Minimum number of inks for making digital negs

Finally put some film through the printer, neg looks good except for the pizza wheel marks. Any tricks to keep it from happening?

You’re having the same problem as me then. Perfect nozzle check but awful pizza wheels. I still can’t figure out how to use front feed with A3 transparency film.

Somebody told me its because the ink is not dry by the time it gets to where the pizza wheels are. Is there a way in QuadToneRip to slow down the printing like how you can set the dry time between passes with the Epson driver?

Apparently not. Not for my R2880 anyway

No, there’s not a way to slow down the print speed with QTR other than selecting 2880dpi and uni-directional speed.

Pizza wheels have ALWAYS been a problem, we used to remove them from the Epson 3000, 1160, 1200, 1280 and other printers many years ago. We haven’t had the need to remove pizza wheels recently, so I don’t have any advice/feedback to give in regards to newer/current printer models, but expect it can still be done. I can certainly check with one of our R2880s, but we no longer have a 4900 for me to check. Although we don’t receive many reports of pizza wheel issues anymore, I think it would be worthwhile for me to look into, so I will experiment with one of our printers this week and report my results here.

Thanks~ Dana

What I was able to do with some testing today was backing off on the ink load so the film is “dryer” buy the time it gets to the pizza rollers. That seems to work but need to get into darkroom now to see if I am getting enough density.

As far as removing them, they appear to only “drop down into place” when the paper gets under them, so if the print did not reject fully out at the end the last few inches, who cares.

Actually it seems to dissapear when it’s dry. Will have to try a print later.

Found two solutions for the pizza wheels.

If printing with sheet, tape an extension piece of paper to make the printer advance past the printed area before the pizza wheels drop down to “help” it out of the printer.

or

Print on roll stock, the wheels NEVER drop down.

Thanks for the tips! :slight_smile:

Great, thanks. Can you elaborate a bit on the piece of extention paper? How big does it need to be and do you tape it to the front or the back of the paper?

Cheers!

On a sheet, tape it to the back end of the paper (as it is fed in). I just butted it end to end and used a few small pieces of Scotch tape on both sides. So for example if you are printing on a 8.5"x11" it would end up being a 8.5" x22", printing only on the first half, as the paper advances the pizza wheels drop down just to advance the last 3-4" out of the printer. They make their mark on the scrap.

Print on roll stock, the wheels NEVER drop down.

Cheers, will try it out. I was going to try a roll but they don’t sell Agfa Copyjet in a 13" roll size for an Epson R2880. A question about your ink set up. Like you I only want to use 5 inks for digital negative creation on a R2880. Do you know if I can use 5 carts filled with the correct ink and the other 3 filled with piezoflush to keep them sweet.

maybe I’ll look for a roll of a different type of transparency media to try some time.

Dana can answer that question better then me. But I would say yes. Just finished printing up some 16"x20" dig negs and printed on Ilford Warm-tone silver gelatin paper, gorgeous.

Awesome, great to hear you’re getting pleasing results. Could you post them? Would love to see. I’m going to try some large digi negs today. I didn’t quite follow what you were doing with calibrating your set up. Hopefully it will be easier with a R2880

Looks like the forum will not allow JPEG upload.

Had that problem too using Firefox. Uninstall Adobe Flash and it will accept them and act as it should. You can reload Flash later after uploading it.

Mack

Lets see if that works.

[QUOTE=Jarvman;4113]Cheers, will try it out. I was going to try a roll but they don’t sell Agfa Copyjet in a 13" roll size for an Epson R2880. A question about your ink set up. Like you I only want to use 5 inks for digital negative creation on a R2880. Do you know if I can use 5 carts filled with the correct ink and the other 3 filled with piezoflush to keep them sweet.

maybe I’ll look for a roll of a different type of transparency media to try some time.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jarvman~

Yes, if you are only using 5 inks for printing, then it makes sense to install PiezoFlush in the other 3 positions to keep them moist and in good working condition.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Nice work stillrivereditions!! I’m happy to hear of your success printing Piezography Digital Negatives and processing on Ilford gelatin paper :slight_smile: