Solved: 7900 Yellow and LL Black clog on lightly used 3 yr printer

Hi Friends,

Before I commit my beloved 7900 to a demolition derby is it worth the investment in a Y and LLK catridge plus cleaning solution? Both channels are clogged. I’ve run the requisite cleaning cycles and have cleaned the wiper blade. I also observe that at one point the LLK nozzle was clear but after another cleaning cycle to clear the Y the LLK clogged again, totally. I know the nozzles are coupled.

Thanks for your help/

Bob

Hi Bob~

Yes, it is absolutely worth cleaning and seeing if you can get your 7900 printing well again!

About how old is this printer? When were the dampers and wiper blade last replaced? (as per the Epson repair manual, they should be replaced about once a year) How often have you been using this printer vs. how long does it sit unused?
What are the temperature and humidity levels in your printing environment?

Please let me know so I can help get your 7900 working well again, and you back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your help as I navigate these treacherous waters.

The printer is about 3 years old. maybe 4. It shows about 800 prints made. It does sit unused for a few weeks at a time. Temperature and humidity are normal household at about 65-68 degrees and 50-55 (?) relative humidity from a central humidifier on a forced air system.

I am the first to admit my naivete about the printer’s maintenance requirements, It’s interesting that Epson’s user manual mentions nothing about regular maintenance.

You mention the Epson ‘repair’ manual. Is this their publication number SEIJ08005? I managed to find one on the web. I see that Epson doesn’t want us owners to have it.

If this is the correct manual could you tell me which page the damper replacement requirement is on? I have not been able to find it.

I’ve been reading extensively about the x900 series on the web. It seems there are many many angry owners with this problem. This of course is not your problem and I really appreciate any advice you have from your experience with these printers. It seems to me that Epson has a lot of nerve to sell equipment with hidden maintenance requirements. It has more nerve to continue selling the 900 series if in fact there is an engineering defect.

One last thing, I created an all yellow six inch square in photoshop and printed it on the 7900. Looks perfect. Is this a non scientific test?

Regards,
Bob

Hi again,

After doing some more research over the weekend I was able to obtain a copy of the Epson 7900 Field Repair Guide which is a different publication than the
Service Manual (SEIJ08005), so I’ve answered my own question.

Bob