Epson R3000 no longer printing Black

I’ve been using Cone Color inks for the past 1.5 years and have just run into a problem. My printer is not printing any black, PK or MK. Printed test pattern thru epson utility gives perfect printout on all (7) colors other than PK and MK which do not show ANY printout. The printer had sat for several (2-3) weeks and it appears the PK had run to empty even though there was no indication of this on the printer or utility. I refilled per instructions (have done quite a few refills so not new to this) but still no black. Needless to say, the prints are unusable. Help Please?:confused:

When you say

The printer had sat for several (2-3) weeks and it appears the PK had run to empty even though there was no indication of this on the printer or utility

Does this mean the cartridge was actually empty when you pulled it out of the printer?
OR does this mean the Black channel was simply not printing?

Please clarify so I can better diagnose what’s going on and help you get this fixed.
Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly, the cartridge appeared to be empty. Again, there was no indicator light flashing on the printer to show low ink or Steady light to show empty…and the graphic display did not show as empty. I did re-fill the cartridge but the black channel is not printing at all, nothing in the test pattern from either the PK or MK (if selected). Thanks Bob

I see from your history you purchased these cartridges in early 2014, does this mean you’ve been using these cartridges without a hitch for about a year? For any reason, have you taken this cartridge out of the printer to check the levels or top off without resetting manually?

These cartridges only read levels based on how many prints and how many cleaning cycles are run, either automatically or manually. The printer determines the ink levels based on this information. The chip itself doesn’t read the levels in the cartridge, it is there for recognition purposes. The status monitor keeps track of ink levels based on what the printer determines for ink levels, the chip once it reads empty will be reset either manually by shorting out the contacts OR by removing and reinstalling. If you have removed to check levels of the ink in the cartridge, but didn’t actually top off the cartridge, it is possible you reset the cartridge without realizing. Somehow the printer ended up confused about the amount of ink in the cartridge. The status monitor didn’t realize the cartridge was actually empty and the printer kept drawing out of that cartridge even though it was empty, in turn leaving air in the line.

To remove the air that is now in the line, you would need to run at least 3 cleaning cycles or if you don’t want to waste the other inks, you can print QTR flush image from that K channel. Follow these instructions for this procedure http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?166-Flush-individual-channel-using-QTR-Calibration-Mode

I would recommend removing ALL the cartridges, topping them off and resetting them manually before you move forward, this will give you a fresh starting point. Make sure you watch your status monitor for levels dropping after each cleaning cycle and/or QTR flush image to see if the status monitor is accurately calculating the drop in ink levels.

Thanks Kelly, will give it a try!

[QUOTE=KellyC;7509]I see from your history you purchased these cartridges in early 2014, does this mean you’ve been using these cartridges without a hitch for about a year? For any reason, have you taken this cartridge out of the printer to check the levels or top off without resetting manually?

These cartridges only read levels based on how many prints and how many cleaning cycles are run, either automatically or manually. The printer determines the ink levels based on this information. The chip itself doesn’t read the levels in the cartridge, it is there for recognition purposes. The status monitor keeps track of ink levels based on what the printer determines for ink levels, the chip once it reads empty will be reset either manually by shorting out the contacts OR by removing and reinstalling. If you have removed to check levels of the ink in the cartridge, but didn’t actually top off the cartridge, it is possible you reset the cartridge without realizing. Somehow the printer ended up confused about the amount of ink in the cartridge. The status monitor didn’t realize the cartridge was actually empty and the printer kept drawing out of that cartridge even though it was empty, in turn leaving air in the line.

To remove the air that is now in the line, you would need to run at least 3 cleaning cycles or if you don’t want to waste the other inks, you can print QTR flush image from that K channel. Follow these instructions for this procedure http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?166-Flush-individual-channel-using-QTR-Calibration-Mode

I would recommend removing ALL the cartridges, topping them off and resetting them manually before you move forward, this will give you a fresh starting point. Make sure you watch your status monitor for levels dropping after each cleaning cycle and/or QTR flush image to see if the status monitor is accurately calculating the drop in ink levels.[/QUOTE]

Kelly, Still not luck. I refilled and reset but no black printing at all. Now when I replaced the PK the printer warned that cartridge not reckognized, I hit ok and went ahead but no luck. Im guessing this may be dead battery issue now? Would that also prevent Black from printing? Doesn’t make sense as the MK cartridge is an Epson cartridge and that doesn’t print either…I’ve never needed the MK, just gave it a try to test so Cartridge for that was new(ish) You had mentioned age of cartridges/use but this printer gets very little use, only enough to keep it “fresh” and I’ve used less than half bottle of each ink since original purchase for your reference

Yes, you probably have a dead battery as these carts are more then a year old, I would recommend replacing all at the same time.

Did you try printing the Flush image through QTR? OR 3x cleaning cycle? I believe there is air in the line and it will take some time to work it out.

I did not try the QTR, cleaning a few more times first…trying not to spend the extra $50 on the QTR but that will be next. Thanks

Kelly, Tried QTR, I’ve attached snap of what I get when I open it…no “Flush Image” option…

Please follow the instructions here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?166-Flush-individual-channel-using-QTR-Calibration-Mode

Dana…this is the same information Kelly Gave me. To say I’m frustrated would be an understatement. You have my contact info on file, have someone call me. This means of communication has wasted 2 days for a simple job. Ink, Time, Money have slipped by .

I understand your frustrations, I experience these kinds of things on a daily basis, but the difference is I am paid to deal with them so I can help customers when they need it. Our forum is the best way for us to deal with many customers at a time and it also allows others to see what kinds of problems current users are experiencing. Often times there are similar posts that have already been solved and users can actually help themselves instead of relying on tech support to respond.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the paper for the link I sent you, you will find the Individual Flush Images, you need to print the QTR-K image using QTR Calibration mode at 2880dpi, uni-directional.

I hope this helps! Did you try the 3 cleaning cycles I suggested?

Hi Bob,

The problem initially is that the cartridge ran dry - and the prime in your system on the black ink is lost. No ink can travel from your recently refilled black cart to the print head because a lot of air is in the way.

This air is initially purged out of the printer when you first turn it on and install cartridges. For 7-8 minutes it sucks through the print head all of the air out and ink replaces the air in the ink lines and the ink dampers and finally it travels into the print head. The fastest remedy is to re-initialize the printer using the Windows only Epson Service Adjustment Utility software. You would need to pay for it, download it, and run it on a PC. This is well documented on this site already. But, if you are concerned about costs - although it takes only 7-8 minutes to fix, it costs $20 to purchase the software from 2manuals.com and it will suck up ink from all nine channels or about 125ml or so in total. A quick fix to be sure, but costs you the most.

Kelly recommended two things to you:

1. She recommend removing ALL the cartridges, topping them off and resetting them manually before you move forward, this will give you a fresh starting point.

2. To remove the air that is now in the line, you would need to run at least 3 cleaning cycles or if you don’t want to waste the other inks, you can print QTR flush image from that K channel. Follow these instructions for this procedure http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/conte…libration-Mode

You performed 2) but you did not perform 1) which is the actual fix. Performing 2) will not remove the air from the lines - only give you a fresh starting point.

Then you realized you had a dead battery and replaced it but you still did not perform 1) on your end. So no fix.

You do not need to pay $50 to test QTR for 30 days. But, you put that off and the 3 Power Cleans did not bring ink to the head. Then you wrote you can not find the flush image. Dana is pointing you to read the instructions because that is where the Flush image is. The Flush image is on the instructions page in the form of a .zip file link for you to download. She is not trying to frustrate you. Just get you to read the instructions page that is on that link. The location of the flush images is there.

Is it that you did not see the link because you are on a PC and did not read the Mac instructions and see the link?
Or did you download them but can not find on your computer?

If the former - I recommend you shortcut the process and run the Initial Ink Charge using the PC only Epson Service Adjustment Utility. Takes 7-8 minutes. Boom - you’re printing. Or you can simply download the flush images zip file.

If the latter, when you download, your browser of choice has a Preference set location where it downloads all files. This is where the .zip file will be. A .zip file needs to be unzipped and its contents will be revealed. You unzip by double clicking it. It will create a folder in the same location as the downloaded file. In this folder are the flush images.

You can pay for handholding technical support here if you prefer it to this forum: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.47401/.f

Kelly, thanks again…my frustration is not with you, trust me! Ok, I got the QTR-K image…print it from which program? It opens in Preview (Mac OS) …Where is the QTR Calibration Mode? I’ve check each folder and sub folder associated w QTR (QuadToneRIP) and there is no calibration mode…there is a calibration PDF but this appears to be something different. I’ve also downloaded the Print-Tool from their site but again, no apparent calibration mode. I’m certainly not a genius with this stuff but not a slouch either. Thanks

Jon, Kelly, Dana
I did remove all cartridges and reset per instructions, sorry if i did not mention that after Kelly recommended it.
I’ve run cleaning cycles, probably 6-8 times now and will continue to do so i guess as I am not on a PC but Mac OS/Mavericks.
I did see the link, have downloaded QTR and am on the trial-30 days.
I do know how to locate and open the downloads.
SO…to print the QTR-K image using QTR calibration mode is the current question.
On Mac, image opened in any way you wish…photoshop (CC)? Preview? Other?
I tried to do a capture to attach to thread but it does not remain attached even though it is a very small jpeg. I wanted to show you what screens I’ve been looking at.
Let me make clear that Kelly and Dana have been terrific. If needed I’ll pay for the “hand holding Tech Support” .
The wasted inks are part of the frustration but only part, the bigger frustration is 2 days of back and forth for what appears to be a simple fix and still not fixed.

Here is your free Hand Holding! I put it in BLUE what you are not getting…

Flush Individual Channel Using QuadTone RIP Calibration Mode:
(These instructions are provided for changing out inks. Flushing is often used to change inks. This is not the recommended procedure for trying to unclog a printer. To unclog a printer - you need to run a procedure that provides suction rather than isolated printing of the channel. Please refer here for flushing a printer to unclog it.)

To print from one specific ink channel (which is helpful when flushing just one line, without wasting ink in the other positions by doing power clean cycles), you can use the QuadTone RIP’s Calibration Mode. The QuadTone RIP is a $50 shareware program, which can be downloaded from www.quadtonerip.com
The QTR Print Tool is necessary when printing from Mac 10.6.8 or higher, for accurate output (other printing applications have screwed up color management that will produce poor Piezography output). QTR PrintTool can also be downloaded from www.quadtonerip.com

Pre-made QTR flush images are attached below, and include one image for each color channel, as well as an all-channel image for 8 and 10 color printers

MAC:
1. Open the “QTR flush” image in QTR Print Tool (10.6.8 or higher) or Photoshop (below 10.6.8), specific for the color channel(s) you wish to flush
2. Select “NO Color Management” in the Print Tool window
3. Select your K7 printer model, and paper size, then push print
4. In the QuadTone RIP window- select Calibration Mode, Ink Limit: 100% and Resolution either 1440 or 2880dpi

5. Select 100% saturation if printing on heavyweight, coated/print paper or 50-80% if printing on uncoated, very thin or typing paper.
6. Select paper feed: either sheet or roll, 1440dpi is fine to select for this purpose, bi-directional will print faster than uni-directional.

Let me know how it goes. I will check in on you later this evening. Steps 2. - 6. are equally important to 1. Just follow it step by step. Print it out - rather than try to read from the web page. I think that will make it easier!!

Bob,

Checking in 11:30p Vermont time!

How did you make out with the QTR method?

Is your vent off the cart (for sure?) and is the QTR Calibration Mode method pulling the ink through yet?

Did you explore instead the use of Initial Ink Charge?

Will be online still for another 30 minutes - let me know!

Jon

Jon, thanks for keeping track. Sorry, I was out of the office late in evening and out for sunrise shoot this morning. I’ll get back on this shortly and report back. I can’t thank you and crew enough for all of your help!

Jon/All. I’ve done the step by step and tried both PK and MK but neither results in an image thru QTR…just a blank page. I assume I should have sen a black image printed? If there is an advantage to trying the fix mentioned in first response using PC instead of Mac I will give it a try but I’m guessing all the steps you’ve helped me with did the same thing. Any more thoughts?

Yes, if you have access to a PC, then absolutely the fastest way to get through this mess is to download the Adjustment program and preform the Initial Fill. You will need to makes sure ALL your carts are FULL & RESET before during this procedure. After the Initial Fill is complete, you should be good to print, so long as everything is in good working order, meaning there is no clogs anywhere preventing ink from getting through the head.

Follow this link to 2manuals.com for the R3000 Adjustment Program Epson R3000 (ECC) Ver.1.0.1 Adjustment Service Program - Service Manuals download service