Reliability of R2000 carts

After my last set of issues with R2000 carts, I had my printer sitting with flush carts. When I started it again, it all looked good. I thought that it may be advisable to start recording my daily nozzle check in case of any future issues. It didn’t take long. I got four days before the problems started. For the next to days, the PK cart was missing a few segments which were cleared by another nozzle check. Today, the nozzle check showed about two full lines missing on the R cart. I ran another nozzle check and then had 2 lines missing in R and PK. I ran an inksep which gave a nice big blob on the paper but a subsequent nozzle check was clear.

I pulled the carts to see if there is any obvious draining. If there is, it must be slow. As you know, I have already replaced two defective carts and now I have at least one more. I bought a number of sets of these carts when I bought my R2000 but I’m now wondering whether there is a good set in the lot of them.

I would not have thought that I was asking for anything unusual when I bought these carts. My belief is that they are defective to start, and certainly more problematic than they should be. What am I supposed to do now? Should I keep on trying different carts in the hope that I may actually get a reliable set?

Any chance of a response before your new President declares war on the world?

Too late! RUN!!!

But, yes, you should source a different cartridge set and see if they work better for you.

Something in your cleaning box is causing the ink to wick. That you are getting blobs indicates that you may be over-foaming inside the box, but this too may just be the excess fluid being wicked from the carts. This normally drains but it is possible your pad is too close and contacting, or its just not draining. IN any event - an OEM cart has a micro channel vent coupled with an internal valve. Both are patent protected and prevented by an ITC-337 from being imported into the USA. So no 3rd party carts in USA since 2007 with those features. That ours work in most our customers printers does not make the design defective. You just need a set with less aggressive venting for your particular clean box.

If you get a new set and you still have the same issues - then you might want to try and modify your clean box height by removing it, shaving a very small amount off the mounts to lower, bit by bit. But I would first remove the drain tube and make sure nothing like sludge build up is in there causing it to drain slowly.

Try and buy a set of carts that have the micro-valve. They are usually gray opaque and look exactly like the OEM! Then mail us a set. We can’t import but we can accept gifts!

I would like to know too. So far, the IJM carts are the best of the lot, but if there’s a bad batch, it’s a real pain getting warrantee shipping across borders, let alone across oceans.

Jeff, so far mine have been good. They’re the battery style, so I’m not sure if mine are an older or newer style than yours.

Also, can you take a good picture of the exit ports of your carts? I did find some correlations between the condition of the exit ports and the nozzle checks. Might you have any dried ink on the nipples on top of the head?

And I’ve started digging my escape hole to Australia.

Larry

[QUOTE=jon;12699]Too late! RUN!!!
[/QUOTE]

AAAAAACCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK! He’s here!

Larrjjbyqhab

[QUOTE=jon;12699]…
IN any event - an OEM cart has a micro channel vent coupled with an internal valve. Both are patent protected and prevented by an ITC-337 from being imported into the USA. So no 3rd party carts in USA since 2007 with those features. That ours work in most our customers printers does not make the design defective. You just need a set with less aggressive venting for your particular clean box.

Try and buy a set of carts that have the micro-valve. They are usually gray opaque and look exactly like the OEM! Then mail us a set. We can’t import but we can accept gifts![/QUOTE]

Interesting…

Although I can’t wait to see Border Security come across this package… I’ll be watching for it.

Thanks Jon. I’ll try a locally sourced set and report back. I have a set that I bought a while back and haven’t used. Looking at them they are opaque gray, and different to the IJM ones. I can’t see in the OEM ones as they are all still full. My R2000 was bought new but has been problematic from day one. I also had problems with a 1430 which took two printers to get a reliable one. I hope that I don’t have to resort to modifying the clean box. I have a printer potty attached so it will be easy to check on ink flow although I doubt that it is an issue as ink seems to be getting through, and this printer has seen plenty of flush.

Larry, there’s not much chance of any dried ink. This printer has seen a lot of flush, and was just restored after sitting with flush carts in.

I was thinking of ink that may have dried on the external parts of the nipple where piezoflush might not necessarily reach. However, knowing you, you probably keep them cleaned every time you switch over.

I’m still curious what the exit ports look like on your carts.

Larry

Larry,

Ask me later. I have more than enough to worry about right now. K3 is looking better by the minute.

Jeff,
I don’t mean to pester, sorry if it appears that way. I’m curious if you’ve tried OEM carts to see if you still get the blobs?

To Jon, if he’s listening…
If the aftermarket carts are aggressively vented, is it possible to seal up some of the venting on the cart to make it less aggressive? I’m paying close attention to this thread because I, too , use the R2000 which uses the same physical carts as the R2880, another popular piezography printer.

Also, are there any physical differences between your aftermarket R2880 and R2000 carts? Could the R2880 carts be designed to work better, and all we have to do is transfer an R2000 chip?

Larry

[QUOTE=LarryB;12904]Jeff,
I don’t mean to pester, sorry if it appears that way. I’m curious if you’ve tried OEM carts to see if you still get the blobs?

To Jon, if he’s listening…
If the aftermarket carts are aggressively vented, is it possible to seal up some of the venting on the cart to make it less aggressive? I’m paying close attention to this thread because I, too , use the R2000 which uses the same physical carts as the R2880, another popular piezography printer.

Also, are there any physical differences between your aftermarket R2880 and R2000 carts? Could the R2880 carts be designed to work better, and all we have to do is transfer an R2000 chip?

Larry[/QUOTE]

Because the printer is alternating between air in the print head (clogs) and blobs of ink on the paper… these signs point to the clean/flush box as the source.

The easiest solution is to buy another brand of 3rd party carts and see if it solves the problem. If it does - we retire the thread. If it does not - then look at maintenance focusing on the capping station area and below it.

Jon, I have had these issues from Day 1 with IJM carts so it can hardly be a maintenance issue. This printer swaps between flush and ink often so it’s not likely to be crud in the box. I can also see the ink running into the waste bottle. The capping station is clearing.

I am still trying with another set of carts which, currently, seem to have similar issues of blobs and bad nozzle checks but I’m not finished with them yet.

On the topic of aftermarket carts, the carts that didn’t work for me were InkOwl carts. They may be fine for their colour inks, or any colour ink sets, but I could not get complete nozzle checks with piezoflush, nor with piezography ink. They do say they only guarantee their carts with their ink. The images I posted in my thread was comparing IJM carts and InkOwl carts.

Larry

Thanks Larry, I’ll avoid them.

Thanks Larry, I’ll avoid them.