Solved: PK cartrigde not recognized by 3880

We just purchased the refillable cartridges for our Epson Stylus Pro 3880.
I have refilled my first cartridge (PK).
I followed the written directions not the video.
For priming it states to push the tip through the membrane (looks like a piece of tape covering the end of the cartridge) to do the priming. Do not remove the membrane. I have not removed the membrane.
I get the message
No ink cartridge
Install ink Cartridge
As per your forum I used an eraser on the gold contacts.
Same result.
What is the next step?
Can I try a chip off of a different empty refillable cartridge?

Please check the PK reset chip. The plastic base of every 3880 reset chip should have three small plastic tabs around the side that hold it onto the cartridge. If any of these tabs are broken or bent inward, the chip will not stay secured to the cartridge, therefore not have a good connection with the Epson chip underneath, which will cause an error. Also, on the back of every reset chip, there should be three metal pins that stick out and touch the Epson chip- the three pins should be equal length for proper contact with the Epson chip. Please check the plastic base to make sure there are three plastic tabs, and if they are all in place, gently bend them outward slightly to ensure they catch and hold onto the cartridge. Also check to make sure the three metal pins are present and equal length. On the front of the chips, please check the gold contacts to make sure nothing is on the contacts that would interfere with the printer’s ability to read it- if you see anything on the gold contacts, gently clean them with either an alcohol pad or pencil eraser.* After checking all these things, push the reset chips back onto their corresponding cartridges and make sure they are pushed all the way onto the cart for a good connection with the Epson chip, then reinsert the cartridges into your printer and see how the printer responds. Please let me know~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
All three tabs are there.
All tree pins appear to be the same length.
I slightly bent the front part of the plastic above the clip.
There was some play in the reset chip. That is gone now.
The three tabs are holding.
There is nothing on the gold contacts of either chip, as previously mention I already used the eraser on them.
Put the cartridge back in the printer with the same result.
Can I put one of the other reset chips in this cartridge?

Hi Ralph- thanks for checking the chip and letting me know your results. I see you bought the set of carts, but no ink or flush fluid- what are you using these carts for? If you are using with color inks and are installing one cartridge at a time, then you may be able to use the MK reset chip on the PK cartridge (over the Epson PK chip), but the chips are generally color position specific (I have successfully used a PK chip on a MK cart, but have not tested the other way around). Have you tried installing any of your other refillable carts, or is the first/only that you’ve tried so far? Please let me know so I can send you the necessary replacements. Best regards~ Dana

Hi Dana,
We have an Epson 9880 printer that has refillable cartridges.
We are using the ink from the bottles for that printer to refill the 3880 cartridges. It is the same ink.
PK just happens to be the first and only cartridge that I have refilled for the 3880.
We are waiting to use the ink in the Epson cartridge before switching to the refillable cartridge.
If the reset chip is color specific I will wait for a replacement chip.
Fortunately my executive found a different 11X17 printer to send his prints to.
Is there a lot of problems with the reset chips?
I saw one other posting and the problem was the reset chip.
We have a chip resetter for our 9880.
Can I use the tool on the refillable cartridge while I am waiting for a new autoreset chip?
Will it work?
Will it make a difference?
Thank you,
Rich

Hi Rich~ I didn’t realize who I was talking with, and there are two names on your account, so that’s why I assumed you were “Ralph”.

There have been some problems recently with the latest shipment of 3800/3880 reset chips we received. We have already tested all the cartridge chips we had in inventory as of last week, and have reported to the cartridge manufacturer to resolve the issue and send us replacement chips for our carts and customers. All the carts/chips currently in inventory have been tested in our printer and are “known good”, but there may be some issues with chips bought prior to our testing. The replacement chips we send have been tested in our printer and confirmed to be good.

The 9880 chip resetter will not work with your 3880 carts. Is this the “tool” you’re referring to? A bad chip is bad and can not be “fixed”, so we will send you a replacement 38xx-PK reset hip in today’s mail.

Please let me know if you have questions or if there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
Not a problem. I will look for the chip. Will it come addressed to Ralph or Rich.
I am on the IT Helpdesk.
Ralph is the executive that did the purchase order.
Is there any way to pretest the chips or do I just need to wait until I am ready to install the cartridges?
Thank you,
Rich

Hi Rich~ Ralph is the contact on your shipping account, so unless you need it to be different, I will use the same name/address we have shipped to previously.

You can test the other reset chips by putting the corresponding Epson chip underneath, and inserting the carts into your printer to see how it responds. If the printer gives a “NO cartridge” error with any carts, try reinstalling the cartridge flashing on the LCD panel by making sure the chips are correctly positioned and pushed down all the way, then reinstall to check if the printer accepts or continues to give an error. Please let me know if you have any questions or what your results are.

Please let me know if there’s anything further I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Correction- your name is on the shipping address, and Ralph is the billing address- so the replacement chip will come to your attention :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
I received the new chip and it works.
However now I have a major problem. I recieved
“Service Call Error 1404
Please Contact to the
Repair Center”
I tried rebooting the printer a couple of times. I finally found out how to open the door in this situation (force). The printer was full of ink. The cartridge was half empty. I pulled other cartridges and there was ink in their slots also. The ink went everywhere. I is on the carpet, table, printer, and my shirt. I sure hope it will not wreck my printer and I hope it did not affect the chips. I removed the chips and have been rinsing the cartridge for probably a 1/2 hour to get the ink out of the double wall. The water will run clean then I shake the cartridge and it turns black again. I believe that the cartridge has an internal leak somewhere (rupture or crack).
This printer has already been down for over a week because we decided to use your refillable cartridges. I do not know if we just happened to receive bad parts by luck of the draw or if you product is not very good. We need to do something here to get this fixed!
Rich

Hi Rich~ I’m glad to hear the new chip is working, but the 1404 error you are now getting is a pressurization error. What cartridge is 1/2 empty and leaking from the inside membrane? Is there any chance the cart was dropped? I have accidentally dropped one of these carts, and it caused the thin membrane to break and cartridge to leak ink. Please tell me which color position cartridge and I will send you a replacement right away! I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, and please know we have many customers happily printing with these carts and the failure rate is very low, so unfortunately between the bad chip and now a pressurization error caused by a leaking cartridge is a bad first experience- that we will make right!

Hi Dana,
It is the PK cartridge.
The cartridge was never dropped here.
I am very happy that you are going to send a new cartridge!
This is the first refillable that we have tried so far. We did purchase all of them. I hope we have better luck with the others as they become empty.
The chip did come to Ralph and not to me. I caused some confusion.
If you can please send the cartridge to me: Richard Safreno
Thank you,
Rich

Ok, thanks- I just wanted to be sure we’re still talking about the PK cart before I sent you a new one. The replacement cart will go out today- I opened the package to pressure test the cartridge body and test the chip in our printer before packing it up.

Please let me know if there’s anything further I can help you with. Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
I should have gotten back to you sooner.
The new cartridge and chip works. I am finally able to use the printer again.
Thank you,
Rich

Excellent, thanks for letting me know!
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: