Smudging

Hi, I’ve been using Conecolor ink in my Epson 4800 for a couple of years, but recently I’ve sometimes noticed that full black areas of a print have a strange quality. It’s hard to describe, but kind of milky and not a clean black. Now just recently, I made a print and i could actually smudge my finger on it. It was almost as though I printed on the back of RC paper.

Any idea of what’s going on here?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve~

You’ve been using ConeColor inks in your 4800 for years with good results, then suddenly noticed it sometimes prints with a “strange quality” to the black and smears?
After reviewing your order history, I see you purchased refillable carts for a 7800/9800 and ConeColor inks in 2011, and have bought additional ink bottles since then, but I don’t see that you purchased 4800 carts from us- are you using our ink in different 4800 carts?
How often have you been agitating the ink carts?
How often is the printer used vs. how long does it sit unused?
You said this happens “sometimes”- but not all prints?
What paper(s) are you printing on?
Can you please post some pictures showing the strange quality you’re getting, so I can see and better understand?
For information on how to attach images to this forum, please go here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?152-How-to-attach-images-to-this-forum

Please let me know so I can help you get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana