Upgrade to catalina

My Print tool does not work since I upgraded to Catalina on my Mac. Will they be fixing the Print Tool to work with this upgrade in operating system ?

This is something you should ask the software developer about (QuadtoneRIP). But in general, yes there is always updates to add compatibility. I suggest never upgrading until .5 releases of the MacOS systems to give developers enough time to get compatible.

best regards,
Walker

I did, against better judgment, upgrade to Catalina soon after its release and then couldn’t print with Print Tool. I have since updated Print Tool to the latest version (this may not have been essential as my earlier version was 64 bit compatible ). I also upgraded to the Catalina release of Quad Tone RIP from the Quad Tone website. This Catalina release of the RIP is described as a Beta but has got Print Tool working again just now. Julian

Hello! With Catalina, Apple stopped supporting 32-bit apps like Print Tool and ColorPort. They won’t run on a machine using Mac OS 10.15. As Walker suggests, wait to upgrade, and let’s hope QTR and Print Tool get upgraded soon to 64-bit.

X-rite stopped developing their ColorPort software, so i1Pro users are stuck with running a system with 10.14 / Mojave. There seems to be a workaround though: https://www.pcmag.com/article/371267/how-to-run-32-bit-apps-in-macos-catalina

I have not tried this yet, but hope/need to soon. Will post a report here as soon as I can.

As I indicated in my post above, the latest version of Print Tool works with Catalina so is 64 bit compatible and there is a Beta version of the Quad Tone RIP which works with Catalina so must be 64 but compatible (and is producing prints already for me using Piezography curves on a Catalina based Macbook Pro). The Piezography print installer and the Piezography system more generally (including the somewhat related Print Tool and Quad Tone RIP) also seem to work fine with Catalina.

I agree however that the calibration tools are a problem with Catalina at this time. I can’t yet find a Colormunki Photo 64 bit app and as far as I can tell the Datacolor Spyderprint app won’t be updated to 64 but until October 15 according to the Datacolor website. I can’t therefore do any calibration without a workaround. Julian

Print-Tool is 64-bit (both versions) so that shouldn’t be a problem with Catalina, though as often is the case with OS upgrades it may be necessary to reinstall some apps.

Most of QTR appears to be 64-bit also. The exception is Curve-View which is still 32-bit. The original version of Data-Tool is also 32-bit, but the current version (1.2) is 64-bit.

Here are the Release Notes for the latest Catalina only version of QTR:

QuadToneRIP version 2.7.10 Release Notes

The Mac OSX release is for macOS Catalina compatibility.
For those on Mojave or before do NOT use this – go back to version 2.7.9.

Catalina is a major security release. Consider this QTR release a beta test
release for Catalina. So far Catalina itself is a beta release so its hard to know
for sure that this will work. If you are an early adopter of Catalina be aware
that there are a number of updates that can interfere with other applications.
The lack of 32-bit support is not the only issue. The “system” is now entirely
read-only. The “data” (both system and data) is separate. It’s actually at
/System/Volumes/Data but with various virtual links much of this is hidden.
Files have been moved but it seems like where it used to be.
But be warned that you may find things strange at first.

Installation still needs some Security workarounds. I’d do a clean install
on a separate disk so you can go back if you like.

For those who are not aware of it, there is an easy way to check which of your apps are 32-bit v. 64-bit:

1. Click the apple icon at top left of the menu bar and open About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. From the column on the left select Software > Applications.
  4. In the list that appears, one of the columns is 64-bit (Intel).
  5. 64-bit is indicated by Yes; 32-bit by No.

And finally some advice for those thinking of or preparing to take the leap to Catalina:

• Rather than installing it over your current OS, make a partition for it and install the new one next to the old. This is quite simple to do if you have an SSD drive using the APFS file system, and only slightly less simple on HDD drives without APFS.
  • This will give you a chance to test the new OS with your critical software before abandoning the old OS.
  • If you made a backup of your old system before upgrading to Catalina, you can probably reinstall it on a partition of your main drive giving you a dual-boot system.

I learned this the hard way several OSs ago, and then made the same mistake going from 10.13 to 10.14 early this year. My problem with Mojave was not related to printing though fortunately I had a backup and it was not too difficult to revert to High Sierra.

Hope all this is helpful to someone …

Keith

1 Like

i1Profiler will work and we will publish a video on how to measure targets using this software (hint: That workflow is already documented in screenshot form in the manual). This will be the official Catalina -> workflow. But as I said before, DON’T UPGRADE. Even Adobe (a multibillion dollar company) is telling people not to for a while.

best,
Walker

1 Like