Shadow detail / ICC profiles

I have recently installed a set of K7 neutral inks in my Epson R2400. I am using a hardware-calibrated Eizo CG222W (with Colormunki Photo). I have been experimenting with two different calibrations on the Eizo (5000K, 80cd/m2; 6500K, 80cd/m2)

I am already very impressed by the quality of the output I am getting with the K7 inkset, but I do have a couple of questions:

1. My print output holds noticeably more detail in the very dark shadows than what I am seeing on the Eizo (irrespective of whether I use the 5000K or the 6500K calibration). It is not a huge difference in the shadows, but it is noticeable. Is this normal or can I expect a better match between the two?

2. I would also like to generate an ICC profile to enable better soft-proofing on screen. As far as I can work out, I cannot generate a profile with my Colormunki set-up because it is only designed to work with a color inkset. If that is right, am I correct in thinking I will need to get an ICC profile made by a third party?

Many thanks for your help with these questions. I am loving these new inks!

Ian

It is very difficult for any display to produce the amount of tonal separation that Piezography K7 produces. Are you calibrating with the Eizo Color Navigator software through the Munki - or are you calibrating through the Color Munki software?

Have you read how to generate Soft Proof ICCs using the Create ICC tool from QuadTone RIP? I think that people have worked out how to use the Munki to make the measurements on their Users Group. Create ICC was designed for use with the Eye1 instrument - but there are only 21 measurements to make - and I think that the Munki can be used. So check on the QTR website and users group.

Let us know how you are using the calibration - Eizo software or the Munki software. That makes a huge difference…

[QUOTE=jon;1005]It is very difficult for any display to produce the amount of tonal separation that Piezography K7 produces. Are you calibrating with the Eizo Color Navigator software through the Munki - or are you calibrating through the Color Munki software?

Have you read how to generate Soft Proof ICCs using the Create ICC tool from QuadTone RIP? I think that people have worked out how to use the Munki to make the measurements on their Users Group. Create ICC was designed for use with the Eye1 instrument - but there are only 21 measurements to make - and I think that the Munki can be used. So check on the QTR website and users group.

Let us know how you are using the calibration - Eizo software or the Munki software. That makes a huge difference…[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for your reply, Jon.

I am using ColorNavigator 6 to calibrate the Eizo directly. I am not using the Colormunki software. The strange thing is that my ordinary Mac laptop display seems to capture a bit of the extra dark shadow detail that the Eizo is missing…

Meanwhile I will look at the QTR users group for building an ICC profile using the Munki.

Cheers

Ian,

I looked into building an ICC profile using a Munki awhile ago but gave up when I realized that QTR recommended ProfileMaker 5 was a PowerPC app and I didn’t want to try running the PC version under Parallels on the Mac.

If you find a good way to build and ICC profile with the Munki on the Mac, please share your results… I’d be interested.

Thanks,
John

Me again

Well, I have successfully created an ICC profile using the ColorMunki and am now using that profile for soft-proofing in Photoshop. Wow! My Eizo is now showing me all the shadow detail I have in my prints, and the screen-to-print match is the best I have ever achieved with any set of inks. Thanks again Jon for the pointer to the QTR discussion group.

JohnB - I found the following link through the QTR group. It provides a black and white test print and explains how to create an ICC profile using the ColorMunki. Once you have created the 3-column data file described, just drag it onto the “QTR-Create-ICC” application in the QuadToneRIP folder and it should spit out an ICC profile for you. Give me a yell if you have any trouble with the process and I will try to help you out:

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian- I’m glad to hear your prints and on-screen print preview are looking so great. Thanks for your feedback!

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: