Solved: printing at 1440 and bi directional or 2880?

my epson prints so much faster at 1400 and also bi directional.

has anyone experienced real world advantages printing piezo k7 inks at 2880 and unidirectional on matte paper?

if there is a difference in quality? if so, where should i be looking to see the differences?

in the highlights, tonal transitions, sharpness…

thank you.

You should print two prints side by side. 1440 bi-directional and 2880 uni-directional and see if you can see the difference in your work. It should be either very obvious or subtly obvious depending upon your work. You may find 2880 bi-directional (in between quality and speed is sufficient for you.)

Bi-direction requires a printer that does not band in bi-directional mode. If you see banding - you should get out your Epson printer manual and learn how to perform a bi-directional alignment.

cheers!

Jon

does printing at 2880 consume more ink?

“2880dpi” prints 2,880 dots of ink per inch, for higher quality print output than 1440dpi. The more “dots per inch” the more ink used- but the higher quality the print output.

Dana, any idea how much more since more dots but the dots are smaller?

is like 10%, 20%, 50% more ink?

thanks for all the help.

I asked Roy, and this is what he told me:

[I]2880 dpi uses just one size dot on most printers. 1440 typically uses 3 possible size.
2880 is actually usually 2880x1440 and 1440 is usually 1440x720. So there is a 4x
difference in number of dots.

For the amount of ink, my assumption would be that for the same looking print you’ll
use the same amount of ink regardless of the resolution. Curves are made for a specific
resolution so another res might be darker or lighter. The downside of 1440 would be
speed, sharpness, etc not amount of ink. [/I]

1 Like