Solved: Problem printing GO

Try 2" all the way around. If it balks straight at the beginning - then increase only that from margin.

…that means an A2 sheet would have a border that takes up more than one third of the paper, A3+ would be nearly half and A4 would be…three quarters of the paper as border! Yipes!

have you tried to double print with only 1" yet?
you can not bleed print with Piezography - so you must use some border.
what have you tried ?

The last time I went through this I tried lots of combinations although I’m quite sure that I didn’t try such a wide border…I just realised that if I use the 2" border you recommended earlier, if I want an A2 print I’ll have to use A1 paper! Yipes! (I’d have to get a roll in…)

I just noticed that this thread has got lots of views (over 9100!)…perhaps someone out there is quite happy printing away on Glossy with a 7890 or 9890 and could chip in and tell us hope they are doing it??? What do you reckon Jon?

I can tell you that we do not have 9100 7890/9890 users.

And those methods that users have discovered have worked have been populated onto this forum. Did you try them all? We do not have any magic solution to the sensor issue and the sensor issue appears to act differently often for those with sensors that do not allow double printing. I have heard recently that someone discovered another sensor that if it is just covered - it can’t see one way or the other and just allows the printer to run out of paper. But I was traveling and did not have an opportunity to write the sensor location down. Was just a chance meeting with someone who double prints color fine art prints and solved the issue that way. Perhaps you can google the different sensor locations on your printer and try blocking them by taping a piece of white paper over them.

I’ve gone through the various posts and the only “method” which seems to work is to leave a 2"-3" margin. Are there some other working methods which I didn’t see?

I’ve been told that taping white paper over the sensors may prevent them from stopping the printer

Bill,
If you find yourself printing lots of smaller prints it may be more economical to purchase a smaller printer dedicated to printing GO on those prints. Given the cost of paper, it may not take too long to pay for itself. Just a thought.

Good luck,
John

It’s a very good thought because you only need a printer with one working channel to configure it for GO! Should be able to find one like that for free.

John - thanks for the suggestion. I quite often print test prints on A4 and then final prints on A2. With a 2-3" border on A4 paper, the test print would become tiny.

Jon - you say "I’ve been told that taping white paper over the sensors may prevent them from stopping the printer ". Dana seems to disagree - she’s written in this forum more than once: “I even tried tricking the sensor by applying a piece of white paper over it, but that didn’t work either.”

Dana knows

Bill, but that’s the whole point. You can make your test print on A4 (approx. letter size) with minimal borders then run it through a separate printer to apply the GO. Were you fortunate enough to find a used 3880 or 3800 printer you could use it to print GO on both A4 and A2 (16.5x23.4 for we Americans) with minimal borders.

Good luck,
John

John,
I’m afraid I didn’t yet find a used Epson 3880 or 3800 hanging around…I hope I get that lucky. I’ve just got the Epson 7890, a couple of 1400s, a 1500W (plus a Durst 138 Laborator!). I’ve also got a set of 7890 carts filled with Special Edition inks which I’d love to use as they were designed to be used…

Bill, Sorry I just saw your posting here on GO difficulties. I’ll put in my experience since initially collaborating with Dana, determining what works for me, and just short of dancing naked around the printer, chanting voodoo spells and shaking a bloody chicken leg at the printer.

I initially had mixed success printing on my 9890 K7 MPS printer with selenium inkset—the difficulty being the hit and miss application of GO. Sometimes it wasn’t an issue. Other times the GO application was an exercise in futility. As you can see from the length of this thread, there have been a lot of different solutions tried, and Dana really has come up with the best imho grouping of solutions----short of buying a specialized printer just for applying GO! With a 9900, 9890 K7, a 4800, and a couple of event printers already in studio (not to mention the two business laser printers) adding yet another printer only for GO application is not in the cards. If your printer is smaller, it just may be worthwhile to have a second printer around for GO. I simply don’t have the room—and my K7 printer has a 44" carriage, so another 44" printer just for GO is not even a consideration. I know it sounds crazy, but you might try what I have found works for me. I don’t print a high volume of B&W K7 prints on my 9890, but using this quirky workflow, I have a very high success rate when applying GO----probably in the 90%+ zone, to where GO difficulties are rare.

My system is a 9890 converted to K7 MPS selenium matte/gloss. I use a dedicated computer to print on the 9890, using Win 7 professional and QTR. After printing a K7 print and allowing it to set----I prepare to print the GO. The paper should be as flat as possible. Insert the print with the darkest shades part first. If anything, this is the most difficult part for me as sheet feeding with these big Epsons is a weakness. Sometimes I have to keep trying to load the sheet into the printer until it will accept it. I’ve found that feeding the paper in a bit deeper and keeping it as straight as possible using the paper guides helps. Sometimes I need to turn the printer off and turn it back on. Leave margins or plenty of unused media around the print edge. I usually have at least two inches of extra media around, but sometimes less. When you are ready to print the GO using QTR, shut out the lights (yeah, crazy I know), hit print and walk away.

ken

When I brought this issue up again a couple of weeks ago was rather hoping to hear: “Solution Found!” and not “Solution Found: buy a second printer!” or “Solution Found: leave half of the paper blank!”

At this point I conclude that there is no solution (in the sense of “problem solved”) to make the inkset work as advertised (and which cost me $1500).

Thanks Ken. I appreciate you taking the time to write. The thought of dancing naked around the printer worries me – too many moving parts.

I just wanted to post an update here that I have been working on Piezography Pro development over the past few weeks, and have specifically been focusing on making the system so ink and GO print at the same time, which will resolve the issue of these sensors not allowing you to print over a print. This is exciting news, and the prints are looking very promising :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying what Walker recommended in another thread, which is to put a piece of paper over the sensor and pull it up at the right time. So I have a scrap piece of 13x19 paper taped to the top of my printer. It’s taped on one edge to the front edge of the printer and cut so it doesn’t touch the stops when loading sheet paper (so it won’t get grabbed with the real paper). Make a note of a feature on the print that’s 5 inches from the trailing end. To load I put the already printed sheet in, slip the loose end of the taped sheet in front of the print. Then I press the load button (down arrow), which grabs the print. Then I print the GO normally. When the noted feature gets past the rollers and starts being printed over I pull the taped sheet out. If you don’t pull the paper out the printer won’t create a nice clean border of GO, and some strange feed issue happened once. So far this has worked for 10s of prints, mostly 10x12 and letter sized. I’m still not entirely confident it won’t fail at some point. But so far so good. At least it hasn’t spit out a half coated print since I started this.

I’m on a 7900, and I think the biggest print I’ve tried this way has been a 17x22. No promises, but hopefully some of you can test this out on larger paper.

Edit: applied GO to a half dozen 24x31 sheets using this method, all without issue.