R1800 users: have you successfully used the Adjustment Program?

I have an R1800 which prints well, but won’t print on CD/DVD’s. It ejects the tray after taking it in. I’m suspecting trouble with a sensor mounted in the carriage. I bought an Adjustment Program for this printer from 2Manuals.com, but can’t get the program to “see” the printer. I have tried two computers so far: a MacBook Pro running Windows 7 via Parallels 9 and Mac OS 10.9, and an older Dell laptop, also running W7. Both report a communication error, so I can’t even attempt to test the sensors.

Are there users here who have used an Adjustment Program with these printers? 2Manuals.com claims that “it works,” but I wonder. They have not been able to help me at all. I have purchased and used successfully a more recent Adjustment Program with the Mac/Parallels configuration to work on an Epson 4900.

If anyone can cast light on this, I’d be grateful.

Did you install the latest Epson Windows drivers for this printer? Can you see it with the Epson utility that downloads with their driver? I would first connect to it using the usual Epson software from the Epson support site. Make sure you can see it with Status Monitor and make a print. Then connect the service software. Did you try that already?

When trying to use the Mac and Parallels, I obtained a Windows driver, and could print an image from Windows. And, as you’d expect, the utility also worked. But the Adjustment Program could not see the printer at all. I haven’t given up on using the Dell, but have not been able to work with it for a few days. Someone with more Windows experience than I has been helping me, but I’m at the mercy of his schedule. I made sure to get the latest driver for Windows, direct from Epson. At last check, we hadn’t yet gotten the Dell and printer to play together even as well as the Mac did with Parallels, but I expect that we will.

I’m wondering whether the problem may lie with using Windows 7. I’ll be checking on whether we’ll have to use an earlier version of Windows, or “compatibility mode,” whatever that is. When trying to get help from 2Manuals, I said that I was using W-7, and heard no claim that it wouldn’t work. I will report on how this problem gets solved…or not.

Thanks,
J

I have never used the R1800 AP, but had a lot of troubles last time I tried the 1400 AP- and 2manuals wasn’t able to help me get it working (with Win XP). I have used APs for other printers successfully (from the same computer), so I’m not sure why that one kept having problems, and I wonder if some are more “compatible” than others? 2manuals told me to change the date on my computer to sometime in 2007 I believe, then run the program, but it wouldn’t connect to the printer, then when I quit, the program would disappear from the folder, and I would have to reinstall it… frustrating.

Please keep us posted if you learn anything, or are able to get it working. The tools in the AP are very helpful, but sometimes getting the AP to even work can be a project…

Best of luck~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;3002]I have never used the R1800 AP, but had a lot of troubles last time I tried the 1400 AP- and 2manuals wasn’t able to help me get it working (with Win XP). I have used APs for other printers successfully (from the same computer), so I’m not sure why that one kept having problems, and I wonder if some are more “compatible” than others? 2manuals told me to change the date on my computer to sometime in 2007 I believe, then run the program, but it wouldn’t connect to the printer, then when I quit, the program would disappear from the folder, and I would have to reinstall it… frustrating.

Please keep us posted if you learn anything, or are able to get it working. The tools in the AP are very helpful, but sometimes getting the AP to even work can be a project…

Best of luck~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Dana, thanks—I’m reassured to know that these problems are not just mine. I will post any changes in this situation.

On a related note, I care for two 3800’s and a 4900 at work (with which Inkjet Mall has been very helpful before) and just ordered a set of empty carts to use with Piezo-flush for the 3800’s. I expect to need an Adjustment Program for the 3800’s—have you used that one successfully? As mentioned in this thread, I have had good luck with the AP for the 4900, thought I’ve only used it for initial fill so far.

I haven’t needed to use the 3800 or 3880 AP yet, but when I flush those printers I just do 2-3 power clean cycles (with a minute or two between cycles to avoid straining the print head and ink system), then print a nozzle check to make sure all channels are fully printing pink PiezoFlush. I have successfully used the R2400, R2880, R1900, R3000, 7900 and 4900 APs.

~Dana :slight_smile:

Terrific—maybe I won’t need the AP. We have never replaced any head or ink parts on the 3800, however, and I assume that doing so would require the AP after doing that work. Perhaps a thorough soak and clean with the Piezo-flush will be enough to clean up a resistant clog and stop channel contamination.

The answer to this is so simple—and I feel so dumb—that maybe somebody else can benefit from my embarrassment. Lesson: Read the small print. The 2Manuals.com page for this AP does say that it has to run in “compatibility mode,” something that, as a Mac user, I had no experience with. So I ignored it. The IT person helping me finally saw those instructions and had me change the setting for the AP so that Windows would sort of “pretend” to be Windows XP, service pack 3. Now the A.P. sees the printer, and I can move on. Thanks to IJM/Dana for trying to help anyway!