VM cart not recognized

Hi,
I installed the VM and Cyan carts for the first time in my 3880 today and the VM cart is not being recognized. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps I can find on your website and forum with no change. I can’t see any issues with the chip, plastic lugs ok, cleaned contacts, checked retractable pins, reset printer, etc. No problems when I revert to the OEM cart, so I can only assume the chip is faulty. I look fwd to your response, Cheers - Steve Winter

Followup - I have managed to get it working by binding sellotape around the cartridge and over the end of the reset chip where the contact pins are located…I can only assume that the pins are now all making contact with the OEM chip. Not ideal but it’s allowing me to print. What do you recommend?

Hi Steve~

If holding the reset chip down with tape is giving you good results, then I agree that it sounds like the reset chip wasn’t having a tight connection with the OEM chip. Typically, if this happens, gently bending the plastic tabs outward on the reset chip will help it stay where it needs on the cartridge, to have a good connection with the OEM chip. If your tape method is working, and the front end of the reset chip isn’t raised, then it should be fine to keep as is, since the chips don’t need to be removed.

Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana

Hi Dana - unfortunately my fix is no longer working. I’m being prompted to install the VM cart regularly. I’ve tried bending the tabs, but it only works temporarily. Can you please send a replacement chip asap
Cheers,
Steve

Perhaps I should order a spare set of chips? Can I purchase a set, or do I have to buy them individually?

Hi Steve~

Does the error go away if you gently push on the back of the VM cart (into the printer)?

How do i push with the cover closed?

Hi stiffwin

Ive been following your thread, however I dint have a chip fit problem. I had simular problems with VLM cart is not being recognized in fact I had 2 sets both had the same problems. I also suspected the chips, however some of these carts seem to fit looser than others. When you put on your tape did it go on the bottom of the cart?

Dana suggested to me that I tape the bottom of the cart with masking tape. I used gaffer tape with is a bit thicker. It raised the cart enough to make better contact and problem seems to be solved.

She meant with the cover open if you make good contact the slash mark will go away and you will see all blank boxes as if the carts were empty. Then close the cover and you will see your ink readings. If all the carts read not recognized after pushing on the cart you will then have to reset the machine with the maintenance tank (see instructions).

rrheck

Thanks rrheck - yes pushing made good contact. I tried 1 layer of gaffer tape - no go - but 2 layers seems to be working ok :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help
Steve

Excellent, thanks for your helpful input rrheck, and I’m glad to hear this worked for you stiffwin!!

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

I purchased a full set of refillable carts for my 3880, planning to install as each OEM ran out. Photo Black worked with no problem, but now when I replaced the Light Magenta, it sees that there is a cartridge, but I get an error message saying “Ink cartridge Error - Please install the correct cartridge”. Tried all the various things listed above, no change. The chip on the refillable is labeled LM. If I put the OEM chip back on the original cartridge, it works fine. Looks like bad refillable chip.

Hi PSTees~

I looked up your order history, and see you bought a set of refill carts for an Epson 3800, not a 3880. The two printer models use all the same carts/chips, EXCEPT the VM/M and VLM/LM positions. You will need 3880 specific VLM and VM reset chips to use on your current carts, which you can get here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.122640/.f
NOTE: the replacement chips are labeled 3800/3880 for the positions that can be used in either printer model, and either 3880 or 3800 in the VM/M and VLM/LM positions that are printer model specific.

This should solve your problem.
Please let me know if you have further questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana

Not sure how I did that. :frowning: The chips on all the carts I have just say 3800, including the photo black that’s already installed, but I assume they will work except the VM/VLM. Any chance I can return those two chips in exchange for the correct ones? Also just noticed the carts/chips I have just say Magenta and Light Magenta but the printer and OEM carts are labeled Vivid Magenta and Vivid Light Magenta. Does that matter as long as I get the right chips for the refillable carts?

Rick

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;8290]Hi PSTees~

I looked up your order history, and see you bought a set of refill carts for an Epson 3800, not a 3880. The two printer models use all the same carts/chips, EXCEPT the VM/M and VLM/LM positions. You will need 3880 specific VLM and VM reset chips to use on your current carts, which you can get here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.122640/.f
NOTE: the replacement chips are labeled 3800/3880 for the positions that can be used in either printer model, and either 3880 or 3800 in the VM/M and VLM/LM positions that are printer model specific.

This should solve your problem.
Please let me know if you have further questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana[/QUOTE]

Hi Rick~

You’re not the first one to accidentally order carts or chips for the wrong printer model, but luckily yours is an easy solution of getting two new chips.

All the reset chips you currently have attached to your carts will work in your 3880 printer, except the M/VM and LM/VLM. The color position labels on the carts all read “magenta” or “light magenta”, even with the 3880 carts, but the chips specify the color position the carts can work in (this is how we receive them from the manufacturer). Without a 3880 VM and VLM reset chip attached to these two carts, your printer won’t accept them.
We can’t exchange the chips you have for the ones you need, because we would have to test and repackage the 3800 chips you have, before adding them back to inventory, and since you bought the carts about 6 mo ago, they are well beyond our return/exchange period.

Please let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: