Problems with Epson 4900

Hi,

I purchased a used Epson 4900 from another screenprinter earlier this year.

I recently purchased an complete set of refillable cartridges and a gallon of UV45 Silkscreen ink from your company. At first, I only installed a few of your cartridges to replace empty or unrecognized cartridges. I had no issues with any of the initial cartridges I installed.

Yesterday I decided to replace all the remaining cartridges with your cartridges. I ran into two issues.

First one is my fault. I was installing the MK cartridge and a plastic piece broke off. I may not had it aligned properly and/or pushed too hard. A small piece of the plastic tab that seems to be for aligning the cartridge properly broke off. Can I buy the plastic tab from you?

The second issue is the LK cartridge is not working. Prior to replacing the remaining cartridges yesterday all heads printed fine on the nozzle check pattern. After installation All heads printed fine except LK. LK is totally blank. I did a manual cleaning and repeated machine cleanings. It is still totally blank. I read in the form that air can get in the head if ink is completely run dry before installing a new cartridge. That was not the case. There was till some ink in the cartridge I replaced. I also read that your Piezo flush may fix the problem. Please let me know what you think the problem may be.

If I need the Piezo flush system do I need to order the fluid and a cartridge or can I use the cartridge I have? The cartridge I have is already filled with UV45 ink. Do I need to remove the ink and replace it with the flush?

Thanks for your help.

John

You can remove the tab and keep using the cart. It’s only there so you don’t accidentally put the cartridge in a different channel.

The LK line is a different matter. This printer is fragile and susceptible to full damper block and/or de-lamination when a power cleaning is done. Did you do this on the LK channel/pair?

btw: I’ve seen this happen on over 10 printers with OEM ink + power cleanings in the past before I worked here. It’s due to a failing peristaltic vacuum motor in the cleaning assembly.

best,
Walker

Yes, I did a power cleaning on the LK pair.

What we’re going to do is send you a replacement LK cartridge (just in case it’s the cartridge outlet that is at issue). There is a chance that it will come back. But that chance is slim because most of the time it’s deeper in the printer itself that the fault arises. As this is an All-Black setup, it shouldn’t be too bad to have that single channel out. You have 9 others to print with.

-Walker

Thank you Walker.

Is it possible to remove the ink from the old cartridge?

John Goodhue

Vermont Green Printing

802-888-9600

Yes. Simply pour it out of the fill hole over a funnel into the bottle/new-cart

best,
Walker

Thanks.

John Goodhue

Vermont Green Printing

802-888-9600