R3000 Cannot Recognize LK Cartridge

Earlier this year, just my Y cartridge was running low. I purchased a set of refillable cartridges and ink. At that time I just replaced the Y cartridge.

Fast forward to today and all the other cartridges are running low so I decide to replace the other seven cartridges (I don’t use gloss black (PK) so the original cartridge is still full; I decided not to change it). All went well and was recognized except the LK cartridge. I get the message “Cannot recognize the following cartridge(s). Try reinstalling them again.” with a red circle/black X thru the LK cartridge.

When I put the original cartridge back in, it’s recognized.

Any idea what’s wrong?

Thanks,
Leon

[QUOTE=Leond;2582]Earlier this year, just my Y cartridge was running low. I purchased a set of refillable cartridges and ink. At that time I just replaced the Y cartridge.

Fast forward to today and all the other cartridges are running low so I decide to replace the other seven cartridges (I don’t use gloss black (PK) so the original cartridge is still full; I decided not to change it). All went well and was recognized except the LK cartridge. I get the message “Cannot recognize the following cartridge(s). Try reinstalling them again.” with a red circle/black X thru the LK cartridge.

When I put the original cartridge back in, it’s recognized.

Any idea what’s wrong?

Thanks,
Leon[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe I do. The cartridges were actually purchased in April of 2012. So the batteries in these cartridges are expiring. They are always “on” checking the chip to see the percentage full reading. So, I anticipate that they should all be replaced so that you do not have errors or premature resetting.

We published an article on how to do this on our blog which you can view here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/category/maintenance/

Look for the article on R3000 and 4900 cartridges. Both of these models use inexpensive small batteries which you can buy at a drug store. While easy to replace, we also sell the entire chip/battery assembly on InkjetMall and try to keep these no more than six months old: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.84880/.f

That makes sense. I didn’t realize the cartridges were that old.

So I took the battery out of the PK cartridge (which I don’t use) and put it in the LK cartridge. The printer recognizes the cartridge!

Awesome, awesome, awesome! I’m thinking I probably should replace all the batteries soon but I’m up and running for now.

Thanks for the help.

This is what I needed to read! I have the same issue with my cyan cart… formerly it was recognized, but I’ve not printed in several months and once I got the printer back into working order yesterday, it wouldn’t recognize the cart. I assume the other carts are probably not too far from dead, so I’ll pick up a 10-pack of 377’s tonight!

Yes, I suspect new batteries will do the trick, as I see your carts were purchased over a year ago.

Please keep me posted, and let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: