Reading this inkseparation.psd scan

Recently I tried to print with the carbon inks on an Epson 2880 and the print was terrible. I do not have the print to show you but I printed the ink separation file which I have attached. I hope I did it correctly. Can you tell what might be wrong? The nozzle check is fine.
I did have to fill some cartridges but tried to be very careful to do it correctly.
Thanks,
Catherine Costolo

What operating system version are you using? What paper are you printing on, and what curve did you select?
Instructions for printing the Ink Separation image thru QTR Calibration Mode can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?144-Print-Ink-Separation-Image-thru-QTR-Calibration-Mode

Please let me know so I can help you sort this out and get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana, I just printed another ink separation file and got a different result which I have attached. I also tried a carbon print and the highlights are gray blobs.
I am on a Macbook Pro using Mavericks. The paper for the print was Exhibition Fiber and I used the curve for that paper.
Thanks,
Catherine Costolo

Hi Catherine~

This ink separation looks to be printed correctly, but shows your magenta/shade 4 channel isn’t printing at all, and I don’t see a noticeable difference between the shades 5 + 6 (LM and LK channels).
I recommend checking your magenta cartridge to make sure it is properly filled, contains ink, air vent hole is open. Tap the filled cart exit valve on a folded paper towel a few times to force air up and ink down, then reinstall into your printer (the printer will do an automatic cleaning cycle after reinstalling the cart), then print a nozzle check. If nozzles in the M channel aren’t all printing, do up to 3 cleaning cycles and nozzle checks to try getting it to print fully, but if it’s not good after that- let me know (and don’t continue doing cleaning cycles).

Below is an example of a printed ink separation sheet I made (on Epson Enhanced Matte paper with Piezography Neutral inks, printed with our R2880, and density measurements marked at 60/80/100%). Another example can be found on the ink separation page printing instruction page. In both of our examples, you can clearly see a difference in each ink shade. After reviewing your latest ink separation print, I have a few questions:

1. Did you print on plain typing paper, or an inkjet paper? I ask because I see what looks to be waviness in the ink strips, which can happen when printing on thin uncoated paper, and it can be slightly less obvious to see density differences in ink shades when printed on an uncoated paper.

2. After reviewing your order history, I see you’ve purchased three sets of R2880 refill carts, the most recent in July 2013. I also see you purchased the Digital Negative Meth3 Selenium ink set in July 2013, and set of Carbon K7 inks in June, along with other Piezography inks prior to that. Did you just fill carts and start using the Carbon inks for the first time, or had you previously filled/used the Carbon ink carts with good results, and recently went back to using Carbon, but have poor/different results? Did you shake ink bottles and double check the ink shade/cartridge position prior to filling/refilling carts to make sure ink is in suspension for full/correct density, and ink shades are installed in the correct order (and not mixed)?

Please let me know so I can help you past this and back to happily printing.

Dana, thanks so much for your expert help. I am back to printing with the Carbon inks on my 2880. I had printed successfully before and I knew you would be able to help.
Catherine Costolo

Thanks for the additional information Catherine.
If you were successfully printing with these Carbon carts in your R2880 in the past, then I suspect you’re either dealing with settled pigment effecting the output density, or possibly mis-filled a cartridge. How were the carts stored out of the printer? If they weren’t property sealed, then drying may be why the magenta cart isn’t printing… what carts did you have installed in this printer prior to reinstalling this set of Carbon carts? Was the magenta channel printing fine with the previous set of carts installed? If there’s a chance a cart was accidentally mis-filled, or carts have dried out after being stored out of the printer, the best solution for moving forward may be to get a new set of carts.