Minimum number of inks for making digital negs

OK, thanks, will try it out.

Dana, CC:Jon

OK, time for me to kick my own ass.

It appears now that I have black inks in those five positions three of the nozzles are deflecting. I did not see this with the pink flushing fluid. Kick my ass! But the good news is I have three other positions that look perfect (I louped them this time).

So, is it possible for you to create new curves or is there something I can do with the existing ones to change which positions fire?

Right now you have me setup this way:

Shade 2 - GREEN
Shade 2.5 - ORANGE
Shade 3 - LIGHT CYAN
Shade 4.5 - LIGHT MAGENTA
Shade 5 - YELLOW

I now need:

Shade 2 - GREEN (this is OK)
Shade 2.5 ORANGE (this is OK)
Shade 3 - CYAN or LIGHT LIGHT BLACK or LIGHT BLACK
Shade 4.5 -CYAN or LIGHT LIGHT BLACK or LIGHT BLACK
Shade 5 -CYAN or LIGHT LIGHT BLACK or LIGHT BLACK

Can you let me know ASAP what ink will be reassigned to which positions so I can start the flush/change over?

Mark

Hi Mark~

Have you manually cleaned the inside of your printer, including the capping stations, wiper blade and bottom of the print head by following our cleaning instructions? What are the temperature and humidity levels in your printing environment? I would recommend cleaning your printer and trying to get it working well before changing shade placement and modifying curves, because if environmental or cleanliness issues are causing your problems, moving inks around won’t be a solid solution. Maintenance/cleaning information can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance

If needed, yes- curves can be modified to change shade placement specific to your printer and the channels that are working well.

Please keep me posted~ Dana :slight_smile:

I have been through it head to toe. Its a deflection being caused by delaminating of the head from previous owner. Can you modify the curves or can I do it? Also I need the ink shade placement as above so I can start the purge ASAP.

OK. Do you currently have inks installed in order for the regular Meth 3 shade placement (2= C, 2.5= OR, 3= LC, 4.5= GR and 5= LM), or do you already have shade 2 in your green channel?
Please let me know this, so I can modify curves for you and let you know the custom shade order I used to make the curves for your printer/setup. It is something that you can do, but since there are just a few curves, and there are several shades that need to be moved around, I feel more comfortable modifying the curves myself and emailing them to you.

Thanks~ Dana

I have ORANGE(2.5) and GREEN(2) installed currently.

Right now you have me setup this way:

Shade 2 - GREEN
Shade 2.5 - ORANGE
Shade 3 - LIGHT CYAN
Shade 4.5 - LIGHT MAGENTA
Shade 5 - YELLOW

I now need:

Shade 2 - GREEN (this is OK)
Shade 2.5 ORANGE (this is OK)
Shade 3 - Either installed in CYAN or LIGHT LIGHT BLACK or LIGHT BLACK
Shade 4.5 -Either installed in CYAN or LIGHT LIGHT BLACK or LIGHT BLACK
Shade 5 -Either installed in CYAN or LIGHT LIGHT BLACK or LIGHT BLACK

Thanks for clarifying your current setup. As per the current PZDN-X900 curves and chart I included above, shade 4.5 is normally in the green channel, and shade 2 in normally in the cyan channel.

To change your ink shade placement, I assume you will simply change the cartridge placement in your printer (which can be done by moving the color keys around to be able to install carts in positions other than they are labeled for- but I recommend writing on the cartridges so you know which shade is in which cart to avid confusion for easy refilling in the future), then doing an initial fill cycle- correct? If so, then I will want you to use the green and cyan channels with the shades they are intended for, to reduce the number of channels I have to move around.

~Dana :slight_smile:

But that would mean I need to flush out the ORANGE(2.5) and the GREEN(2) I have already installed. I want to keep those as is. I just need to have the other three shades installed in the CYAN or LIGHT LIGHT BLACK or LIGHT BLACK positions. MAGENTA and BLACK positions are completely dead on this printer, YELLOW, LIGHT MAGENTA and LIGHT CYAN have the deflection issues, so they are not good either. I am afraid I will need you to ask you to do more work, sorry.

How do you plan to change the shade placement in other channels? The best and easiest way is to do an initial fill, in which case it won’t be a problem for you to put shade 2 in the cyan channel and shade 4.5 in the green channel. I won’t have time to edit the curves for you today, but will try to get them done for you tomorrow.

I will do the ink purge in the service program from a Windoz machine.

I really need it setup the way I am requesting (sorry), I have already purged the LC, LM, Y channels with flush again and the C, LLK and LK carts cleaned waiting for ink.

So if you can tell me where 3, 4.5 and 5 will be in C, LLK or LK that would be great. The curves can wait until tomorrow, I just want to get the ink changeover complete.

Since you will be doing the ink purge/initial fill cycle, I would like you to install the ink shades in the following order, which is how I will make your curves:

Cyan= shade 2
Orange= shade 2.5
Light Black= shade 3
Green= shade 4.5
Light Light Black= shade 5

Dana, I think you missed my point. I would like to keep GREEN as shade 2 so I don’t waste cleaning it out , same with ORANGE as shade 2.5

So can I do:

Cyan - shade 4.5
Orange - shade 2.5 (as is now)
Light Black - shade 3
Green - shade 2 (as it is now)
Light light black - shade 5

I absolutely do understand your point, but possibly you don’t understand mine… Let me explain:

If you are going to switch around inks in your C, LK and LLK channels then do an initial fill cycle to charge your printer, then it’s no different for you to put the shade 2 and 4.5 inks in their correct positions so I only have to move two channels in the curves, and not four. If your C and GR channels are working well, then I’d like you to use the correct shade inks in them, and I will modify the curves for your unique LK and LLK shade placement. There will be no more ink used, it’s just a matter of switching the small plastic key on the carts to put the ink shades in the order I listed above.

Do you understand what I mean about the cartridge keys? The keys are color position specific, and located on the non-labeled side of the cart, towards the front between the exit valve and top of the cart. Each key has different grooves in it to make the cartridge only fit in a certain cartridge bay, and keys are labeled with the color position they go to (the color position labeling is in the plastic mold). The keys are simply held onto the cart with two straight plastic tabs, and easily pry straight off (and push straight on). You don’t have to drain/refill carts, just simply switch the cartridge color position keys to be able to put your green cart containing shade 2 ink into your cyan channel, etc… so ink shades are in the order listed in my last message.

Now I see what you mean. I had no idea those carts have removal color keys on them. 4900 ink carts are new to me. Do my 9900 carts do that too? OK, so I will set up as listed in above post. Thanks for dealing with me, guess I am a bit frustrated with the printer since when I got it it was totally dead and my wife is starting to think of it like an old car, I am always under the hood. Been working on it for a few weeks while juggling everyday printing on the 9900 and 9800.

I totally understand, and am here to help you sort this out and get back to happily printing! :slight_smile:
The 4900 have color position keys that prevent them from being inserted into the wrong position (though the keys can be removed/moved as needed). The 7900/9900 carts don’t have keys- but the chips control which position they can be used in (the chips can be moved if carts need to be used in different positions).

I’ll modify the PZDN curves and email them to you tomorrow.

~Dana :slight_smile:

Thank you Dana!

Ink transfer went smooth…

Glad the ink transfer went well, here are the PZDN-x900-Meth3 curves that I made for your custom ink setup.

Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

PZDN-X900-digneg-Mark.zip (23 KB)

Thank you, have a great weekend!

You are very welcome, you too! :slight_smile: