Putting Piezography Inks in a new 3880 printer

I have just received a replacement 3880 printer and would like to put piezography inks in it. Can I do this with the initial fill?

IMHO, I would opt to install the piezography inks on initial fill rather than fill with the Epson oem inks and have to flush them out. I know that this may not be the normal advice given on install, the reason given is being to be able to check that the printer is functioning normally before going through the conversion process. But I think it’s a pretty safe bet that a new printer is working and not DOA. Moreover, this avoids having to flush out the lines of “color” with your chosen inkset (wasted ink) and also avoids potential problems with tainted B&W images (primarily from yellow) and having to undergo numerous power cleans. If by chance you happen to receive a new printer that is DOA, then you can use the included Epson OEM inks to flush out the piezography inks while waiting for repair or return. No wasted ink from flushing and no potential color taint issue calling for more power cleans (more ink waste).

ken

I agree with Ken above. If new, fill it with the Piezo ink and run with it. My first try of the B&W inks used up $500 worth of Piezo ink before it began to act correctly, especially the yellow and the clear gloss optimizer that had tints to them that seemed to last forever with white contamination. $500 seems a lot just to flush it out and the need to fill it again. Prints in the interim before it began to operate correctly and lines were cleaned out were pretty dismal.

You can always go back to the color ones if the printer is defective. Probably won’t be required to return with ink in it anyway.

Good luck.

Mack

Thanks for your input Ken and Mack.

I agree that setting up a new printer with Piezography inks is a good way to avoid color staining and wasting Piezography inks to purge color staining, and generally new printers work well.
BUT, if there’s a problem, the printer is an additional factor when troubleshooting the issue, though wouldn’t be a factor if it was known to be working well with OEM inks/carts. Occasionally a new printer is DOA, or doesn’t work as it should somehow, and if third party inks/carts are installed first, it’s not as easy to troubleshoot the issue, then if OEM inks are installed to test the printer, some may argue the carts/inks could have caused the issue. So, we recommend testing a printer with OEM inks before installing any third party ink/cart, to have a solid starting base. We provide helpful information based on our experience, but certainly the choice is yours.

I hope this helps clarify why we recommend testing a printer with OEM inks.
Please let me know if you have further questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana