R3000 - MK cart not recognized after changing from battery chips to non battery chips

I have used the battery powered chips with success for a long time. Now I changed to the battery less chips on all my 9 carts. When I put the last cart in, the MK, it resulted in reading both the MK cart and the LK cart as “installed wrong” or not recognized. So I put the battery chip back on the MK cart, and now all carts are recognized - meaning I have 8 carts with battery less chips and one cart - the MK cart, with a battery chip. IJM sent me a new cart, which featured the new chip. I exchanged it, and same thing happened. I put in an old EPSON MK cart, one that was partially used - same thing again: LK and MK not recognized. After a lot of wiggling it became apparent that there was a problem. Not sure if it is the LK cart or the MK car that is giving me the grief. Has anyone else experienced this?

btw, I did just do an update of drivers and firmware … no change

I’m guessing this is the LK cart.

This is a new one on me for this printer. Generally these chips work quite well indeed.

I’ll touch base on this tomorrow.

best,
Walker

[QUOTE=walkerblackwell;12459]I’m guessing this is the LK cart.

This is a new one on me for this printer. Generally these chips work quite well indeed.

I’ll touch base on this tomorrow.

best,
Walker[/QUOTE]

i am not sure about this, since I used both the original new chip, and the new cart with a chip in the MK position … even changed the chip from the new cart to the old cart. I did install the new chips from left to right, so starting with the yellow cart.Out of curiosity I changed the chip on the new cart i received to the battery operated old chit. Though the cart was empty, the printer read all the carts, even the empty one, as full. M ind you, I reset the chip when I filled the cart, so it should read full. Anyway, we shall see where this leads us …

No chips (OEM or non-OEM) have ink level sensors in them. These chips operate by the printer sending small voltages to the chip during the printing process and thus “running down” the level of the chip until it automatically resets.

When an ARC (auto-reset) chip re-sets, you take the cart out and top it off and place the cart back in. The only way to reset a chip is to print until it resets. Taking the cart out and putting it back in will not reset it. Nor will it magically read the ink-level in the cartridge.

-best,
Walker

Thanks Walker, but that was not the issue here. The issue is, and remains, the fact that MK and LK are not recognized when I insert the new chipped cart. Wells sent me a new MK cart, so now I have two new MK chips, one new MK cart, and the only one that works is the old cart with the old - battery operated - chip on it. This is where I need to get help.

You thought it may be the LK cart/chip combination that may be the origin of this debacle? Is there something I can try to verify your suspicion? Or would replacing the LK chip with a new one solve the problem, in which case I would have to ask Wells for a spare. But again, let me know what your thoughts are.

As you have 2 MK ARC chips and 1 MK resetter chip, I’m going to hazard a guess it’s the LK.

These chips can play funky w/ each other if one is out down the line. We are sending you an LK. That said, if your MK resetter chip is working that is desirable in this circumstance. I suggest keeping the batteries from your other manual chips available for the MK.

best,
Walker

[QUOTE=walkerblackwell;12473]As you have 2 MK ARC chips and 1 MK resetter chip, I’m going to hazard a guess it’s the LK.

These chips can play funky w/ each other if one is out down the line. We are sending you an LK. That said, if your MK resetter chip is working that is desirable in this circumstance. I suggest keeping the batteries from your other manual chips available for the MK.

best,
Walker[/QUOTE]

Thanks much; yes, I have kept all the chips just in case. Hope this will solve the problem. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Matt

The LK chip arrived today. I exchanged it on the cart. Now both carts read not existing. So I exchanged the MK with the new chip (it still had the battery operated chip in it), and voila, problem solved. Thanks a bunch for your patience and your help.

Matt

Glad it’s working. Sorry for the delay,

best in 2017,
W