to the decoder board be since it displays all the cartridges full - even though some may be less than full or near empty.

My main qustion is, since you need a PC to load the firmware, and once it’s been loaded, do you need to continue to use a PC or can you use a Mac to print once the new firmware is installed?

Thanks,
Paul

You don’t need to continue using the PC at all. Just the one time.

best,
Walker

Great, thanks so much!

Paul

Has anyone installed the chipless firmware via a Mac Computer running a VM like Parallels?

Thanks,

Ted

That’s how I tested it actually. It works.

-Walker

Thanks. Worked for me except that my P800 won’t take a firmware update so I’m stuck using the board.

Did you follow the prompts/directions exactly? It’s been working across all printers so far. This would be the first time. It does take a long time to load the firmware fyi.

best,
Walker

To be clear, I’m first doing the test to make sure the “chipless” solution will work before purchasing the key. I followed their instructions, etc. That test is failing. It takes awhile and it finally ‘finishes’ with a message that it failed and to check the WI-FI, Ethernet or USB connection. I was directly connected with USB and the WI-FI was turned off and ethernet was unplugged.

Tried with a PC with the same result.

My P800 is a refurbished unit purchased through Adorama but I would hope that’s not the problem.

So you are using their software and firmware? I think it will only work with their software and firmware . . . .

Sorry, we do not really offer support on their product. You may want to reach out to them.

-Walker

Thanks Walker. The good news is I am now ‘chipless’. It’s a long story but their instructions suck and unbeknownst to me the firmware was updated, but the WIC software didn’t work per the instructions so I thought it failed. I saw it succeeded when I did a status report directly on the printer.