9900 with print head issue

My 9900 is printing well, but there are disturbing wavy lines in the nozzle check. I get an error message sometimes on cleaning cycles that the cycle was not successful and sometimes it tells me that it has detected blocked nozzles. Through those messages I have been getting satisfactory prints. I am attaching a sheet with two nozzle checks from yesterday., one at the top and the other at the bottom. What am I dealing with?

For those reading this post, it’s a blown (delaminated) channel.

-Walker

Thanks Walker. Can you please direct me to the workaround. I have looked into replacing the print head which appears to be economically impractical. I am not capable of doing the actual replacement myself. I am hoping there is a workaround so that I can remap the ink and still use this printer for a while longer.

yes,

1. Open PPEv2 in excel.
  2. Delete the contents of the measurements file.
  3. Open a curve you want to remap in sublime text (PK to GR and MK to OR)
  4. Select all and copy/paste into the starting curve (like you are about to linearize).
  5. For MK curves set the re-map settings like this:

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 9.42.03 AM

1. For PK curves set like this:

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 9.42.51 AM

1. In the NEW CURVE sheet, copy past that into the curve open in sublime txt and save. It is not remapped.

2. After remapping your curves run the install command to install.

3. Take the PK cart out and put the GR chip on it and put it into GR slot

4. MK is the same for OR slot

5. Print 44x90 inches or so of the OR and GR flush images in calibration mode to purge each Chanel with new ink.

6. Print and prosper.

Walker, I think I can do this. A couple of (stupid) questions:

1. Where do I find PPEv2?
  2. What happens to the unused ink carts? I am guessing that I leave them in the printer. should I take the ink out and put PiezoFlush in them?
  3. What curves do I use to print? still K5?

thanks for your help!
Bob

Inside >Applications>Piezography>Tools

Put MK/PK chips on them and put them in those MK/PK slots respectively.

As per an earlier email where I talked about this already, use the K4 curves (you are no longer using VLG inks).

-Walker

I will give it a shot! thanks for your help!!

Walker, et. al., I have looked carefully at the instructions and I have many questions.

1. Open PPEv2 in excel. BB - did that
  2. Delete the contents of the measurements file. BB - by this do you mean the tabbed page titled “measurements”? if so, do I delete everything on that page?
  3. Open a curve you want to remap in sublime text (PK to GR and MK to OR) BB - I have sublime text. where do I find the curve to open in sublime text?
  4. Select all and copy/paste into the starting curve (like you are about to linearize). BB - two lines on my “starting curve” page have text in them. Do they stay or go?
  5. For MK curves set the re-map settings like this: BB - do I remap the curves one at a time, or both at the same time?
  6. In the NEW CURVE sheet, copy past that into the curve open in sublime txt and save. It is not remapped. BB - huh?
  7. After remapping your curves run the install command to install. BB - if i get this far I know what to do…

yes.

The K4 curves from your curve folder.

See this demo video for copy/paste example: Linearizing Piezography | Piezography Manual

One at a time, but you only have to set the setting once. Then it’s just paste into Starting Curve, copy out of New Curve.\

The new curve IS remapped.

The K4 curves from your curve folder. BB - the K4 curves folder has curves for all of the papers included. do I copy them all?

Just remap the ones you need to use.

so for each paper, if I use all three tones - cool, neutral and warm, I will need to do 6 remappings? I assume I will get good at this once I have it all figured out…

I took one paper profile, I did the two remapping steps, saving each in sublime text. It did not give me the opportunity to rename the file so that I know it has been remapped. do I do that as a separate step or did I do something wrong?

listing by date modified should allow you to see the remapped ones. Or save as with a different name and chuck the old curves.

-W

Walker, hopefully my last question. I am remapping two channels, PK and MK. Here is the process as I currently understand it:

1. Open PPEv2 in Excel
  2. Looking at the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet, open the Measurements tab and cmd-a to select all and press delete
  3. In Sublime Text open the curve you want to remap
  4. Cmd-a and copy
  5. Paste into the Starting Curve tab by selecting cell 1A and pasting
  6. Click on the Home tab
  7. Change the values in the New Curve column to match how you want your ink remapped
  8. Click on the New Curve tab
  9. Place your cursor in the yellow colored area and right click and select copy
  10. Go back to Sublime Text, paste that data over the already selected data in Sublime Text
  11. Cmd-shift-S to save as if you want to rename (I have to enter my computer password)

As I understand this, I need to do this process for each ink that I am re-mapping. If I do that the second time I save the New Curve in Sublime Text will overwrite the first time I saved the New Curve in Sublime Text. I am pretty sure that is not the correct way to do this. Where have I strayed from the true path???

My little brain has been working on this. K represents both the PK and MK ink. The process is sequential. There must be a reason why we can’t re-map once with K in both the OR and GR channels. correct?

As I said above, do the MK curves with the MK remap setting and the PK curves with the PK remote settings. The original K channel is going to two different places based on weather it’s MK or PK (two channels). Before you had a “Switching Damper” that switched the K and only used one channel on the head. Now you have two live MK/PK channels. It’s not “sequential” it’s just one goes to 2.

-Walker

And I accomplish this by doing two different “saves” on the same curve set?

When “null” is in the new curve slot it eliminates that curve. I can see that in the curve graph when I make the change. So null in the K curve slot eliminate the old PK/MK damping choice. When remapping the MK curve, GR is also null. saving that new curve in Sublime Text maps MK in what was OR. When remapping the PK curve, K is null as well as OR. Since there is nothing in the OR curve slot when you save the PK remapping in Sublime Text it does not overwrite the OR curve, where we have remapped MK since that part of the data is blank. correct?

And since we are only using it to map the new curves we never save PPEv2?

I thought I did everything correctly, but when I ran the install I got this:
Creating printer named: Quad9900-ProK4 as Direct USB Printer

lpadmin: Printer drivers are deprecated and will stop working in a future version of CUPS.

cp: /Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone/Quad9900-ProK4/x900-Canson-RagPhoto-Cool-rm110421.quad: Permission denied

cp: /Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone/Quad9900-ProK4/x900-Canson-RagPhoto-Neutral-rm110521.quad: Permission denied

cp: /Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone/Quad9900-ProK4/x900-Canson-RagPhoto-Warm-rm110521.quad: Permission denied

cp: /Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone/Quad9900-ProK4/x900-Hahn-PhotoRag-Cool-rm110521.quad: Permission denied

cp: /Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone/Quad9900-ProK4/x900-Hahn-PhotoRag-Neutral-rm110521.quad: Permission denied

cp: /Library/Printers/QTR/quadtone/Quad9900-ProK4/x900-Hahn-PhotoRag-Warm-rm110521.quad: Permission denied