R3000: IJM chips auto reset?

After flushing the OEM inks with flush fluid, and then displacing the flush fluid with K7 inks in my new R3000, I was ready for an extended printing session. I first shut off the printer and visually checked the ink level in each of the carts to see if any needed topping up. Only one needed additional ink, which I vacuum refilled.

When I turned the printer on, the printer screen showed all carts full (they were not). The Epson status monitor software also showed full carts. Evidently, the carts reset themselves without any shorting of the two metal contact pads on the chip. Obviously, this could lead to a cart running dry while the status monitor is showing it to be, say, half full. I can take precautions that will prevent this from happening, but still…

Any comment, Dana?

Harry

Yes, the carts do auto-reset sometimes. We discussed this before in this post.

http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?155-solved-R3000-refillable-cartridges-auto-reset!

It could be related to the chip battery getting weaker. I’m going to replace all my Cone cartridge chips with new batteries shortly and see if that is the cause.

The way I refill is if one color needs refilling I pull all the cartridges and top them all off and manually reset the chips by shorting the contacts. That way I never get to were the ink level is misread and the possibility of running dry and intrducing air in the feed lines.

[QUOTE=FussyBob;2533]Yes, the carts do auto-reset sometimes. We discussed this before in this post.

http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?155-solved-R3000-refillable-cartridges-auto-reset!

It could be related to the chip battery getting weaker. I’m going to replace all my Cone cartridge chips with new batteries shortly and see if that is the cause.

The way I refill is if one color needs refilling I pull all the cartridges and top them all off and manually reset the chips by shorting the contacts. That way I never get to were the ink level is misread and the possibility of running dry and intrducing air in the feed lines.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly what I intend doing. I might add that my carts arrived from IJM only a few weeks ago; I hope I don’t need batteries so soon.

Harry

Hi Harry and Bob~

We have received a few reports recently of some R3000 refill cartridge chips auto resetting, and have done some testing with our printer and several carts/chips/batteries, as well as discussed the situation with the cartridge manufacturer. We don’t have a positive explanation, but believe it’s related to older batteries, and are continuing testing in hopes to figure out why this happens occasionally.

Please keep me posted with your experiences, and let me know if you have questions or there’s anything I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: