Solved: LR 4 and QTR

I read the latest LR blog.I am a new Piezography user.My printer is R 1400 and using K 7 inks.I do not see the QTR printer in my LR print module.Can some one help me to send the image to QTR straight from LR.

Are you using Windows?

yes ,I am using windows 7

Please read the NEW Piezography Manual so that you will understand that you can not print to QTR from any Windows application.

QTR for Windows is a stand alone application. You can only print from QuadTone RIP GUI application on windows. Only Mac users can print directly to QTR as a “printer”.

It is vitally important to read the manual in order to understand how to use the system. I hope that you read the installation page for your printer so that you have the ink shades in the correct location. Please do not proceed without reading the Piezography Manual. It is [located here](http://I believe that you are on Windows as I saw an anonymous post to the Piezography website asking the same exact question but that it said you were on Windows. I believe that you need to read the NEW Manual so that you will understand that you can not print to QTR from any Windows application. QTR for Windows is a stand alone application. You can only print from QuadTone RIP on windows. Only Mac users can print directly to QTR as a “printer”. You will find the NEW Piezography Manual here. Please read it to make sure that you have installed QuadTone RIP on your PC and that you understand how to use the system. If you installed the system correctly using Mac OS - the printer will be there for you to choose, but d).

You cannot print directly to QTR through the LR Print Module and it wouldn’t make much sense anyway, as the image needs to be in Grey Gamma 2.2 profile in order to print correctly with K7.
There is no way to convert to GG 2.2 in LR, not even for Mac users :frowning:

My workaround: (I’m on Mac but this should work on PC too)
I edit my image (after final retouching, etc.) in Photoshop and convert the image to GG 2.2 - save and return to LR. It now keeps the correct profile for K7 as long as you only edit the ‘original’.
In LR preferences, add a new custom external editor, in your case QTR (you have to browse to the exact location of ‘QTRgui.exe’ in you Program Files folder).
Back in the Library Module, choose your image that has been converted to GG 2.2 and that you wish to print. Using the edit command, EDIT THE ORIGINAL with the external editor that you had just added.
This should open your image in QTR.

Obviously, you cannot take any advantage of the LR Print Module functions, like layout, duplicating, etc.

Let me know if this works.

Sidney

1 Like

AdobeRGB 1998 is a source profile you can use. It’s internal Gamma is 2.20. Do not use ProPhoto RGB (ever) for printing.

On Mac - you can print directly to QTR from LR this way and the Gamma of 2.20 follows.

In Windows you can only print through the stand alone application called QTR GUI.

If you want to export your DNG file - it is okay to convert to BW in develop module but do not so any split tone. Keep it a grayscale RGB file. QTR understands those and treats them as grayscale files.