Preferred cleaning routine for clogs in 4900

is there a preferred routine to remove pesky clogs in the 4900

ex:

2 regular cleans, 1 power clean, followed by a regular clean?

does something like this chain make sense?

Hi Stump~

The x900 and x890 seem to be more prone to clogging and flow issues than previous models (no matter what ink is used).
After reviewing your order history, I see you bought a set of 4900 refill carts with Special Edition K7 ink in February, then five more individual refill carts and Warm-Neutral K7 ink earlier this month. Please explain- are you using one 4900, and making your own custom ink set, or switching this 4900 from Special Edition to Warm-Neutral?

What position(s) are you experiencing clogging in?
When did this clogging begin?
What happened before the clogging began- were any carts removed, refilled, new carts installed, printer sat unused for a while, printer was used frequently, etc…?
How frequently are you experiencing clogging?
How often have you been agitating the ink cartridges?
About how many nozzles are generally missing, and how quickly/easily do the nozzles return?
How often do you use the printer vs. how long does it sit unused?
What are the temperature and humidity levels in your printing environment?

You can find some general printer maintenance/cleaning information here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance

Please let me know so I can try to help you get past this pesky issue, and back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

I am always able to remove clogs but even if I do a print session once a week I still get clogs and it can be annoying.

Super happy with my Piezzo inks though:)

That is why I was wondering if the 4900 clogged more often then the 4800 printers.

when cleaning need to be done is there any recommended cleaning cycle like:

regular clean, regular clean, power cleaning…

does any cycle work best in your experience?

You have two threads about the same subject, so I just answered some of your questions in the other thread.

I always recommend starting with the regular cleaning cycle, you can either do the regular/all, or regular/paired. I’ve personally had the best experience with the regular/all channel cleaning cycle, though that doesn’t mean everyone will have the same experience. No matter what printer model you’re using, you should not do too many power clean cycles in a row, or you can cause back pressure, which will make the nozzle check worse than before cleaning.

All the best~ Dana :slight_smile:

If you begin a new printing session and you perform a nozzle check and notice a couple of missing nozzles in (1) channel nothing major, you prefer to perform a regular/all cleaning rather then just to that paired channel?

is that right?

If you have missing nozzles in just one channel, then you can start by trying the regular/paired cleaning cycle for the pair that includes the color position that has missing nozzles. This works sometimes, but in my experience, I have noticed that occasionally, a nozzle in a different channel will sometimes be missing in the next nozzle check I print (I’m not totally sure how that happens, since my understanding is only the selected pair does the cleaning, though I believe the wiper blade may still wipe all head positions), in which case I move onto the regular/all channel cleaning cycle and normally have a perfect nozzle check after that.

Humidity and temperature are very important in the printing environment, and both too low or too high can cause issues with the printer, ink and papers- such as flow/clogging issues, as well as effect how paper takes the ink, and feeds thru the printer.

~Dana