Epson PRO 7890

Hi There. Just received the pizo flush. Filled the cartridges. Reset twice the chips. Printer says no cartridges installed. Two of the cartridges the re setter green light flashes does not go to solid green. I received 4 light cyan cartridges wit my order. Had 5 older cartridges to use with flush. Emptied my thrift ink cartridges and replaced the ink with pizo flush. All cartridges were recognized. Why were the cartridges I received not work? Thanks Richard

HI there. Finally got the printer to do an initial fill cycle, then power clean. When doing a power clean display says Cleaning failed. Retry Yes display says cleaning failed again. All colors are OK except for LC. Did a regular clean selecting LC only still missing lines in the middle of the nozzle check. What do you suggest? Do you think the head is bad? What other tests can I do to try and clean head? Thanks Richard

Hi Richard, The reason you are getting that message is because your printer is detecting a clogged nozzle for your LC channel. You can turn OFF the automatic head cleaning in your control panel and this error message should go away (because it won’t be running automatic checks to see if there are any missing nozzles anymore).

How long have you left the Piezoflush sitting in the printer after you did the initial fill?
Have you only done 1 initial fill?
Have you verified that all the color is flushed out of your printer by viewing the Nozzle check?
How many Power cleans have you performed?

Please answer the above questions,
Thank you,
Kelly

Ok, Here is my issue. I received the pizeo flush kit and cartridges, to clean clogged nozzles on my Epson 7890. PK, LC, C and LLK were the worst but all colors had some issues. I set up the cartridges per the instructions, went into the Serviceman mode, and did an initial Fill. As far as I can tell it didn’t work. The levels of cleaner in the refillable cartridges, are vitually the same. There seems to be very little ink in the maintenance tank, although the available space dropped to 64% FROM 100%. a subsequent nozzle check shows the same results as to color except PK, and LLK seem to be much better and C and LC are the same. The level indicator shows LM down 50% although there is no perceptable drop in the cartridge.

By the way all the zozzle checks are printing in the correct colors, and not the pink of the cleaning fluid.

Any ideas as to how to procede?

Follow up. After reading some of the posts I reran the init fill. Still same result. I then tried a couple power cleanings to see if that would help. After the second power cleaning some of the chips needed to be reset. (When I first installed the carts with the cleaning solution they all registered) After I reset all the cartridges, the Yellow cartridge no longer registers. The message says not genuine cartridges. Aditionally 3 other cartridges will not reset. They register about 10% ink left while still filled at the initial level. On further testing it would seem the chip resetter has mal functioned. None of the refillable carts will reset. The light slow flashes red, then rapid flashes red, then rapid flashes green. The first time I reset the carts this workd every single time, now not at all.

REread all the directions and tried resetting the #8 Cart. Chip resetter flashed red then solid green. Now the printer will not recognise this cart at all. Printer does recognise the original cart just not the refillable one now. My suspicion is the chip resetter has gone bad and blew the chip.

Hi Dixon, It sounds like you are having a rough go of it! I am sorry to hear of all these problems, I’ll try to help you with your concerns and get your printer diagnosed. Let me give you some back ground on these printers (information you may already be well aware off), the X9XX printer platform was designed with a “Piezoelectric” head, a full description can be seen here at this nifty web-site called MyX900.com http://myx900.com/x900-printhead-revealed/

This also applies to Richard who posted this thread originally. The print heads in the X9XX printers have been notorious for clogging nozzles, we’ve had several of these print heads fail in our studio and R&D. We have had success using our Piezoflush solution in these heads, but not 100% success, sometimes the heads are too far gone to bring back. In this case, you both have the following options for your printers:

1.Call Epson if your under warranty and have them come diagnose and replace the head
2.Purchase the extended warranties for these printer platforms either when you purchase the printer OR when your Original Manufacture warranty is about to expire (1 year after purchase) Epson will offer you the extended warranty again, buy it! It is a whole lot cheaper then a new head!
3.Try to get Epson to sell you a replacement head for your printer and replace it yourself
4.Re-purpose your printer into a Piezography printer, you have options with 6-10 channels
5.Don’t give up just yet, let your printers sit for 24-48 hours with the flush at the head, clean your capping stations, wiper blade and bottom of the print head and perform a NC after start up

Dixon-It sounds like you are dealing with some major blockage in your system somewhere (possibly your head OR dampers) that is not allowing the flush through the lines. Please open the front cover and examine the ink lines for ink OR flush present in the lines. This will verify there is NO flush leaving the cartridges. Also, how long did your printer sit with ink it is before you tried flushing it?

Richard-Please go ahead and perform another Init. Fill and let me know how your NC looks, keep an eye of your waste tank, you will have to empty it and reset it after the 2nd fill for certain depending on how full it is before you start.

Kindly, Kelly

[QUOTE=KellyC;7042]Hi Dixon, It sounds like you are having a rough go of it! I am sorry to hear of all these problems, I’ll try to help you with your concerns and get your printer diagnosed. Let me give you some back ground on these printers (information you may already be well aware off), the X9XX printer platform was designed with a “Piezoelectric” head, a full description can be seen here at this nifty web-site called MyX900.com http://myx900.com/x900-printhead-revealed/

This also applies to Richard who posted this thread originally. The print heads in the X9XX printers have been notorious for clogging nozzles, we’ve had several of these print heads fail in our studio and R&D. We have had success using our Piezoflush solution in these heads, but not 100% success, sometimes the heads are too far gone to bring back. In this case, you both have the following options for your printers:

1.Call Epson if your under warranty and have them come diagnose and replace the head
2.Purchase the extended warranties for these printer platforms either when you purchase the printer OR when your Original Manufacture warranty is about to expire (1 year after purchase) Epson will offer you the extended warranty again, buy it! It is a whole lot cheaper then a new head!
3.Try to get Epson to sell you a replacement head for your printer and replace it yourself
4.Re-purpose your printer into a Piezography printer, you have options with 6-10 channels
5.Don’t give up just yet, let your printers sit for 24-48 hours with the flush at the head, clean your capping stations, wiper blade and bottom of the print head and perform a NC after start up

Dixon-It sounds like you are dealing with some major blockage in your system somewhere (possibly your head OR dampers) that is not allowing the flush through the lines. Please open the front cover and examine the ink lines for ink OR flush present in the lines. This will verify there is NO flush leaving the cartridges. Also, how long did your printer sit with ink it is before you tried flushing it?

Richard-Please go ahead and perform another Init. Fill and let me know how your NC looks, keep an eye of your waste tank, you will have to empty it and reset it after the 2nd fill for certain depending on how full it is before you start.

Kindly, Kelly[/QUOTE]

Hi, Kelly

The printer has sat for as long as 3 weeks, but usually it is run about every other week, and I run test prints through it weekly. The problem shows in printing only on black areas both matte and photo. If there were a clog wouldn’t it affect most or all the colors? look at my other posts about cart issues also. I can’t procede with any other ideas till I can get the carts to register.

THanks,

You stated there wasn’t any fluid missing from the cartridges and not much in your waste tank after doing the init. fills? That is why I asked you to verify you can see flush in the ink lines…this will indicate if there is actually flush leaving the cartridge and running to the head. Pointing us in the direction of where the clog is located.

I see from your purchase history that you have 2 yellow cartridges, please remove the yellow chip from your original cartridge and replace the “faulty” one to verify it’s a chip concern. Let me know if this solves it and I will send you a replacement chip, also let me know about the above question of Flush fluid actually in the lines.

Thanks,
Kelly

Ok, I am at work till after you close, and the printer is at my home it has it’s own climate controlled office.

Thanks for the idea on the chip will do that. is there any way I can dismantle the ink runs and physically inspect for clogs?

The main trouble I am having right now is with the cart in the 8 position on the 7890. After I used the resetter on it it now will not recognize the cart. I have had to reset the other carts as well, and while the printer still recognizes the carts it will not reset them.

Meanwhile I have outstanding orders and am looking for a suitable replacement. Does your cleaning system work with other printers? I am looking at a couple of Canon models and another epson although my last choice, after this. Epson 3880 or 4900 to be exact. I don’t mind doing whatever maintenance to keep it up, just need to be back in business.

OK I just called home and had someone look. They said all but one of the lines appear to still have color ink in them. I assume the one they spoke of is the magenta line. So I would say little to no flush is getting into the heads.

Is it possible that is what caused the leak in the original yellow cartridge?

Thanks again.

Thanks.

OK I just called home and had someone look. They said all but one of the lines appear to still have color ink in them. I assume the one they spoke of is the magenta line. So I would say little to no flush is getting into the heads.

Is it possible that is what caused the leak in the original yellow cartridge?

Thanks again.

No, you don’t need to physically dismantle the ink lines, just look at them and inspect for flush fluid running through them. It will be obvious the line that has flush in the cartridge should have nothing but pink flush fluid in the line. If there’s ink in the line still that would indicate there is a clog, a very stubborn clog that you may not be able to dislodge after 2 init. fills.

The 4900 has the same head as the 7900/9900, 7890/9890 and you will run into the same types of clogging, this is to be expected with the X9XX printer platform. If you read through the MyX900.com web-site you will find all kinds of users experiencing the same concerns. If you can get away with printing 22" wide and smaller, the 3880 is the way to go. Yes it has ink lines, like your current printer, but it has a different head which is far more reliable!

Can the flush be used with the 3880 and 4900? I don’t mind the whole flushing process to prolong life of printer, I just want highest quality for the $$

I did have someone check and it appears there is ink in the lines, not flush.

Thanks.

You mentioned cleaning other parts like wiper blade etc, by hand do you have a procedure manual for this?

Yes, the Piezoflush can be used in the 3880 or 4900, it is used for storage or for clearing clogs, BUT doesn’t always work for that purpose on the X9XX printers (such as your 7900). If the head channels are too far out of specs then you may be fighting an uphill battle, it’s hard for me to know.

You can try Manually cleaning your Capping Station, Wiper Blade and the Bottom of the print head by following this link http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance scroll down to Clean the Capping Station and Flushing box.

Please verify, you have installed all 11 cartridges with Piezoflush?

Can the 3880 use the flush system? I don’t mind doing the work to keep printer up.

Do you have procedure manuals for cleaning the other parts like the wiper blade you mentioned?

Thanks.

I think I accidentially deleted yopur last post. You had mentioned cleaning process?

KellyC, the 7890 has 9 cartridges, and they all have flush in them. Can you post a link for changing the chips?

http://shopping.netsuite.com/c.362672/site/techdocs/7900-7700-7890-RCS-Instructions.pdf

Scroll to section that reads “Attach New Chip to Cartridge” OR replace chip applies the same

Kelly C, Hi.

I finally had time to sit down and try your suggestion to solve my cleaning problem. The directions you gave me say to push down on the cutter attached to the print head. This cutter appears to be firmly attached to the print head. The only spring loaded item in the area seems to be the print head itself. It moves easily, but nothing I am able to do will make it so I can move the head off the capping station.

To move the print head out of locked right side: either turn the printer on, then unplug power cable while print head is out of right side during start up, or start printer in Serviceman Mode (hold right arrow, down arrow and center/OK buttons while turning printer on), and select wiper replacement to move print head over, then turn the printer off and unplug from power.

Thanks guys that worked fine.

I cleaned everything I can get my hands on, and I still cannot get the flush solution through the capping station into the maintenance tank. I still can’t get the cleaner into the lines either.can i remove those sponges and soak them in solution, and get cleaning solution directly into the lines behind the sponges? I think either those sponges, or the lines are blocked.

My second question concerns the Epson 3880. It seems this printer has the same ink and head technology as the 7890. If I have to replace my 7890 I am probably going with that one. Does it have the same issues as the 7890, or can I reasonably expect it to perform better.

Thanks again for all the help.