SureColor P800 set up

The article you’re looking for is Piezography Linear or Match to Screen or Hardware Calibrate? | InkjetMall

In my view, what you’re seeing in those four images is what I described above, Spec Ed on a MK paper is subtle, on a PK paper it is not. Directly comparing the two will make the MK paper seem very subtle.

1 Like

Also to @Brian_S 's point, the image itself (foreground dark to mist background) is not exactly going to show the true color range of SPECED. Try printing a test image that is a bit more open and has full tonal range transitions throughout shadows to highlights.

best regards,
Walker

Can I just expand my earlier comments a little? I hope we don’t lose you here @Tony_Riley.

In Spec Ed, shade 1 is neutral, shade 2 is carbon shade 2 and shade 3 is 75% Carbon Shade 3 and 25% Selenium Shade 3. So the warmth of the shadows is going to depend on how deep the shadows are. The deeper they are, the more they will be printed with neutral shade 1 and less with the warmer shades 2 and 3, and conversely. This effect is amplified with the HD shade 1 blacks as they are very black.

I interpret @IJM_TechSupport’ s comment as saying that the shadows in that image are too dark to really reflect the warmth in shades 2 and 3. Those trees appear to be silhouetted. There’s likely to be a fair bit of neutral shade 1 in there. I’d expect the lower clouds to be warmer, although it’s hard to be certain from a scan.

The toning of prints made with Spec Ed will vary from print to print. A different image histogram, meaning a different distribution of tonality in the image, will use a different combination of the six or seven Sped Ed shades, and thus result in a different toning effect.

I’ve got Spec Ed prints hanging side by side and they look like they were printed with different inksets because of the different distribution of tonality in the images. I’ve some printed with the old non-HD blacks next to some with the HD and ditto. That’s the nature of the beast. As Walker said, if you have an image with a more evenly distributed histogram rather than a high contrast one, it will give a clearer indication of the range of Spec Ed possibilities.

Hi Brian and Walker - You’re not losing me cobber, and I’m so grateful to you and Walker for sticking with me, and taking the trouble to explain :slight_smile:
I understand both your postings, and they make perfect sense in explaining the SpecEd effects I’m getting. I just hope the extended posting is helping others too.

The last pics I posted were iPhone jpgs done in a GTI (non-dimmable) booth with a very bright surround to the prints, so probably underexposed. Also my monitor brightness was 119 cd, which I’ve now dropped to 70 cd, which should help my PT proofing and visual perception.

So, light at the end of the tunnel. PZ is wonderful !

Tony

2 Likes