Solved: Quadtone RIP failing

I have been printing really nice BW prints with the Quadtone RIP and Piezography inks for a while now, but my 7600 suddenly started printing with no ink. I can get it to print using Epson’s driver, but it looks terrible. I now have 2 Epson 7600 printers set up for Piezography inks and I am having the same problem with both of them. In fact, now I only get a print failure message when I print through Photoshop. I downloaded the QTR Print Tool and it still prints without any ink. Coincidentally, both printers are indicating that their #1 jet is completely clogged. It’s driving me nuts!

Hi John~ I was getting ready to call you, but may be able to get this sorted out right now on the forum for free (and cancel your phone support order).

If the printers print with the Epson driver, but no ink prints with either machine when printing from QTR, then I’d say the printers are working (you’re not dealing with a clogged head, etc…), and it seems to be somehow related to QTR. Please clarify- are you saying the printers act like they are printing, but no ink actually gets on the paper? Or- do you get an error when you send a print job and can not print from QTR?

I recommend cleaning and reinstalling: delete the Epson print driver and QuadTone RIP (both the RIP and Print Tool), then download fresh copies from the Epson and QuadTone RIP sites for fresh instillations. After installing the fresh Epson driver, QuadTone RIP and QTR Print Tool, shut down the computer and printer at the same time. After about a minute, turn the printer and printer both on again. Confirm connection by printing a nozzle check from the Epson Utility. This is to test 1. connection and 2. nozzle check quality (you should have 7 full sections of Piezography inks). Provided the nozzle check prints correctly, move forward (but if it doesn’t- check your connection and try again). Open a grayscale image in QTR Print Tool, select your Quad7600-K7 printer model, push print to go to the QTR print window, select the curve for the paper you’re using, QuadTone RIP mode, your desired resolution + speed, and NO adjustments made to the ink limit or gamma settings.

Please let me know so I can help you get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana. Thanks for your prompt reply. The printers are both acting as if they are printing. The paper feeds through the printer and the head moves over the paper as if it is printing but no ink prints on the paper. If I use the Epson driver rather than the QTR the printer does print but obviously the resulting print is useless. As a side issue which I don’t think is related, both printers are clogged but only in the #1 slot. It seems odd to me that only the one ink jet is a problem in both printers. Do you think that is just a coincidence? Thanks John Henley

Hi John~

Thanks for the additional information. From what you say, this problem is specific to QTR printing, and not a problem with the printer, as they both print thru the Epson driver, but not thru QTR. Roy Harrington directly supports QTR and would be better suited to help you with this strange QTR issue, but I recommend you try my suggestion of deleting and reinstalling fresh, and restarting both the printer(s) and computer, to see if it fixes your problem first.

In regards to both printers being clogged in the #1/black slot- how clogged are they: missing a few nozzles, missing a good percentage of nozzles, or totally blank/not printing at all?
Have you been regularly agitating your ink carts and using the printers to maintain in suspension pigment and consistent output? What have you done to try cleaning the printers to get the blacks printing well again (for example: regular cleaning cycles, power clean cycles and manual cleaning of the capping station, wiper blade, flushing box and/or capping station)? When were the dampers last replaced in your printers? How about the capping station, wiper blade and/or flushing box?

Please let me know so I can help you get back to happily printing!
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
Thanks. I will definitely try reinstalling the QTR and printer. Both printers are totally blank on #1 and good in all the other slots. That seems odd to me. We have tried regular and power cleanings and manual cleaning of the capping station. I haven’t replaced anything yet. One of the printers is a recent purchase. I did a nozzle check before I purchased it two weeks ago and it was perfect. Is there a tendency for the #1 slot to be more problematic?
Thanks,
John

Hi John~

I looked up your order history and see you bought one set of refill carts and 8oz Special Edition inks in Feb 2012. How are you using two printers- did you get the other set of carts and inks elsewhere or from us under a different account? We have not had any problems or reports of flow issues/clogging with the Neutral shade 1, which is used for matte (non-gloss) printing with all our Piezography ink tones. It is strange that you are having the exact same problem with both printers not printing any black. Please check if the air vent holes are open on all the carts, exit channel primed with ink, and at least 1/2" of ink in each cart for proper ink flow.

The set of dampers, flushing box, capping station and wiper blade should all be replaced every 1-3 years, so if you’ve never replaced these items, I suggest you do. We have a few parts for this printer model, and you can find the other parts on-line at other stores, I recommend CompassMicro.com

Please keep me posted- Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana. I acquired a second 7600 from Philip Beaurline’s widow this March. Sadly Philip who was my Piezography mentor passed away this January. The cartridges were all full and the air vent holes were capped with those clear plastic funnel shaped plugs. They are open on both ends so I assumed that they allow ventilation. Am I wrong about that? Thanks for the info about CompassMicro.com.
John

Thanks for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of Philip’s passing. After looking up Philip’s order history, I see he purchased the refillable carts and set of Special Edition K7 inks in 9/2011.
I recommend removing the filters from the cartridge air vent holes so the air vent holes are open for proper ink flow. Regular cartridge agitation and use of the printers are also important for the best results and consistent output. Have you watched our video on large format refill carts? If not, you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjI4tIGQ4Y

Keep me posted~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;743]Thanks for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of Philip’s passing. After looking up Philip’s order history, I see he purchased the refillable carts and set of Special Edition K7 inks in 9/2011.
I recommend removing the filters from the cartridge air vent holes so the air vent holes are open for proper ink flow. Regular cartridge agitation and use of the printers are also important for the best results and consistent output. Have you watched our video on large format refill carts? If not, you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjI4tIGQ4Y

Keep me posted~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Dana. Good news. I took the plugs out and immediately got a good nozzle check on all seven positions. I then decided to try and print again and
to my surprise I got a print. I don’t know if it is a coincidence or if there is some connection but at least in the case of one of the printers fixing the clog seemed to fix the other problem as well. I’ll try the same thing with the other printer and see if the same thing happens again.
Much Thanks,
John

Excellent- glad to hear your back to printing!

I never personally never use the air vent filters with our 7600 refill carts. What I do is have the vent holes open when the printer is in use, then plug the holes (with some little plugs I fount that fit well, but electrical tape would also work well) to seal the carts to prevent evaporation and anything from getting inside the cart.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: