Question about Mac OS upgrade

Jon and Dana:

I am currently running Mac OS 10.6.8, using P2 on an Epson 7880, and print from QTR print tool. I am considering a system upgrade to Mac 10.9.5, primarily to be able to use Lightroom 5.6. Is this a safe upgrade that will allow me to maintain all my current settings for Piezography, QRR, and also Photoshop CS 4. I am concerned that I not confuse or disable or ruin a workflow that is successfully producing excellent prints. And, looking forward to the development of the K11 system.
Thanks

John

IMPORTANT:

Once you upgrade from Mac OS X 10.6.8, you will no longer be able to print from Photoshop. You must use Print Tool.

First of all, we never recommend that you install upgrades without first installing to a partition (so you can revert). Since Mac OS X 10.5, Apple has been experimenting with “silent” color management taking place behind applications and converting images prior to allowing them to be printed (even if the application itself is using its own color management system).

Upgrade to a partition and then test your color printing ICC workflows and any critical applications that make use of color management in some way. If all is well - then install your upgrade to your main partition. That way you first stage the upgrade in case it breaks something.

We have not tested 10.9.5 yet ourselves. We will have a 10.9.5 machine here in about a week. But, according to QuadTone RIP versions 2.7.5 and Print Tool version 1.1.0 are both necessary to use Mavericks (10.9)

NOTE:

We prefer printing from Photoshop - so all of the print servers at Cone Editions Press operate on Mac OS X 10.4.7 which is the last operating system from Apple in which they allowed users to color manage exactly the way they want to. We have the most control with this OS. You can always buy an old used Mac with OS X 10.4.7 or 10.6.8 on eBay for $150 or much less - and use it as a print server. Then do what ever you want to with your main imaging station without hurting anything Piezography. Apple can break things quickly…

Thanks for the reply…we are almost ready with a useable partition, and then will test the OS 10.9.5 system with all existing applications and ICC profiles (color profiles are all done with the HP Z 3200)…just wondering about the recommendation to print using Photoshop from OS 10.4.7…am I really losing anything by using the QTR Print t Tool…so far results have been excellent, but I am not comparing to prints from your workflow recommendation…

John

You do not lose anything in using QTR.
I’m just saying that in using 10.4.7 there is a lot of convenience in being able to print directly to QTR from Photoshop or any other Mac application - by just hitting Print from the File menu. So we prefer to have that ease in the studio…doing one off prints…just very easy workflow.

Jon

Jon and Dana:

Just wondering if you moved to OS 10.9.5, perhaps for the new Epson 9900s…and if there were any problems…

We have not tested 10.9.5 yet ourselves. We will have a 10.9.5 machine here in about a week. But, according to QuadTone RIP versions 2.7.5 and Print Tool version 1.1.0 are both necessary to use Mavericks (10.9)

John

I’m as far as 10.9.4 and all is ok thus far.

I am not a big fan of upgrading tools used for printing in order to gain more convenience with syncing my iPhone to my iCalendar…
Today I was looking at $300 computers at Best Buy running windows and thinking what cheap print servers those will make. The guy there said they will be $199 on Black Friday… just saying… Get it, set it, then leave it the h*** alone! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=john;5416]Jon and Dana:

Just wondering if you moved to OS 10.9.5, perhaps for the new Epson 9900s…and if there were any problems…

John[/QUOTE]

Jon:
My reason to upgrade initially was to use Lightroom 5. And, I am anticipating the availability of your new product the Pro3 as described in View Camera Magazine (Nov.Dec. 2011) to use with my Epson 4900 (or purchase 7900 if the price gets right again). Everything is working with Mac OS X 10.6.8 now with my own Carbon enhanced blend of SE P2 on my Epson 7880. My wife, who is the only digitally literate person in the household, recommends careful upgrades to maintain safety, security, and support, but only when there is not a negative downside or inscrutable frustrating problems. I intend to continue to use Leica S2 and Monochrom raw captures to Lightroom, converted to DNGs, briefly CS 4, several plugins, saved, and QTR Print Tool. Perhaps I will screw up the courage and upgrade to Mac 10.9.4.

John

The Pro3 system (by probably a different name) will be out in time for Christmas. This is the system with multi quad inks installed and unlimited blending and split toning. At some point however, QTR is simply used for printing. It is a very basic and simple function that has nothing to do with Photoshop and Lightroom. Photoshop and Lightroom upgrades are dependent upon OS upgrades. However, OS upgrades never take into account simple things like printing… So many people decide to use inexpensive print servers (a mini-mac, a notebook, a garage sale PC, a purpose built bad a!$ machine) - and these are never upgraded unless some dire need to in order to keep printing (almost never happens). And in this way they have the best of both worlds. Print stability and the latest greatest OS features. Best Buy will knock out $200 PCs during Black Friday. Nearly less than the cost of the Windows installed on them. I am not a fan of Windows 8 - and prefer 7 - but this is a very low cost print server solution. I previewed some of them yesterday and a few are all in ones which look like iMacs - just a display with the PC built in… for serving up files to the printer they can be ideal. But I won’t nag at you to do it. Partly just informing with pertinent information…