Using Meth3 for gravures

I notice there are now two curves for photogravures using methodology 3.

A few questions… :slight_smile:

1. What is the difference between the two curves?

2. Does the use of a curve eliminate the need to do a double exposure using an aquatint screen?

3. Does the use of the curve eliminate the Photoshop correction to reduce the output black when using only MK ink (per the way MAS teaches it)?

4. Do you have a write-up specifically for how to linearize a test chart for photogravure?

thanks!
Michael

Hey Michael I’m going to reach out to Jon on this as he’s the gravure master. He’ll post in a bit I’m sure.

The curves for Photogravure did not come from us in Methodology 3. We offer Density Range Curves of 1.40, 1.50, 1.60, 1.70, 1.80

Photogravure on copper requires a very low density range… 1.50 may do it.

Send me the Photogravure Curves off list…and I will tell you what I can about them

I tried using the lowest DR methodology 3 curve for photopolymer gravure and I think it can be made to work very well but ultimately went to a home made QTR curve made with some K7 Selenium inks printed directly onto the plate and exposed without an aquatint screen, because its less work and expense. Bear in mind I am no expert when it comes to photopolymer gravure and am myself still finding my way out of the rabbit hole. When you make a good plate, the journey is just beginning.

FYI. We are in active development of a piezography digital negative process that lets one limit K6 .quad densities and build color-managed workflows for platinum (but it can be applied to gravure). We’ll be posting in detail soon.

This will allow full (automated) linearization of the negative without photoshop adjustments or image inversion. It will work with K7 inks as it simply drops the shade 7.

stay tuned,
Walker