Minimum number of inks for making digital negs

I might be getting a used Epson 4900. I want to dedicate it to just making digital negatives. How many inks do I really need? I will do no other type of prints on it.

Mark

Just Five

Shades 2, 2.5, 3, 4.5, 5

This would be for silver, plat/palladium, or Carbon

those are very low dMax requirements

If you need Alternative Process film that requires very high contrast film - we then add shades 1, 6 and 7 to the mix - meaning you would need eight.

[QUOTE=stillrivereditions;3522]I might be getting a used Epson 4900. I want to dedicate it to just making digital negatives. How many inks do I really need? I will do no other type of prints on it.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Thanks, not sure what final process will be yet.

Mark

I filled out the form a few days ago with my info on which nozzles (positions) are good. Wanted to know what inks for what positions for Methodology 3, silver print. Never heard back from anyone. Also, a bit confused on where to find the correct “profile/curves” for QTR to download and install for Methodology 3, silver print. Epson 4900. Thanks.

Hi Mark~

The Piezography manual and PZDN curves mainly focus on the x800/x880 model printers.

For x900 printers, Piezography ink shade placement is as follows (depending on your specific printing needs- to make the most of the printer, follow the third column for regular and PZDN printing):

[FONT=Times New Roman]PZDN- Meth 1 (v2)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Meth 3 (v2)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]PZDN and K7[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman](Matte + Gloss)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Regular K7[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Film printing- positive. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Use PZDN-x900-Meth1 curve[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Film printing- for darkroom processing, with film base. Use PZDN-x900-Meth 3 curves[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Matte, gloss and PZDN (meth 1 + 3) with one printer. Use PZDN-x900 or K7-x900 curves[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Matte, Gloss, or both- use K7-x900 curves from Piezography blog[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]MK[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]0[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]NU#1 (Matte)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]NU#1 (Matte)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]PK[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]1[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]WN#1 (Gloss)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]WN#1 (Gloss)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]C[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]2[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]LC[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]3[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]M[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]4[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]4[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]LM[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]5[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]LK[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]6[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Y[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]7[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]LLK[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]GO[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]0 or GO[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]OR[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]2.5[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]GR[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]4.5[/FONT]

I have attached the PZDN-x900 curves here.

Please let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else we can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

PZDN-X900-digneg-new.zip (26.2 KB)

Thanks Dana!

You are very welcome!!! :slight_smile:

I thought I would try on Windows first but getting an error of PPD not found.

Do you have the latest version of QTR installed?

Yes. I think I got QTR to work fine on the Mac. Just waiting for Jon to send me the custom profile for my setup for ink assignments.

Dana, I got the profile (curves) from Jon. I posted this in the QuadtoneRIP e-group and getting no response. Any ideas?

>Just set up QuadtoneRIP on Mac, 10.9.2

>USB seems to be working fine but want to setup via network. I think I did that all correct, it lets me to print via network now. BUT, I do not see my curves in print setup screen. Where do they hide after being installed for USB? Do I just copy them over to the network printers (folder??)?

>Thanks

Hmmm… that’s definitely a question for Roy, and I have forwarded your message to him to ask him directly for an answer. I will post his response as soon as I hear back from him (or, he may respond to your post on the QTR forum).

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

I just received this response from Roy (he said he also responded to your post on the QTR forum):

"You want to use the bonjour connection for the network. I think most printers have this
enabled but you may need to check on the front panel.

The Tutorial.pdf has info on the on the last couple pages – to manually set this up.
If you have an Epson driver setup for this the latest QTR 2.7.4 will do this like it does
with the USB connection.

But in any case the crucial issue is to have a printer and the install script to agree in
the name – i.e Quad3800-K7 goes with Install3800-K7. If you are doing it manually in
Print&Scan you must get your names in sync. Must be done when creating the printer.
The script can be renamed. The script is what installs the curves."

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

I also want to add, to make sure you’re using the latest version of Print Tool (1.1.0) for accurate output.

Why do I need Print Tool at all?

You need to use Print Tool when printing with Mac 10.6.8+ for accurate and optimal quality output, due to color management issues with Photoshop and recent Mac OS.

QTR for Mac and Windows use different versions, so make sure you have the latest versions installed on your different computers. You also must have the Epson print drivers installed before installing QTR.

Even when printing digital negs in grayscale?

I have latest versions installed. Epson drivers where already installed before installing QTR

Yes, Print Tool should be used for any QTR printing with Mac 10.6.8+. We also use Print Tool for printing targets without color management when making color ICC profiles (since Photoshop applies color management, even when it’s turned “off”)