Printer resolution test pattern image?

Dana,

Do you have a printer resolution test pattern image that can be used for testing or establishing the resolution of a printer using QTR-Print? One that you use for testing?

If you do, could you please send me a copy?

If not, is there one that you can recommend?

I’m trying to establish the resolution variance between different platen gap settings on the Epson Pro 3880 with various papers. I’ve been having problems with certain glossy papers occasionally having the print head touching the paper when the paper warps with ink loads. As I raise the head to avoid this, I’m wondering how much print resolution I’m giving up.

Thanks,

John

Dana,

Here is one that I tried: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15782478/Inkjetmall%20Forum%20Image/iso-gd-cb-955s%20test%20image%20printer%20resolution.jpg

This test file prints out at 4"x6". It seems to yield sufficient detail for relative comparison tests. I compared several prints of this with different platen gap settings on a 3880 and a 7880. The prints show large improvements using the vacuum platen on the 7880 over the 3880… even the finest line widths and lines per inch look great under 8x or 10x magnification on JCS Type 5… virtually no overspray… very clean lines.

If you have any resolution or gradient test images you find useful, please let me know.

Thanks,
John

Really, any image with a range of different width lines and various details will work well for a resolution, print quality and alignment check image. We have put together our own test image combining some images that contain a range of tone and fine detail, along with sections of lines ranging from 1-10pix width, in horizontal and vertical orientation. You can certainly make your own, or the image you referenced will work as well.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JohnB;780]Dana,

Here is one that I tried: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15782478/Inkjetmall%20Forum%20Image/iso-gd-cb-955s%20test%20image%20printer%20resolution.jpg

This test file prints out at 4"x6". It seems to yield sufficient detail for relative comparison tests. I compared several prints of this with different platen gap settings on a 3880 and a 7880. The prints show large improvements using the vacuum platen on the 7880 over the 3880… even the finest line widths and lines per inch look great under 8x or 10x magnification on JCS Type 5… virtually no overspray… very clean lines.

If you have any resolution or gradient test images you find useful, please let me know.

Thanks,
John[/QUOTE]

I tried this chart on my spanking new R3000 and found that every single line pair, under 10x magnification, was faithfully reproduced. This was true in both ABW and Color modes, using Epson Ultra Premium Presentation paper. In contrast, a print made with the Epson XP400 (a simple office-type machine) showed wiggly lines and color noise between lines.

Thanks for the chart, John.

Harry

You are welcome Harry!

John