3880 color shift

Ok I will run that print test and get the copies to you.

I am not sure why you keep saying that I am managing the color incorrectly. I did it as you described in the last post which is how I have done it when I have LR manage the color. As you pointed out when LR managers the color EPSON is turned off automatically. So when LR is managing the color via the ICC profile it should be pretty idiot proff because epson turns off thier managemnt. That is correct right? Am I missing something here? Basically you are telling me to have LR mange color using the correct ICC profile for Red River what ever paper I am using? Is there something else I should be doing?

In the other scenerio I am turning off LR’s printer control and using the EPSON driver. There is no dulication here and again both of these process have been used prior and acheived similar satisfactory results. Now both processes are achieving slightly different results but both being shifted away from the original.

So if my LR is manageing color what part would I be doing wrong if Epson automatically turns off Color management? And vise a versa if LR mangement is turned off and I manage through Epson Driver what is wrong there and where is the multiple conversion?

No, I did not indicate that. Epson does not automatically turn off color management. You have it on. You need to turn it off. Lightroom has no capability of turning off color management at the driver - and you have some very specific settings that are producing color conversions at the driver level.

No, your assumption about that is incorrect. Epson can not turn off their color management. Only the user (you) can - and you are not.

Yes, following my previous instructions - or looking at our PDF I pointed you to.

There is a duplication of the image file pixel color values being converted. Once by Lightroom and then again by the Epson driver the way you have set it up.

Nothing is automatic! You are in control of both the application and the driver and you need to set them up correctly. I instructed that earlier. I think that reading the PDF may be helpful for you.

Let me know if you have other questions.

ok I printed the ink pattern page and the first thing that I am noticing is the black Ink1 does not turn purple as it does in on the screen on the right side of the line. The rest of the lines look close butin general I am not seeing the more purple tone on the right side.

I also notice that on the screen the boxes seem to become more and more faint as they get to the right. On the print the Boxes are very clear all the way to the end on the right side. Not sure if this means anything.

I also printed the 100 step wedge for the grey and there seems to be green in the greys.

Do you want me to send you photos of the charts?

The pattern page should be only pure inks from 5-100% in 5% steps. No purple at all! There is no relation to what you see on screen and how this test file prints if you follow the instructions.

This test only determines what ink is in each of the ink lines at this point and are separated into ink channels when printed. There is no way to separate inks using the Epson printer driver - so this is why I asked you to print the QTR inksepartions using QuadTone RIP.

Please send photos of the charts.

Received your chart and it is not printed correctly. It looks like it may have been printed with the Epson printer driver rather than QTR as we instructed.

I will try and help you.

1. Did you download the latest version of QuadTone RIP and if on Mac the latest version of QTR Print Tool?
  2. Did you install the 3880 K7 script?
  3. Did you print to the Quad3880 K7 printer?

Hi stavaridis,

We are here for only another hour today. Can I help you with the printing of the target so we can determine if you have correctly installed the inks or have a mechanical issue?

Please let me know.

Best,

Jon

It would also be helpful if you could please attach examples showing an image printed recently, that shows the yellow/green cast you’re dealing with, and the same image printed before the issue started, so I can better understand what you’re experiencing.

Thanks~ Dana

I attched the image and sent it to Jon yesterday. He said it was irrelivant and keeps focusing on color management. I printed the quadtone RIP and agin he told me the color managment was turned on in epson when it is not atleast the epson window says it was turned off. I am not getting a clear answer as to what “off” is but I have sent pictures of the epson settings where it says color managment is off. I unfortunatly cant seem to upload photos to this fourm. One thing i did not do is load this “K7 script” which I did not see how to do that in the directions he sent to me. I will resend the [side by side for you to look at. As I have stated over and over durring this rather coinfusing way of tropuble shooting was that no matter if my process was “wrong” it was the same process over and over. At one point something changed and it was not the work flow. This keeps getting ignored. The side by side photos I sent before and will send again will show you same print settings, same paper but one printed two weeks ago and one printed 3 days ago.

Regardless of what the process is it is the same process. The same results should occur. This is why one would be lead to belive it is related to the printer / ink. The software has not change the settings have not changed the paper has not changed.

I have not seen a PDF that Jon sent?

Where do I get this K7 script?

Solving this via this forum is really solw + confussing.

If you are having trouble attaching images to this forum for whatever reason, please email images to me at techsupport@inkjetmall.com, as I have only seen the files you emailed Jon that he attached for you. I would like to see what you’re talking about to better understand what you’re experiencing, and to see the severity and areas of the green/yellow cast you report. This will help me determine the cause and solution to your problem.

To print thru QTR, you will need to download it from quadtonerip.com, install it, then run the “Install3880-K7.command” to install the Quad3880-K7 printer model, to be able to print thru QTR.

Thanks~ Dana

Ok I will run that. and reprint the QTR I have actually figured out how to install the printer there. I am sending the photo of the two photos side by side and I will send you a photo of the QTR chart when I do it. In the mean time I am attching the QTR chart printed out next to a color checker……Is this helpfull for you to look at when I send you the next one?

I have sent off a photo of the QTR print test with both matte paper, Luster and a color chart for comparison. From what i am seeing the light black and light light black both look a little green compared to the color chart but you tell me. It should be at the eddress you gave me earlier.

Did you guys recieve the QTR test? I would love to get an idea of how to correct all this I really need to start to get this printer back up and running.

Thanks

Hi stavaridis~

I attached the images you emailed below. I can see your inks are in the correct order in the Ink Separation print, though I will need to wait until I receive your package of prints in the mail to fully evaluate the inks and check for mechanical issues. If after evaluating the actual prints I determine inks are all correct, then we will look more into color management, but if I find the inks are not correct, or discover a mechanical issue, then I will let you know what I see/think. I will await your prints in the mail, and let you know after I have reviewed them.

Best regards~ Dana

Ok so the warmer/greener tone I see in the print outs looks normal to you guys? It is not supposed to look grey like the chip chart? It is normal for it to not be just a % of grey?

No, LK and LLK are not supposed to be perfectly neutral, and a bit of warmth is normal. I will be able to tell a lot more from the actual prints when they arrive.

Ok I will send them up thanks

M

I just sent you photos of the PK LK and LLK carts to see if anything looks funny with them. a couple seem a little funny to me. But who knows

M

Here is an iteresting situation that occured I was printing these simailar photos where I have printed before with out an issue and that have now turned greenish. A little while ago I printed the image on various paper and noticed some solar effect happeneing in the dark areas. At this time the color in the rest of the photo was back to normal and refelcted what i was seeing on my monitor. Besides the dark parts it was good.

I ran a nozzel check….First Black did not appear at all. I did a cleaning. Printed the same image again. This time No solar effect but the color had returned to having this over all green cast to it. So it would seem that something in that black chanel might be causing this? When it was not present or cloged color was ok. When it was back the color changed.

Thanks for the updates. I have attached your cartridge photos below, so others’ reading this thread can follow along (in order: LK, LLK and PK):
Are these photos taken with the carts tilted on their side with a ceiling light shine thru the back, or are the carts horizontal (same orientation as when they’re installed in the printer) and a side/table light shining thru the back?
I ask because I don’t see any air pocket at the top, and wonder if the carts are tilted, or if they were over-filled with ink.
From your photos, it looks like you may have dribbled some ink when filling the LK cart, and ink got under this plastic side- is this correct, or is there possibly a pin hole in the membrane underneath (if there was a hole in the membrane, I would expect to see a lot more ink). In my experience, this can happen if a cartridge is over-filled (there should be a pocket of air at the top of the cart for proper ink flow/pressurization, and to avid ink from entering the air channel). If a cartridge is over-filled, ink can back-flow thru the air channel and gets into these chambers when the printer pressurizes and de-pressurizes the carts.

In regards to your recent experience/observation of the color looking correct when the PK wasn’t printing, then retuned to the green cast when the black was printing again- this is very strange, and doesn’t make any sense, as black only prints in black areas (the areas that looked solarized in your print where black wasn’t printing), and I don’t see how it could effect any other colors of the image…
I am awaiting your prints in the mail, and will let you know as soon as I receive them.

Best regards~ Dana