Wait Time Between Applications of GO?

Dana, Jon, Kelly,

First, I’d just like to say that my new Piezography inkset and refillable cartridges arrived several days ago and, after setting up my 3880 for K7 MPS operation, I have been spending many hours happily printing. I’m deeply impressed with the output I’m getting, on both matte and glossy papers!

(And, as a happy sidebar, I discovered that the needle-size-diameter nozzles of the 220ml ink bottles are a perfect fit for refilling the cartridges without having to use the syringe and needle, making that periodic operation even simpler. I’m sure that design tweak was intentional… just like to say that it works great!)

My question… Some glossy papers such as Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique require a second application of GO to totally eliminate bronzing. How long should one wait before sending the print through on that second GO pass? Does the first coat of GO require a cure time, or a few minutes with a hair dryer, a la the print inks themselves?

Thanks for a beautiful product… :wink:

Jeff

Hi Jeff~

I am pleased to hear you’re happily printing with your new Piezography setup!

Yes, some glossy papers work better with different amounts of Gloss Overprint- either more or less with one layer, or two layers. I have found that two layers of 30,000 GO withs best with Canson Baryta Photographique and a few other papers (two layers of 30,000 GO provides better gloss results than one layer of 60,000- I have tested several different amounts and combinations). I treat the GO layer the same as an ink layer- I lay prints out either for a few hours or overnight to air dry, or if I need to pack or gloss a print, will use a hair dryer on low heat to dry the ink/GO before packing or re-feeding the print in the printer to print the first or second GO layer. The blow drier is also helpful for gently dusting the print surface to remove any dust or specks that may have settled, so the surface is clean/clear before printing GO (otherwise, dust will be sealed under the GO layer).
We have some helpful Piezography gloss printing tips, here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?147-Piezography-Gloss-Printing-Tips

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: