Print Dark - Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper

Hi Dana,

I am making prints on Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper with K7 Neutral inks + 3880.
The prints came out darker than what I am seeing on my display, which was calibrated in 80cd, 5000K, Gamma 2.2.
And they are printed from Print Tool, the images are in Adobe RGB / Grayscale Gamma 2.2.

I attached screen shots of the linearization check as well as another one with Hahnemuehle Photo Rag 188gsm for your information.
And please let me know how to measure the 60% grays patches of Ink separation test print.

Please advise!

Hi Rin~

After reviewing your order history, I see you also purchased a set of Carbon and Special Edition ink bottles, but only one set of 3880 refillable carts. Are you changing ink in one printer, changing ink in one set of carts, and/or mixing ink to make your own custom tone?

Did you shake ink bottles before filling/refilling carts?
When did you fist install Piezography into this pinter?
How often is the printer used vs. how long does it sit unused?
What is the exact name of the curve you’re using with Exhibition Fiber paper?
What version Print Tool and QuadTone RIP are you using?
What operating system version are you using?

Please let me know, so I can help you past this and back to happily printing.
Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I also bought a set of Carbon & Special Edition as well as Neutral inks.
And I got 3 sets of 3880 refillable carts too.

Did you shake ink bottles before filling/refilling carts?

• Yes, I did.

When did you fist install Piezography into this pinter?

• I remember sometime in May 2015.

How often is the printer used vs. how long does it sit unused?

• I have been using once a week at least, but normally a couple days a week.

What is the exact name of the curve you’re using with Exhibition Fiber paper?

• 3800-3880-MPS-EpexFiber

What version Print Tool and QuadTone RIP are you using?

• QTR 2.7.5, and Print Tool 1.1.0.

What operating system version are you using?

• Mac OS X Yosemite

Thanks!

Any suggestions please?

Have you just recently experienced this darker output, meaning have you had a linear output previously with this system?

Since I started with K7 Neutral inks + Epson Exhibition Fibre, I got only the darker output.
However Hahnemuehle’s Photo Rag Baryta and the curve makes very close result compared with my calibrated monitor.

Just to cover all the bases, have you installed a previous version of QTR on your system OR is the 2.7.5 version newly installed on your New Yosemite OS?

We had some complaints about this exact problem previous to Yosemite 10.10 with the EXFiber paper curves being very dark. After extensive testing, it was solved with the removal of QTR 2.7.3 and under then downloading QTR 2.7.5, same with the Print Tool, it had to be replaced from the previous version 1.0.6 to 1.1.0.

Try this curve and let me know your resultsK7-X880-NU-EpEXFIBER.quad.zip (2.87 KB)

Thanks Kelly,

I tried the curve, but result is almost same.

The curves of type 5 and Harman Gloss make the prints darker too.
Only HPRB looks fine.

It may be that you will benefit from having a custom curve made for your system and Exhibition Fiber, or if you have a measuring device, you can use Roy Harrington’s Droplet tool to linearize your own setup.