Two out of three fail - R3000

Hello,

I purchased three cartridges with CC Pro inks (LB, LLB, VLM) after filling and installing them the printer said that the cartridges failed.
So I tried one at at time and found that the LLB was fine but the other two were no good. I assume its the chips. They both (the failed ones) look like battery type as far as I can tell.

How do I proceed?
BTW, I couldn’t find a customer # anywhere but there was a one letter + five digit # on the front of the package sent from you, so I assumed that was it.
If not the order id was - S030744269

Thank you,
Muggs

Hi Muggs~

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing an error with two of the three R3000 carts you recently purchased.

What is the exact error displayed on the printer’s LCD panel for the LK + VLM carts?
Do the cartridge boxes have dates on them? If so, what are the dates? Do the cartridge chips have the two gold reset points on the top? If so, they have batteries on the back, and old batteries may be causing the errors you’re experiencing (in which case, I’ll send you some new batteries).

Please let me know so I can help resolve this issue and get you back to happily printing.
Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,

Message is “Cannot recognize the following cartridge(s)”
All three boxes are dated - FEB-2014
Two gold contacts, yes. I don’t see any way to replace the batteries without removing them from the plastic part that is heat-staked to it.
In reviewing there are “new” chips that don’t have batteries? If so, are you just using up old stock of chips with batteries?

Thanks,
Muggs

Thanks for the additional information Muggs.

These carts are all nearly a year old, so I suspect old batteries is causing the cartridge errors you’re experiencing. I’ll have fresh batteries shipped to you.
Instructions for replacing chip batteries can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/product-use/r3000-cartridge-batteries/

Yes, our new chips don’t use batteries, which is great to avoid dealing with dead batteries, and needing to replace them. I personally prefer the battery chips, because they can be manually reset, which is helpful when refilling carts before they’re “empty”. The new battery-less chips can not be manually reset, and only reset automatically when the chip reads empty in the printer, cart is removed, refilled with ink, and upon reinstallation, the chip is reset to read full again. We’re using the remainder of battery chips before transitioning to the new style chips.

Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana,

Thanks, that looks easy enough! I’ll let you know when I get the batteries and whether that solves the problem.

OK, please let me know how everything goes or if you have any questions! :slight_smile:

Praise the Lord, All is well.
The new batteries did the trick. I did have the other (third) one give a slight hick-up, but reinsertion fixed that.
I just ordered some batteries so I can have them on hand as, reading through the forum, this seems to be a common problem.

Thanks Dana!

Fantastic, I’m glad to hear the new batteries did the trick, thanks for letting me know!
Yes, batteries have a limited life, so it’s good to have some fresh ones on hand to quickly replace as needed and resume printing without down time.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hello.
I too have 2 cartridges that aren’t being recognized by the printer.
Printer: epson r3000
Inks/carts: selenium/ cone with batteries
Purchased: late dec/14
Mac: Yosemite
Apps: Photoshop QTR rip, print tool
This is a new virgin printer so only inks/carts are cone.
Problem:
I installed all inks and did test prints. After doing aprox 17 8x10s and 2 13x19s it was time to refill.
No carts were empty just very low.
After refilling and resetting chips I put carts back in.
I get a prompt that Y and C carts are being recognized.
I shut down printer, unplugged power and usb cable, reset carts (with tweezers on contact points) put carts back in, plugged printer back in, turned only to get same prompt.

Not sure what to do here now. I wrote to Jon, explained and he said I need technical support here. So here I am.
Help?
An aside. I didn’t realize at purchase that you offer 2 types of carts. Ones w batteries one w/o.
I would much prefered to have been given the choice.
I would never ever buy the ones with batteries. Never. That they don’t reset until filled (and or empty) is zero matter to me. I’m happy to check them manually.
I seriously don’t want to take a cart apart to replace a battery if I don’t have to. These carts/batteries are really small and if I make a mistake I will destroy the whole cart.
Since this system is only 19 prints and 1 1/2 months old that could be a lot of batteries.
Meanwhile you guys are likely up to your ears in snow and cold and i have a printer sitting!
Any help?
Ty, melissa

Hi Melissa~

I apologize for not responding sooner, I was involved in a workshop later last week, so away from my email.
It does sound like you probably have two dead chip batteries, as they have limited life of about a year after manufacture.
The non-battery chips are new, and just being introduced into inventory. I will send you replacement batteries to use with your carts, and you can find battery replacement instructions here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/product-use/r3000-cartridge-batteries/

Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana

Dana,

I just wanted to say that I am not just a complainer, but willing to praise as well.
First prints today with the three ConeColor PRO ink refill carts and the prints are AMAZING!
The color (B&W, LOL) is perfect; the tones are great!

So thanks for a great product!

Hi Muggs~

Excellent, thanks for letting us know!

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: