Cartridge not recognized

Hello - my LK cartridge was working fine, but now I get the “cannot recognize” the cartridge message. I tried replacing the battery (also checked the voltage on the prior battery, which was fine), resetting the cartridge, and cleaning the battery contacts (suggested in another thread). Still no luck. Should I replace the chip? How long should the chips last? Thanks much.

Did you check the voltage across the reset terminals of the chip?

Also, if you go to the Compass Micro website and look up your R3000, you’ll notice a note at the bottom of the page referring to the “ink cartridge sensor connectors”. Not that yours are damaged, but perhaps if there’s less “spring” in the contact terminals, and your cartridge is not an exact fit as OEM (a fraction of an inch shorter perhaps?), it may not make contact. I think I’ve heard of people placing shims to make the cartridge sit tighter against the sensor connectors. This is just a guess.

I’d check the voltage across the reset terminals first, though. If it’s not the same as the battery, I’d polish the battery contacts again.

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I’ll check this when I get home later. Thanks!

Finally got a chance to check on this. The voltage across the reset terminals was ~1.5v. The contact terminals also look ok - they look like the terminals in the adjacent cartridge slots.

Larry - thanks again for the suggestions.

Dana / IJM folks - should I replace the chip? Get a whole new cartridge? Please advise.

I’ve got the exact same problem of non-recognition, and I’ve gone through the check process. The same question: Should I replace the chip? or What? And if so, how do I purchase? Thanks.

when did you buy your carts?

The reason I was asking was to find out if you have battery carts (in which case these need to be replaced when they drain too much), or if you have non-battery types. If battery - most likely you need to replace them. There are instructions for that in the Product Manuals part of this Tech site. If non-battery type (and the R3000 instructions show you how to tell the difference), you may need to replace the chip as it may have shorted.

When you say “these need to be replaced” do you mean the batteries, chips, or carts?

In general, do you recommend using battery or non-battery carts?

Is it ok to mix battery and non-battery carts?

Thanks.

He means the batteries
Battery vs non-battery - they each have their advantages and drawbacks. I open the printer and shake each cartridge before I start a printing session. This allows me to visually check the ink levels in the cartridges. The battery carts can be reset manually, while the non-battery can’t. Battery chips are no longer available from IJM
Yes, you can mix battery and non-battery.
Good luck,
John

[QUOTE=jgbowen;9704]He means the batteries
Battery vs non-battery - they each have their advantages and drawbacks. I open the printer and shake each cartridge before I start a printing session. This allows me to visually check the ink levels in the cartridges. The battery carts can be reset manually, while the non-battery can’t. Battery chips are no longer available from IJM
Yes, you can mix battery and non-battery.
Good luck,
John[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot, John. One more (maybe dumb) question - can I replace the battery chip in my cart with a new non-battery chip, or do I need to get a new cart (i.e., other than the chips, are the carts the same)? Thanks!

You can replace a battery chip with a non-battery chip. Carts did not change.

Are you sure about that? I’ve not seen either variant of the R3000 cart. What I have seen is the R1900 having an older style non-battery chip and the R2000 with the battery chips. The carts are mostly the same, but the chip holders are different. This is a small, removable section of the cart that the chip attaches to. The R2000 chip holder is different, to accommodate the battery. You can use any of the recent desktop carts (R1430, R1900, R2880) on the R2000, so long as you swap both the chip and chip holder. Are the two variants of the R3000 like this, or can you really just swap the chips?

I’m pretty sure I swapped out two battery chips for two non-battery chips on my R3000 about 3 weeks ago…
IJM will let us know if my memory is fading :slight_smile:

I will confirm: The cartridges are exactly the same, but the chip changed to do away with the batteries- so you can simply switch from battery to non-battery chips on the R3000 carts.

I thought about this more, and realised that the on-head carts came first with battery-less chips, and so the small chip-holder had to be redesigned to accommodate the battery, whereas the R3000 initially had the battery chips, and so fitting a battery-less chip in the same location using the same lugs was straight-forward.

A lot of good information, but I’m not 100% sure of the answer to my question. If I have a battery type cartridge, and the battery has been replaced with a good battery, and I still have the problem of non-recognition of the cartridge by the printer, does this mean that the chip is bad and I need to replace the chip? Or, should I just buy a new cartridge? And if I buy a new cartridge, will this be a battery type or non-battery type? Are both types even available? Thanks.

The first thing I would do is reset the battery chip again to eliminate that as a cause.
Your issue could be the chip or it could be bad contact between the chip and printer. if it’s bad contact, it could be caused by bent contacts in the printer. There are some posts here on what your contacts should look like.
I doubt you would need a new cartridge (although IJM recommends replacing carts annually).
IJM has phased out the battery chips and carts. While it may be possible they have a few leftovers hanging around, all that’s available on the website are non-battery carts and chips.
Good luck,

So, to summarize, battery chips are no long available. Are single cartridges with battery also not available? Or, are single cartridges with battery and non battery available? Sorry about the confusion.

correct, the battery style chips and carts with battery chips are no longer available. If you replaced the battery in your battery-style chip, but still have an error (and have already tried resetting the chip and removing/reinserting the cart), then I suspect the chip it’s self may have worn out (or there could be corrosion from battery, or a poor connection between battery/chip or chip/printer). If your chip is not working after replacing the battery and checking these things, then you will need a new chip (non-battery style).

~Dana :slight_smile:

hold on a sec- I just located a battery style R3000 LK chip, would you like me to put together an order and ship it to you? Looking at your order history, I see a LLK position chip listed recently- is this the chip you needed, or LK as listed in your initial post?

Please let me know, thanks~ Dana :slight_smile: