Qtr profiles

Can someone clarify for me. Is there a list of profiles included in QTR?

And for basic gloss / Bartry papers like: Canson, Hanemule, TYype 5. If these profiles (for the Cone ink sets) are not in QTR that I download, do I need to purchase these as custom, or since they may be created, are they available?

Last question: As I’m just learning that soft proof profiles are not the same as printin profiles - I suppose it’s easy enough to distinguish between the two when working on PS?

regards,

Ralph

Ralph,

Did you read the NEW Piezography Manual page 18? about Glossy Piezography?

The Piezography workflow is NOT compatible with QTR Workflow - so do NOT read the QTR manual. Read the NEW Piezography Manual on how to use QTR. Also you will find out how to get the glossy curves. And you will find our answers to these other questions as well.

You can not get the results you should without reading the manual and following our workflow!

You can get to the manual on this site under the Articles tab (product manuals) or going to the Piezography website under Technical Documents.

best regards,

Jon

Thanks. The manuel and instructions pages are all I needed! Myself and a proessor of photography at a major NYC learning instittion are learning GO process. I’m considering a 7880 for the MPS process. I assume 7880s will be supported by your inks for some time to come? Raphael

Excellent, the Piezography manual will give you tons of helpful information to help you get the most from your Piezography setup. Yes, the 7880/9880 are great printers, and we plan to support them for as long as possible (and are bummed that Epson discontinued them).

Happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

I have another question related to profile, this time for a 3880. I have great success printing with the glossy profiles I downloaded but I seem to get very different looking results on matte paper. Are there profiles other than the ones in QTR that are better for printing on matte. Specifically I only currently have Hahnemuhle photo rag smooth paper. If I print either special edition or selenium the results seem to lack contrast and perhaps not the Dmax I anticipated as compared to printing the same files on 3880s using Hahn photo rag or photo rag bright white at the workshop I attended in Santa Fe. Any suggestions?

thanks
Kyle

There is a big difference in dMax and contrast printing on matte/rag or gloss/semi-gloss papers, though both should be linear from black to white.

Here are a few 3800/3880 Special Edition specific curves that I have made for other customers, you can try these to see if you get more satisfactory results, but if you still think there’s an issue with your output, please let me knwo and I will send you information to mail me a print for evaluation.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

3800-SpecEd-HANphotoRag.quad.zip (2.77 KB)
3800-SpecEd-HANphotoRagBW.quad.zip (2.78 KB)

Thanks, Dana. It occurred to me that perhaps the curves that we used in Santa Fe were different than the curves from the QTR download. The prints I did in Santa Fe were far better looking than what I have been getting for matte paper, particularly with Selenium ink. The gloss prints are far better match to the prints I did in Santa Fe. I do understand there is a difference in Dmax for gloss vs matte. That is not the difference I am referring to.

I reprinted the SPED image using the curve in your link and there is the slightest difference on photo rag compared to what I printed using the curve in QTR… The SPED images were not nearly as far off as the selenium prints. Again, the gloss selenium ink image looks very much like the gloss image I printed at the workshop but the matte selenium ink image does not compare well to the matte image I printed at the workshop. Of course I can adjust the file to get a print that compares well but I would think that the file I used at the workshop should pretty well match what I am getting without having to do adjustments to the file. Any way to look at what was loaded on the workshop computers vs. what I have from downloading QTR? I would prefer not having to save separate files dependent upon which ink/paper I am using. Or am I just misguided in my thinking?

cheers
Kyle

Hi Kyle~

I asked Jon, and he explained for convenience all the workshop printers were set up for “P2” and used “P2” curves for matte/rag printing. “P2” is Piezography 2, which if you are not familiar, uses shades 2-6 with both matte and glossy blacks and Gloss Overprint, to be able to print matte and gloss with one printer. You can use “P2” matte and rag curves, even if your printer is set up with regular K7 ink shade placement, but “P2” gloss curves can only be used with the “P2” ink setup (which you don’t need with a printer such as the 3800/3880, that has enough channels to install both blacks, shades 2-7, and GO).

Here are the P2-SEL curves that you used in SantaFe. Please let me know if you have questions, how things look, or if there’s anything else I can help you with.

P2-SEL-MATTE.zip (13.1 KB)

Dana, thanks for your time looking into things. I loaded the curves you linked and now the matte print looks like the prints I did at the workshop. The tonal values in the SPED and the Sel are very nice in comparison as well. Issue is resolved.

This all leaves me a little concerned about what other papers will look like but we can fold that origami when we come to it.

Again thanks to you and Jon.
Kyle

Thanks for the update. I’m glad to hear your matte output looks like what you printed at the workshop. Please let me know if you have further questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.