Print darkens when I assign profile gray gamma 2.2

After completing a black and white print in Photoshop CC I flatten and convert to grayscale. When that is finished I assign the gray gamma 2.2 profile to the image and it causes the picture to become darker and it prints dark. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening?

Thanks, Jim

I assume you are printing Piezography?

Photoshop is not able to properly print Piezography since CS4. You need to use Print-Tool.

Walker

I am using Piezography K7 Selenium and I am not printing through Photoshop. I save the file as a TIFF and print with QTR. The image darkens in while in Photoshop.

Jim

Hi Jim,

As complicated as colour management is it can be greatly simplified by the following understanding:

Assigning colour profiles preserves the data but changes the colour association. Converting to a profile preserves the colour but rewrites the file data.

If you want to preserve the colours you are seeing on the screen convert don’t assign.

I am guessing your mode conversion to greyscale was either from Prophoto ( gamma 1.8) or into greyscale 1.8 ( check your colour settings in Photoshop) and you assigned 2.2 colours to 1.8 data.

Hope this helps

Paul

Walker,

I am using Piezography K7 Selenium and I am not printing through Photoshop. I save the file as a TIFF and print with QTR. The image darkens in while in Photoshop.

Jim

Sorry, of course.

Yes, Pall Lowry’s comment is the correct one. Assigning 2.2 over a layered image will mess the tones up.

Fatten and then convert.

Best,
Walker