Solved: clogs in piezoflush postions

will the (4) positions where flush is installed clog over time since my Epson 4900 will only be printing out of 7 positions?

do nozzle checks help stop those positions from clogging since those (4) positions will not be used for printing prints?

thanks

The PiezoFlush will prevent the clogging. If you keep the Epson ink carts in place - they will most likely clog.

The nozzle checks and auto clean cycles consume PiezoFlush from those positions. So PiezoFlush in any used position is best!

does my nozzle check need to be perfect in order to achieve a great print or is it ok to have some line breaks in a nozzle check?

will the effects of a line break in a nozzle check always effect a print?

also if after running many power cleaning in the 4900 and still not a perfect nozzle check what is the next step?

thank you kindly

perfect - or you will have some microbanding!

The Epson 4900 - 7900 - 9900 are a generation of printer that should never be bought without extending the warranties. The Service Manual that the technicians use for this printer clearly state that the ink filter/damper must be changed once a year. The wiper blade wears out quickly and the ability to clean the head properly begins to fail. We do sell PiezoFlush and refillable carts to help clean out the damper and any clogs on the inside side of the print head.

Changing the wiper blade yourself (less than $20 part) often is all that is required - but this generation of printer in not one that you will be able to maintain like a 4880 - 7880 - 9880 printer. This one will need parts each year to include damper, wiper blade, and potentially a print head.

You will get the best quality output with all nozzles fully/correctly printing, though the new x900 printers have so many nozzles per channel, that a missing nozzle or two often doesn’t cause any visible problems in the output.
Especially with the new model printers, Power Clean Cycles can cause back pressure and starve the print head of ink, which can make things look worse than before the cleaning cycle. The Power Clean Cycles should mainly be used when pushing a lot of ink thru the printer, or purging air from the lines. Regular cleaning cycles are best for dealing with clogs. How many nozzles in what positions are you missing? Do the missing nozzles move around, or remain in the same position after cleaning cycles have been done?

Please let me know so I can help.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

1 Like

i just have a few missing lines.

is it worse if the missing lines are always in the same spot?

can i change the wiper blade and damper myself on the 4900?

thanks

If the same nozzles are missing in each nozzle check, then you are dealing with something in or on the print head (a clogged nozzle), rather that air- which move around to different nozzles.

You can do many repairs yourself (provided you have the ability to thoroughly read + follow instructions, have patience to work with small pieces, and give yourself enough time so you’re not rushing), by following repair procedures in the Epson 4900 Service Manual, which you can get online (I get repair manuals for all our various Epson printer models from www.2manuals.com). I know there are many places to get replacement printer parts online, and I typically get parts from www.compassmicro.com that we don’t carry (we mainly just carry dampers, wiper blades and cutter blades), though I just checked and see they only have three parts listed for the 4900- including the “Pump Unit”, which includes the pump, flushing box, capping station, wiper blade and wiper blade cleaner all in one easy to replace unit. They also carry the damper assembly (“selector unit”). You may be able to find the wiper blade separately elsewhere.

As soon as I have the time, I need to work on our 4900, which I believe needs a new pump… When I work on the 4900, I will photograph and record the procedure to help others gain knowledge and confidence in working on their own printers.

I hope this helps, best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

1 Like