Swapping inks and dealing with the residual in the lines

All of the printers we support will produce the same quality when Piezography is installed. So an R2000 would match the Pro 3880. The R2000 would allow you to use two sets of cartridges - one for PiezoFlush and one for Piezography inks. When you are not printing install the PiezoFlush carts and run two head cleanings and turn it off. To do the same in the Pro 3880, you would install a set of PiezoFlush filled carts and run three POWER CLEANS and shut it off. You can restore either model back to ink by installing the ink carts and running the same procedure that you did with the flush.

With the R2000 you are limited to paper size of 13". So you give up width. Also it will not want to handle thick paper as easily - but they can be made to.

Thanks Jon. The R2000 sounds like the way to go for me. It will make it a lot easier to try other ink sets along the way, and will make following best practice easier too.

And the bad news for anyone trying to convert a Piezography printer back to colour is that two power cleans doesn’t flush the PZ inks. I have just tried building a new ICC profile and it’s quite different to my old colour 3880

Then do three! Which is what we recommend in the installation instructions for the 3800 / 3880. Two does not bring the ink fully to the head - and you will have partially exchanged inks.

Thanks Jon. Somehow, I had 2 in mind. Is that 3 per K channel or are the blacks less of an issue?

The Power Clean is a function that does all channels at one time. You can not separate one channel at a time. So you run the POWER CLEAN three times.

Epson 3800/3880:
NOTE: 3-4 Power Clean Cycles can be done thru the printer’s control panel, which is the equivalent of doing 1 Initial Fill Cycle
To do a Power Clean Cycle, push the Menu button on the printer, scroll down to select Maintenance, then scroll down to select Power Clean, then push the center circle button to start the cycle. NOTE: Power Clean Cycles will only flush the black ink channel that the printer is currently in the mode of (where as the Initial Fill will purge ALL channels at once, including both blacks)

I think Jeff is referring to the MK/PK switch. Are you suggesting three power cleans for one K and then do the switch and do three for the other K?

I am referring to PK and MK. I understand that the Power Clean will only purge PK or MK. My question then is whether I should get the 3880 adjustment program and run an initial fill to flush all inks or to persist with power cleans. Additionally, should I load a set of cart with flush and do the initial fill with them and then follow that with Epson ink?

My first exercise with the new printer is to build profiles. I really need to know that I am back to square one before starting down that path.