Solved: Storing filled cartridges, mixing dye and pigment inks

Can I remove one of your refillable cartridges on an Epson 9900 printer and store the full or partially full cartricge for some time if, for instance, I wanted to switch between pigment and dye inks. Is there a shelf life for doing this? Is there any more issue in doing this with cartridges full of pigment inks than dye inks?

When I finally switched entirely to your inks from Epson’s ink, I noticed, I think, some loss in brilliance in some colors which I suspect has to do with the fact that Epson adds some dye ink to their pigment inks. Is there any reason I can’t mix some of your dye ink in with your pigment ink?

If this is possible, would you have a recommended dye ink/pigment ink proportion for doing this? Are there some pigment colors that are more lightfast that would fade less if some dye inks were added to those pigments.

Thanks,

–Kenoli

Hi Kenoli~

Yes, you can certainly remove and store our refillable carts with ink inside. To do this, we recommend storing them in sealed zip lock bags to prevent drying.

What profiles are you using with our ConeColor Pro inks? What papers are you printing on? Epson pigment ink contains some dye to help improve color vibrancy and gloss compatibility. Our ConeColor Pro inks are pure pigment, and specially formulated for the best color output, compatibility with a wide range of media, and good flow in a variety of Epson printer models. Ink chemistry isn’t as simple as pouring things together, in doing so you completely change the chemical makeup of the inks in ways we can’t possibly know of or support. People experiment all the time, so you can certainly try your hand in ink chemistry, but please be aware that we can not support you in this experiment, nor offer you any information in regards to how this mixture will work, the longevity, etc…

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks, Dana. Pretty much what I thought. I suspect there is some mixing of the Epson and Conecolor inks as they filter into the system. I will keep creating color profiles now and then until things get stable.

–Kenoli

You are very welcome!

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: