Prints come out wet brand new artisan 1430

I had an old Artisan 1430, and the prints started coming out totally wet, so I changed all the cartridges, but no luck, so I bought a new one and at first put in the cartridges I bought, and it printed for a bit just fine, but then started giving totally wet prints, so I put in all the new cartridges that came with it. Still sopping wet. Any ideas?

What are you printing on? What inks are you using? Are you using IJM profiles? QTR? Epson driver?

I was printing on Epson 4 x 6 paper, with Adobe RGB profiles, And I never looked at what driver, but it had worked for at least a couple of years just fine before it started producing wet prints. The really weird thing is, that I got a brand new printer, with brand new inks, and at first it printed fine, and then, after having changed nothing, it started printing wet again.
At this point, I am asking only out of curiosity, and I thank you for your response, because I’d love to know what it was, but I’m going to change to a different kind of printer.

It’s really hard, if not impossible, to offer meaningful help if we don’t know exactly what you are doing, the materials you are using, the software you are using, etc. Abobe RGB is not a printing profile. The size of the paper doesn’t tell us anything useful. Is it glossy, matte, luster, etc. What are the setting you use when you print? I mean all of them. Screenshots would be helpful. From your statement “I never looked at what driver” it seems that you are not really paying attention to what you are doing. I think that might be the root of your troubles right there.
I’m not trying to be rude, but you aren’t giving us anything to work with. I don’t even know what inks you are using.

Dear Dan. What driver are you using? Epson or QuadtoneRIP?

best,
Walker

Thanks for answering, and no, I don’t think you’re trying to be rude. It’s quite true that I don’t pay much attention; I was baffled that this could happen, because I changed nothing in settings which I’ve been using for years.
Since the second 1430, which also printed fine at first for maybe a dozen prints, before doing the same thing, was a brand-new printer, I returned it.

There is now an additional mystery, which I will explain in a minute, and am including screen shots.

Some background: To begin, I use 4x6 glossy photo paper to print test images for a type of imaging I do (www.DanKainen.com/buyviewer.htm.) I’ve printed hundreds of these images, typically resampled to the printer’s native resolution, in this case, 720 or 1440.

The second mystery: Because I had returned the Epson, I used my wife’s office, all-in-one printer, the HP Envy 5660, to print the glossy 4x6 photo paper, and that’s been working fine for weeks, until today, when I reprinted exactly the same image Iast did, same settings, and the same, sopping wet print came out!

OK, the screen shots for the Epson and HP: Printer Settings — Motionpicturecard.com

I hope we can shed some light on all this. It’s a mystery to me that a printer could produce non-drying prints, rather than just badly printed ones, just from its settings, but that seems to be the case. I do appreciate your help very much, thanks.

Thanks so much for answering.

I was baffled that this could happen, because I changed nothing in settings which I’ve been using for years.
Since the second 1430, which also printed fine at first for maybe a dozen prints, before doing the same thing, was a brand-new printer, I returned it.

There is now an additional mystery, which I will explain in a minute, and am including screen shots.

Some background: To begin, I use 4x6 glossy photo paper to print test images for a type of imaging I do (www.DanKainen.com/buyviewer.htm.) I’ve printed hundreds of these images, typically resampled to the printer’s native resolution, in this case, 720 or 1440.

The second mystery: Because I had returned the Epson, I used my wife’s office, all-in-one printer, the HP Envy 5660, to print the glossy 4x6 photo paper, and that’s been working fine for weeks, until today, when I reprinted exactly the same image Iast did, same settings, and the same, sopping wet print came out!

OK, the screen shots for the Epson and HP: Printer Settings — Motionpicturecard.com

I hope we can shed some light on all this. It’s a mystery to me that a printer could produce non-drying prints, rather than just badly printed ones, just from its settings, but that seems to be the case. I do appreciate your help very much, thanks.

Wait, so the same sopping wet print is coming out of a different printer? Your HP?

Test with printing to the HP with a different computer if so.
-Walker

Good idea, although I’ve printed to it from my laptop and from my desktop. This last bad print was from the laptop, so I’ll try the desktop now.

Just tried it again from the desktop, and I’m afraid it did the same thing! So weird, it’s as if the HP printer caught a virus from the Epson. It stretches coincidence pretty far to think that 3 printers now, suddenly go from printing just fine to totally wet. I’m at a loss, and I don’t think I should try to get another printer before I figure this out.
Actually,as I woite this, I printed a word doc on the HP, in black and white. There are two separate trays, one for 4x6 and another for letter. It printed fine.

By the way, that URL should have been www.dankainen.com/buyviewer.html

The only other thing I can think of is that you are printing on some other paper and printing on the back of it. . . . .

Are you an InkjetMall customer? This is not a technical support forum for non-IJM customers. I don’t think I can help you further.

Can you PM me your IJM customer id if you have one? If so I can move this to our technical support side and out of the open discussion forum. I can’t find your information.

best regards,
Walker

Nope, I’m careful about that stuff. I’m trying a few things now. I printed a perfectly fine print on plain letter paper, same image as I’ve been trying on the 4x6, and it printed fine, so I’ll try telling the printer that the 4x6 is plain paper, even though it’s glossy, and if that fails I’ll use glossy letter-size and cut it down to 4x6 if it works. Of course I need to get to the bottom of all this, but for now I have a deadline and need to do some prints by Monday.

I’m not a customer, but might become one if I can work this out somehow. I’ll let you know, thanks.

Weird, but here’s what I did that fixed it:
I set the HP for plain paper instead of photo glossy.
Everything else was the same; PS handles colors, highest res, 4x6 paper. It printed fine.
Then I tried the same, but let the printer handle color. No difference, except the color was duller.
Then I tried letting the printer handle color again, but specified glossy paper. Same, dullish print.
Finally I went back to the original settings that had come out wet: 4x6 glossy, PS color-handling, highest res, and this time it printed fine! It was as if telling it something different (plain paper) somehow re-aligned whatever was wrong. If there’s some explanation, I’d love to hear it, but for now I’m just happy I have a printer to do my tests with.
Thanks for the encouragement, because I’m not sure I’d have even tried if someone hadn’t at least acted like it might be possible.