R3000: yellow stopped printing in Photoshop, but can print yellow with QTRip

Greetings. As the title says, my R3000 stopped printing yellow. The ink level indicator shows about 60%. I took out the cartridge, reinserted, ran 3 head cleanings over 2 hours with no change.

With QTRip I was able to print out a good, solid yellow field from the inkseparation image following directions provided by Dana in another thread. However, when I tried to print a yellow test in Photoshop, nothing. The R3000 otherwise seems to be working well. Thanks for your help.

ps. I have replaced the cartridge batteries.

FINAL VERDICT: Windows 7 printer driver problem. Links detailing how to nuke the printer driver are available on down.

Hi Bill723~

After reviewing your order history, I see you bought the set of R3000 refillable carts and ConeColor ink in Dec 2012.

What happened shortly before you noticed the yellow wasn’t printing- had the printer sat unused for a while, had you been doing a lot of printing, had the cartridge run dry, had the cartridge been recently refilled, etc…?
When you noticed the issue and removed the yellow cart, what was the physical ink level in the cartridge body and exit chamber?
How often have you been shaking the cartridges?
How often have you been using the printer vs. how long does it sit unused?
The only way to print pure ink from each channel is by printing the color specific images thru QTR Calibration Mode (instructions here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?166-Flush-individual-channel-using-QTR-Calibration-Mode). Have you printed a nozzle check to evaluate the color positions?

Please let me know, thanks~ Dana

Thanks for responding.
I use the printer lightly, though I make sure to run something every week, even if it’s only a nozzle check. It was working fine last week. I did run the equivalent of about 10 8x11 at the end of April, but it printed alright in mid-May.
I just checked the cartridge. The front chamber has ink up to near the top, while the bottom chamber is about 1/3 full (as in relative to the side of the cartridge).
I haven’t shaken the cartridge.
I did run the QTR calibration on Saturday and got a solid yellow field.
Nozzle check looks fine for all the other colors, but there’s no yellow. It’s odd that QTRip prints yellow fine. How can that be?

Can you attach a scan of your recent printed nozzle check?

sure. I can’t upload as an attachment, I get a red exclamation mark, nor can I upload it as a Mediafire-linked image. I checked to make sure the files met your size limitations. ??? so here’s the Mediafire linkhttp://www.mediafire.com/view/i3s83b9sfimxq2d/yellow.jpg.
the nozzle check is on top, then a bit of the yellow print.

I should add that while you can see a faint yellow in the nozzle check, what comes out when I print a yellow shape in Photoshop is a light grayish shape on the page.

Giving this a bump in the hope that the cavalry is coming.

I would appreciate a suggestion on this. Should I try to clean the print head?

Cleaning wouldn’t help you since it looks like your nozzle check is perfect. Since yellow also prints in QTR, a head cleaning isn’t necessary. Rather, I think there is something funky with your driver and/or Photoshop settings. I would suggest doing these in order:
1- Create a block of Yellow in MSPaint or whatever simple Mac paint program there is and print that. Does it work? If so, go to 3.
2- Uninstall the print driver and reinstall it. Be sure to restart the computer after uninstalling and after reinstalling, before testing Photoshop and QTR again.
3- Reset Photoshop’s settings, and/or uninstall and reinstall it. Did that fix the problem?

Let us know! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for responding! I tried using Paint and got the same light gray. But then I tried using another computer and yellow printed successfully. I’m baffled as to why this suddenly happened, and any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks again. The link below helped with getting rid of the old driver. I think that a recent Windows update may have led to the problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/i-want-to-removedelete-printerdriver-from-windows/6700d817-cfb7-4d94-904e-25bc8f435c7f

So, are you back up and running?

whoops, I see I left out the punch line. Yes, it’s worry-free printing once again.

I have totally experienced strange results caused by stale/corrupt print drivers, so it’s one of the first things I do (after printing a nozzle check to make sure all channels are printing, and checking my print settings/profile).
I’m glad to hear your issue is resolved and your back to happily printing (and thanks for your helpful input tjncooke!)

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

The problem has returned. I went away for 2 weeks and now yellow is printing the same grayish color when printed from this computer, but yellow is OK when printed from another. I went through driver removal as described in the article I linked above, but this time it didn’t work. Is there a more thorough way of wiping drivers? I’m using Epson R3000 driver package 14023 if that matters.

hmmm, when it happens to me, I simply delete the current printer from the printer list, then reinstall by pushing the “add printer” or “+” (Mac). YOu may also want to shut down both the computer + printer, then start them up after the driver install for a full refresh.

I hope this helps, and know how frustrating this problem can be!
Warmly~ Dana

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;8260]hmmm, when it happens to me, I simply delete the current printer from the printer list, then reinstall by pushing the “add printer” or “+” (Mac). YOu may also want to shut down both the computer + printer, then start them up after the driver install for a full refresh.

I hope this helps, and know how frustrating this problem can be!
Warmly~ Dana[/QUOTE]

Will try when I get home. Thanks again for your help, especially when this obviously has nothing to do with your fine product.

I hope it helps, best of luck finding a workflow for dealing with this annoying situation!

~Dana :slight_smile: