R3000, MK black not working, air lock, quadtone rip, PZ flush, oh my - questions

So sorry for the post, but I have read all the posts on similar topics and I am just trying to get clarification on whether my attempts are expected or there is something else going on. I am new to the forum, but have quite a bit of R3000 printing and clog clearing experience… but this issue has me baffled for a year now.

I have 2 R3000 printers and my plan was to use one for PK and one for MK so switching black channels is not needed. I have loaded PZ flush in the alternate black channel in each printer just to have something loaded.

The PK ink printer was a throw away from a colleague in my photo club. I disassembled the ink system and replaced the bad black damper with ebay parts and got that printer working 100%… now MY original R3000 (that I started to have set up for MK ink) started to have this issue. I have waste ink bottles installed on both printers.

After all the research on this forum, I believe I have an air lock issue in my MK ink printer. All my channels look good except for MK Black which prints NOTHING in a nozzle check… all other channels look OK (LLK is missing a few, but I can deal with that with time). I also am NOT getting black blobs of ink on the paper on or around a PK - MK or MK - PK switch, so I THINK my damper is ok.

I have installed a purge cartridge (normal size ? 24 ? ml) full of PZ flush in the MK channel.

I have downloaded the QTR and and the calibration TIFF file for K and I send the print thru and I get NOTHING printed. What disturbs me the most is that the MK purge cartridge seems to empty out after a single attempt. I have no idea where all of this liquid is going so I thought I would ask here if anyone might know what is going on. I have looked for leaks and see none.

IF I were continue with this one channel purge, and the cartridge keeps draining out, then the air in the system will continue to be an issue. Do I dare refill this purge cartridge for each attempt? How much PZ flush can a printer take without printing anything and where is this liquid going?

At this point, it is becoming an expensive prospect to keep trying anything without having an understanding of whether I am making progress or not. I appreciate any insights.

IF the MK cart is emptying you have a leak in the damper causing full ink-to-waste-pad flow. It’s the ink supply (damper leak) not a damper lock sadly. Damper leaks don’t always spill outside of the intended flow path.

regards
Walker

Hello Walker,
Thanks so much for your reply… while waiting for the post to be approved, I definitely spotted a leak in the system. I plan to disassemble to replace the MK/PK damper when I get the chance.