Regular printer maintenance

Now that I have an R2000 and a 1430 to care for, I just watched the maintenance video. I understand that cleaning the capping station and wiper blade should be done regularly but wonder:

1. what maintenance should I do on the left hand foam pad that also seems to get ink on it.
  2. should the under print head, cartridge points and head be cleaned each time as shown in the video.

My understanding is that head and points cleaning is only when I have a problem, not routine maintenance.

I really want to do ‘best practice’ on these printers from the start.

Hi Jeff,

We do not do much maintenance on the far pad as that gets very little waste ink deposited on it.

But yes - every six months or as needed we also clean under the print head. Any time we are doing maintenance to the capping station or wiper blade we clean under the print head. And cleaning up the points is never a bad idea. Anywhere pigment can settle and collect should be cleaned.

With dye printers this is much less an issue but even dye ink dries and printers that are not maintained with dye will eventually have issues.

Jon

Thanks Jon. That’s great. Just so I don’t come back asking questions soon, can you please clarify.

every six months or as needed we also clean under the print head

means the paper towel with flush under the head and moving it back and forwards.

and

Any time we are doing maintenance to the capping station or wiper blade we clean under the print head

means using the cleaning cart to push flush through the head.

yes cleaning under the print head with a regular Bounty paper towel is what we use. We’ve tried so many and we find Bounty regular to be the safest and most absorbent. You can see us do this in our maintenance videos.

maintenance to the capping station does not mean using the cleaning cart to push flush through the head.

Rather it means using PiezoFlush directly on the capping station (or in the case of an LF printer, also the flushing box.) We maintain those every six months.

Thanks Jon, got it.