Prints too dark

not so certain if I understand - and I am trying to follow - and maybe I do not understand everything - so some questions:

1. are you saying that you have been printing with the system producing this same type of output (judging by step wedge) since 2013?

2. what was with the light cyan ink in the shade 2 position? Is that from the original installation of cyan ink from 2013?

3. is it the case that this printer been sitting mostly unused for a year and one half since you first installed?

depending upon these answers i may have some other suggestion.

replaced inks did couple power cleaning printed step wedge still get same results

yes this system has produced same output since beginning. when got the new printers 2 9890,one was setup to print color the other was tested with color inks that came with it. after it checked out ok put in k7 inks and did 2-3 power cleaning. why cyan needed more cleaning to remove ??? that problem was solved with cleaning but as in the beginning the density problem continues.

You must do an Initial Fill Cycle when installing Piezography inks in a 7890/9890 printer model, a few Power Clean cycles isn’t enough to move ink from carts to the print head. For instructions on how to do an Initial Fill Cycle, please go here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?151-Initial-Fill-Procedures-for-Epson-Pro-Model-Printers

If you have just emptied the ink carts and refilled with all with fresh ink (did you shake all ink bottles before filling cartridges?), then I recommend you do an Initial Fill cycle to get the fresh ink from carts to the print head, then print a nozzle check to make sure all positions are fully printing, then print a test image.

Are you evaluating and measuring prints after printing the GO layer, or before? It looks like the images you attached do not have GO.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how things go, if you have further questions or there’s anything else we can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

ok will do a initial fill cycle. shook the ink bottles very good before filling cartridges and shook cartridges after filling them. have measured prints with and without go but will do as you recommended and than make measurements after printing go.

Ok, please let me know how your results look after doing the Initial Fill. It’s best to evaluate glossy prints after printing the GO layer.

I’ll await your update.
Thanks~ Dana :slight_smile:

thanks for the reply Dana
ran initial fill,reprinted 21 step wedge,printed go layer on it. the numbers changed but still have big jump at third step. my measurements are- 98.02,91.97,84.75,78.08,72.70,67.94,62.31,58.17,54.68,50.71,46.22,42.04,37.24,33.91,29.66,24.82,19.74,16.17,10.92,7.20,4.06. i wonder if the software has a problem. thanks will

dana and jon
thanks for all the advice thus far please let me know how to figure out and fix this problem. thanks

Thanks for the update Will.

I plotted your recent measurements, and attached the resulting linearization check, which shows your output is still a bit too dark, mainly in the 1/4 highlights and mid-tones. It’s much less dark than your previous linearizations, and the extreme light reversal in the shadow area is now corrected.

You may benefit from getting a custom curve made for your specific setup, and I think it would be worth trying one custom curve to see how your results look, before doing more.
Unfortunately, your screen captures were emailed directly, and not attached here, so I can’t review. Are you using QTR Print Tool version 1.1.0?
Have you shut down both the computer and printer? Have you deleted your print driver, and done a fresh install (both Epson and QTR drivers)?

Please download the custom curve package from our website, and follow the instructions to print a target, then pack/ship to me. I will measure the target and send your custom curve to try when it’s ready.
We’re closed for holiday vacation this week, and will be back in the office next week.

Best regards~ Dana

thanks Dana
yes I’m using the latest print tool. i got it and the latest QTR from Roy. also redid epson drivers. did shut down both. i’ll get the target, print it and send it to you. thanks so much. Happy New Year! will

Ok, I’ll be expecting your target in the mail, and will email your custom curve as soon as it’s ready.

Best regards and happy New Year~ Dana :slight_smile:

hi Dana
did you get the target? thanks will

Hi Will, your target arrived yesterday, but I’m off on Wednesdays, so didn’t get it till this morning. It looks great, but when I try to measure it, our measuring device kept kicking it out with an error, then I checked and noticed it was printed a little too big. The target must be printed at 100% scale to be accepted by our measuring device. Please reprint the target, making sure the scale is 100% to avoid reducing or enlarging the size, then use all the same settings you used to print this one (including printing the GO layer), and send me the new target to measure. I will email your custom curve to try as soon as it’s ready.

Warmly~ Dana

Dana hope you had a good weekend did you get the new target? will

Hi Will~

Yes, your new target arrived late last week and I have been struggling to make your custom curve… there are a LOT of reversal measurements, which in my experience produces a poor quality curve. I found it very strange that the new target is overall much darker than the first target you sent, though based on how you labeled the targets, the same printer/ink/paper/settings were used with both (the first was just a touch too big), and they were received about a week apart. Compared to other known good targets on Type 5 paper, your first target was correct density, and the new one is too dark.
The print area is also grainy looking, which in my experience may be due to improper alignment.

After reviewing your order history, I see you first purchased Piezography Warm-Neutral inks in early 2013, and earlier in this thread you said your output has been the same since the beginning, though my records show you first contacted us in Dec 2014 saying your prints are darker than your monitor. I quickly re-read this thread to refresh my memory of the details, and see you emptied your carts and refilled them with fresh ink from unopened bottles you had from 2013, then did an initial fill cycle. What are the lot#s of the ink you refilled your carts with last month? I see you have an Eye1 measuring device. Do you have Epson Enhanced Matte or Hahnemuhle Photo Rag papers? If so, please print an Ink Separation image thru QTR calibration mode, and measure the 60% patches after drying the print, then let me know what density measurements you get for each ink shade, so I can compare to measurements I have to evaluate your individual inks. What is the temperature and humidity in your print environment?

Please let me know, thanks~ Dana

Dana
the temp is 65 and humidity 46. inks 1 1000809 3/20/15,2 980417 3/20/14,3 980417 3/20/15, 4 980416 3/20/15,5 980416 3/20/15, 6 980415 3/20/15, 7 980415 3/20/14 these where bought as a set why are the 2and 7 out of date? have hahnemuhle photo rag will print ink sep and measure will

dana
checked the other 700 ml bottles bought and the 2 and 7 are also out of date

Hi Will~

I checked thru our studio ink supply, and see I’m using the exact same lot# inks in our Warm-Neutral 7880 printer, which has been working well for several years, and producing consistent results… I have noticed it seems inks settle faster in our 4900 than any of our 7880/9880 printers, and that makes me wonder if the inks could possibly be settling faster in the newer printer models (though, don’t know how that could happen?!)
Do you have a densitometer measuring device, so we can check your individual ink densities?

Hi Will~

I’m checking in to see how everything is going, since I haven’t heard back from my last post a few weeks ago.