Solved: Misplaced L K & LLK Ink Cartridges Epson 7900

Replenishing starter cartridges in a relatively new machine The LLK mistakenly got put in the LK Slot. The mistake was not discovered until after making several 8 x 10 color prints.
The images were reproductions of oil paintings and just looked weird tone-wise. I realized the trouble had to have something to do with the cartridge swap, and sure enough that was it.
Then the switch was made to put the inks in the correct place, and a few normal cleanings run. I printed a B&W photo and the print had a “solarized” look to it.

I dialed up tech support and they said no harm done, but the misplaced ink must be “flushed out” of the line from the cartridge to the print head. It was also suggested that running several cleanings of the color pairs containing LK & LLK.

Did that.
At this point I’m running 24 x 24" B&W prints of an image that is medium light in tone and not very contrasty, to try and “print my way out of it” Any input would be welcome!
Thank you!

To be continued…

Dear Experienced users & Fellow Cone Heads,
I’m thinking that maybe a POWER Cleaning should be performed next to try and rectify this ink mix up thing, but for the time being I guess I’ll read up some more and wait for replies on the forums to see if anyone else has com across this. Yes I feel like a dummy.
RayRay

Hi Ray Ray~ Sorry for not responding right away, I just returned from SPE this afternoon.

What I would do in your case to flush out the LK and LLK channels to correct the ink switch, is to use Calibration Mode with the QuadTone RIP. This will focus on the two effected channels without wasting ink in the other positions (which would happen if you did a bunch of power clean cycles). I included instructions for doing this below.

I hope this helps, please let me know if there’s anything further I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Flush individual channel using QTR Calibration Mode:
To print from one specific ink channel (which is helpful when flushing just one line, without wasting ink in the other positions by doing power clean cycles), you can use the QuadTone RIP’s Calibration Mode.

Mac:*

1. Open the “inkseparation8” image in Photoshop (located in Applications> QuadToneRIP> CurveDesign>Images folder) and select “Leave as is (don’t color manage)” in the Missing Profile window.
  2. If using 10.6 or higher, Assign sRGB to the image; if using 10.5 or lower Assign AdobeRGB (1998) to the image.
  3. Select the 100% patch of the color strip for the channel you wish to print (each strip is labeled with the color position) and make the entire image that color.*
  4. Select the K7 version of your printer as your printer model then select the paper size you wish to print on in the Page Setup window.*
  5. With Photoshop CS3 or below, select No Color Management in the Color Handling pull down list; with CS4*and above, select Photoshop Manages Color and the same document space as the profile (either sRGB or AdobeRGB) then push Print to continue.
  6. Change the Copies & Pages pull down list to QuadTone RIP.* In the Mode pull down list, select QuadTone*RIP Calibration (which will gray out the three curve pull down lists).
  7. Select 100% saturation if printing on scrap heavyweight, coated/print paper or about 50-80% if printing on*uncoated, very thin or typing paper.*Select the paper feed: either sheet or roll, 1440dpi is fine to select for this purpose bi-directional will print faster than uni-directional.

Windows:

1. Make a color flush image by opening the “inkseparation” image in Photoshop (located in the C> Program Files> QuadToneRIP> bin folder).*
  2. Select the 100% patch of the color strip for the channel you wish to flush (each strip is labeled with the color position), and fill the entire image with that color- save the image as “QTRflush-color position”
  3. Open QuadTone RIP and select the paper size you wish to print on
  4. Select Tools> Options> Calibration Mode, which will automatically open an ink separation image file.
  5. Open the flush image by selecting File> Open (this image is a very specific RGB color, which controls the individual channel when printed thru QTR’s calibration mode)
  6. Select 100% saturation if printing on scrap heavyweight, coated/print paper or about 50-80% if printing on uncoated, very thin or typing paper.*
  7. Select the paper feed: either sheet or roll,1440dpi is fine to select for this purposebi-directional will print faster than uni-directional