Epson R3000 no longer printing Black

Jon, Kelly, Dana. Problem solved. Epson is sending a new printer, I called after trying everything suggested by you and they have determined it to be hardware issue.This will now be my 4th R3000 (2 purchased, 2 warranty replacements) and I have an associate that has had 3…Thanks again for your help. I’ll be in touch to refresh some supplies soon.

I am having a very similar problem. Matte black stopped printing. I ran several head cleaning cycles but no luck( 4-5)
Two other colors showed some defects on the Nozel check also.
I ran an “initial fill” with the utility software and the two color nozels now show a perfect pattern.I don’t believe that are all free of color. Matte black still blank.Photo black prints a much darker nozel check than the others. Ran a head cleaning cycle to no avail. I note that although the functioning colors now show ½ full cartridges after the “initial fill” cycle, matte black decreased much less.
Diagnosis? Next steps??? HELP PLEASE ( can I print without matte black??? )
I switched between photo black and matte black with no changes

Ronald. It is very frustrating but after trying all suggested tips with no result I contacted Epson and they determined that it was a hardware issue with the printer and sent me a new (refurbished) one as a warranty replacement. I had mine for almost exactly 1 year, slightly more, but they honored the warranty. I will add that this is now my 4th R3000. 2 I purchased, bothe were replaced by epson…so in total, 3 failed. Sorry I can’t be of more help! Inkjet Mall was superb in their support and I know I drove them crazy.

Thanks for the response. I assume the matte black head is caput. I loathe the idea of buying a new R3000. They seem full of problems, although it’s hard to get a true sense of their reliability. But I’m already invested in ink and two sets of carts. Further, Epson just came out with two new models that seem to have specs virtually identical to the R3000 and the 3880. ( The inks seem to have changed)They are also at the same price points. So my concern is that the R3000 is on its way out. If they are replacement models, did Epson address the reliability issues?? I’ve looked at the PIXMA line, but I have no evidence they are any more reliable. Hence, I have the following plan.
Accept that the matte head is gone. Since I print only matte fine art papers, put matte black ink in a photo black cartridge in the photo black position, and set the printer for photo black.
Any thoughts on that solution

Ronald, I think your solution might work…it is my understanding, however , that both blacks go through the same head so still might be an issue. It’s either the head itself or the mate black cart. How old is the printer? You might consider calling them (epson) and raising a stink?

ok. Im going to ask a very stupid question then.One I have not found explicitly stated anywhere. How many nozel patterns should there be on an R 3000 nozel check, 8 or 9 ???

The pattern is 8…all 7 colors and whichever black is selected, only one black can go thru the head at a time.

Polett is correct: Most (all?) of Epson’s entry/mid-range printers have 8 heads, but can have multiple blacks. In printers with ink lines (R3000 and up), they have an automatic ink switch which essentially “switches cartridges” as you would manually on the R2880. So, just like in that printer, you have 8 inks connected to the print head, even though you may have 9 inks in the printer.